Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Not sure if relevant and/or appropriate here.

The true fact is that I was feeling nostalgic when I went back to the Hadephobia DWMegawad thread again and again, just to read about all mishaps I've done in my maps. About third or fourth chance I did so have I noticed that there is a strange feeling every time I read Dobu's very first review in the thread, concerning Katamori's MAP01. After I've figured out exactly what was the problem, the first thing to do for me was to inform Katamori himself about the phenomenon, to which he reacted in an immediate shutdown.

Take no offense or anything, both Dobu and Katamori gave me permission to share this bit of cheeky humor I've montaged and subtexted in Paint. Enjoy.

[EDIT made as 11-04-'18 - the previous link was pretty much dead overdue;]
Katamory_eng.png.fa33d13fa62f4f5c0cc3905eb819a040.png

Edited by Cell : Link broken, made good use of current platform and updated picture.

darkreaver said:

Somewhat reminds me of this :P
[

Don't worry, when there is a will, there is a way to defecate SP_ROCK everywhere :P

lol Cell :)

Also, these screens look quite atmospheric with the starry sky cannonball.

Meanwhile in ZDaemon:

Jimi: That map started with 4000 monsters total

Obsidian: Your tiny lifts were more of a problem than the 3D bridges, though I've seen far worse on both fronts :P Epic 2 MAP14(?) from just last week springs to mind. We did have to skip the AV jump though when -fast monsters + double damage was turned on.

Katamori said:

Cell, holy cr@p, I didn't expect you are actually going to post it here :D

I guess Dobu didn't either as I've told him I'll post it into a relevant-or-so thread, but I couldn't find any, and I thought opening a new one for this turns itself out as awkward, so I chose this solution. :D

Meanwhile, to take myself back to the point of the thread.

Here's a peak sneak from my upcoming one-map thing.

Spoiler

This isn't nearly that what you think. Never judge a book by its cover.

Not only I've got out of that shitty room, but I escaped without a scratch! How can it be?

Cell said:

Not only I've got out of that shitty room, but I escaped without a scratch! How can it be?

You turned off the illuso-pit?

Sodaholic said:

Is it just me or does the revenant's final death frame look even "dirtier" than the imp's? :P

Not sure what exactly do you mean by dirtier (maybe more ugly pixels?), but I'd definitely answer yes, IMO the revenant looks more dirty than the imp in every frame. :)

scifista42 said:

Not sure what exactly do you mean by dirtier (maybe more ugly pixels?), but I'd definitely answer yes, IMO the revenant looks more dirty than the imp in every frame. :)

I meant that the end of the Revenant's spinal column looks more like an open anus than the oft-cited dark shade between the dead Imp's legs. It is unlikely that either are intentional, however. When it comes to Doom 64's version of the Imp, however... yeah, I'm pretty sure that was an intentional asshole.

Yeah, not a very worthwhile discussion. :P

So I got inspired by Memfis' New Reality maps and I since got some community project stuffs out of the way, I decided to start making a vanilla compatible mapset of my own. The player starts with 35% health, Max health set to 35%. Few health items. What do you think?

I'm thinking about putting in a suicide bomber as a replacement for the wolfenstein SS, but I'm not very sure If I'm able to get it to work since this wad is supposed to be vanilla compatible.

Breezeep said:

I'm thinking about putting in a suicide bomber as a replacement for the wolfenstein SS, but I'm not very sure If I'm able to get it to work since this wad is supposed to be vanilla compatible.

DEHACKED based weapon and monster edits and even custom sprites can easily be made vanilla compatible. I have experience with that. Obsidian too.

It's going to be a little dodgy.

MBF has a special codepointer that kills the caller character. You can shove it in the melee attack, and make the monster explode after death.

In vanilla, you can just tie the death animation to the melee attack, but it will have a side effect: the character will explode once, kill itself with said explosion, then explode again.

You're right, it's not going to be that simple to make a suicide bomber if you don't want him to explode twice. There are a few possible vanilla workarounds, but all of them need sacrifices:

-Replace Spider Mastermind with this suicide bomber. Then he won't kill himself with his own explosion. You can change their editor numbers so that he'll be placed in the map as a WolfSS, even though it replaces SMM. But he must have zero pain chance, otherwise he might get out of its "melee death" animation and continue running around alive.

-Sacrifice one monster's projectile. Make the suicide bomber fire this projectile upon melee. The projectile would disappear immediately, but just before that, it would perform a rapid succession of melee attacks towards the suicide bomber himself (it's possible), kill him and make explode this way.

And finally, the way that I see as the best one:

-Assign both standard and gibbing death animation to him. They both may look like an explosion, but the "standard" death will make an explosion, while the gibbing death will not! When he explodes in melee, and provided that his health is lower than 64, he will enter his gibbing death and not explode again. If he's killed by the player's shotgun / SSG / chaingun / lower weapon, he will surely enter his normal death, and explode once, which is right too. Killing him with a rocket, plasma or BFG doesn't guarantee whether he'll explode or not, though. I would personally find this to be acceptable.

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I wonder how I'll be able to put in the screaming sound of the suicide bombers from the serious sam games.