Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kate

A_RandomMod - The most GZDoom mod GZDoom has to offer

What is this mod about, you ask? It's about the pinnacle of GZDoom and the many, many DECORATE features that it has to offer as a source port.

How bad can it get? Well... It has a lot of features. A lot of features. And this mod will expose you to all of them. Constantly. Relentlessly. All at once. You will be crying tears of joy, of sadness, of frustration. If you survive, you will be the hero of all of the kingdom of GZDoom features. Graf Zahl will personally mail you a tiny violin for your troubles. (He won't.)

The rules are simple: Random events are selected to happen as you play, cycling through one at a time, or applied “permanently” from the start of the game (or from when you last died if you're pistol-starting maps).

However, these events can do practically anything to your game, even changing how the dynamics work entirely, for example suddenly leaving the ground and flying away, or monsters becoming psychedelic resize machines. There's no restraints for what an event can entail.

This is the charm of it: You just have to deal with the hand you were dealt and survive however you can, if you can.

Here's a small sample of the sort of things that can happen while playing, if you don't mind slight spoilers:

Spoiler

Recommended way to play: With respawning.
Add the following to GZDoom's command line:
-host 1 +set sv_noweaponspawn 1 +set gl_enhanced_nightvision 0
Or you can brave it in Single Player. But be warned: You can be caught in horrible death loops if you do so. If you choose to play this way, turn off autosaves and pistol start when you die. You will be thankful you did.

Good luck, and have fun.

Download here

PS: Want a heads up on what's going on? Can't play like a real, hardcore GZDoom player? Can't quite stomach it like Cyberdemon(numbers) can? “A_Quiet FALSE” in the console will give you some rough idea of what's coming around each corner. Not that it'll help much, but at least you'll have some warning. Don't choke!

PPS: Doesn't work? You need the latest GZDoom. The one at the top.

IMO, complete randomness sucks, sorry for the heresy and not enough appreciation. It was still entertaining for a minute. Nice work, just not for me.

By the way, I updated the post with a video, in case you have no clear idea what this mod is about.

The mechanic is simple: Random stuff happens periodically while you play. It can help you, hinder you, or be totally harmless. You are at the total mercy of the Random Number Gods, they can be nice and give you all weapons and full ammo, or they can be nasty and revive everything in the entire map for you to fight again. Or both! The result will be different every time.

I just have to ask - Is there any chance that this was inspired by Mario 64 Chaos Edition? It's pretty much an exact equivalent but in Doom form. Which is fucking awesome. All it needs is for the occasional texture and palette swapping at random and it'd be perfect! I wonder if that's possible?

Well, judging by the video, it looks interesting.

But... are those... puppies?

Doomkid said:

All it needs is for the occasional texture and palette swapping at random and it'd be perfect! I wonder if that's possible?

I second this!

I take back everything I said. Just tried this, and I saw zombiemen corpses fly away like a soon-to-be-sad-child's balloon and then bounce around the room to the sound of a muffled subwoofer. And then GZDoom crashed.

I can only hope that the epic music that played for the first half of MAP02 isn't copyrighted, because that'd be a huge hamper on YouTube coverage.

If I could make a suggestion, perhaps more things that could happen. Like every monster getting stupidly high recoil with their attacks, or lamps chasing the player and pushing them around. Also, something M64 Chaos Edition did right was have effects overlap slightly, so things went from bad to "oh god no" to bad again in a most delicious fashion.

It works now.

I think I like the way the randomness of this mod seems to creep up on you; when I first started I didn't notice much difference except for the weird way the pistol seems to work and the way the enemies jump when you shoot them.

Then I died when I pressed the first end of level button. lolz.

In the next map, the enemies were all invisible. Nuts. Get to end of level, hit button, die again. Is this always going to happen?

The third level is where it really starts screwing with me. Sudden inexplicable night vision? Okay. Then it changed to this dark blue shit and OH GOD I CAN BARELY SEE

A stat counter pops up, for seemingly no reason at all. Hit end level button, die AGAIN.

Next level: it's still dark, which is probably why I die quickly. At this point I stopped playing to post my first impressions here.

Overall, I think this has the potential to be hilarious, although having the level end button always be lethal could get tiring quickly. I don't think players should be forced to always do pistol starts, even in a silly mod.