Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zed

IDFA/IDKFA & Backpack

Hi there.

I was looking at the wiki and the article on the backpack states: "Using the cheat code idkfa or idfa to give the player all weapons and maximum ammunition does not give the player a backpack." Now, in the ZDoom wiki, in the cheat codes article, it says: "idfa-Equivalent to typing "give backpack; give weapons; give ammo; give armor" in the console." (and basically the same for idkfa). At first I thought it was some "enhancement" made by ZDoom, but when I tested in PrBoom+, I type idfa (or idkfa), select the chaingun (in Doom II, MAP01), and I proceed to kill the zombies in front of me. I keep firing until I am below 200 bullets (maybe 197-198), I pick up a clip... and it takes me to 202-203. How can this happen if I don't have a backpack? Anybody knows what's happening?

IDFA/IDKFA gives you the back pack in PrBoom-Plus.

Vanilla Doom 1.9 will not.

It's the only gameplay behavior I know of that -complevel will not recreate, which I think is fine. An all guns and ammo cheat really should have included the back pack to begin with.

IDFA/IDKFA does NOT give you the backpack in vanilla, Chocolate Doom and EDGE. It fills your ammo up to the non-backpack maximum value.

IDFA/IDKFA gives you a backpack in Boom and derived ports, Eternity and ZDoom based ports. It fills your ammo up to the backpack (doubled) maximum value.

These are just the ports I've tested with.

ReFracture said:

IDFA/IDKFA gives you the back pack in PrBoom-Plus.

Vanilla Doom 1.9 will not.

Mmmh, I was thinking something like that ("it most be a source port feature"), but I thought, "well, PrBoom is pretty close to vanilla, so this must be standard behavior", and I don't have my 90's laptop right now, so I couldn't test it "the old way". It seems I'll have to test this kind of stuff in pure vanilla from now on...

ReFracture said:

It's the only gameplay behavior I know of that -complevel will not recreate, which I think is fine. An all guns and ammo cheat really should have included the back pack to begin with.

Yeah, I agree. It would be interesting to know where the cheat code began to add the backpack, maybe in Boom?

EDIT: I just saw scifista's reply, which makes sense. But there's still that little issue about the complevel. Any reason for that, maybe just an oversight?

Zed said:

But there's still that little issue about the complevel. Any reason for that, maybe just an oversight?

It's just a cheat. Whoever uses it, already breaks the game. Also, it won't work while recording demos. I don't see a problem with keeping the Boom's fixed behaviour on -complevel 2. Entryway (PrBoom-plus developer) probably didn't see it as a problem either.