Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Unboxing and playing Greek Famiclones

Maes sent me some dumb PAL format Famiclones sold in his local area. I recorded unboxing them and then playing what I could (one of them didn't work quite right).

I cursed quite a bit and wasn't all that professional or mature in my presentation, being quite casual, but that's just me harshly judging myself. If I ever do anything like this again, I'll try to aim for a higher level of quality. Judge for yourself, I guess.

I have TONS of famiclone/bootleg shit, I'm a big collector.

This is really entertaining me so far, and I'm fucking ROFLing at the stereotypical Sodaholic comment.. "I always wanted to play these games in the wrong aspect ratio!" Hopefully I can get trhough this video in installments without capping my itnernet.

Thanks for posting!

I've always pronounced him Mayes. You might be right. If you have an edited slicker version of this video you can probably get millions of hits. People love knock off consoles.

I also lost my mind when I saw the cat. Wow MK + Spiderman on the same cart. I'm loving this.

Dayumn that's a fucking hand gun. People will be cutting off the cord and robbing grocers.

I wonder if Ouya can be a big hit over there and let them play real games or if even that is way too expensive and that's why they're stuck in the 8 bit age.

That DBZ game is a piece of shit port of Super Butoden 2 on the SNES, which is actually really fun. The Famiclone one is fucking awful, no tactics or anything, just pure button mashing..

If you guys like bootleg garbage, I've compiled some interesting HKO/Backport title screens from Genesis/SNES.

I own most of these turds... Why I'm obsessed with them, fuck, I don't even know.

I've been considering doing some famiclone review things, but I think Soda's comments are funnier than mine would be. I'm with geo, if you find a better way to record the video output you probably could get quite a few views!

EDIT: Fuck it, I rarely get a chance to talk about famicom shit, so I'll go all out. These multicarts you have do the age old trick of including a few HKOs or backports to "reel you in" (yeah right) and then flood the rest of the slots with 1985 black box NES games.

Sometimes the sticker on the back of the cart includes a list of games, which you'd think would be a nice touch if it wasn't usually full of lies. You'll see SMB1 listed as "Mario Galaxy", Galaga as "Mass Effect" and so forth, Mario spriteswap clones (like that Tiny Toons one) out the wazoo.. Ridiculous claims which reek of a Chinese sweatshop. I especially love the Mortal Kombat that is somehow 4, Trilogy, and 5 all at the same time. Worst Mortal Kombat clone EVER made.. Surprisingly, there are decent versions of MK for the NES.

I own a half decent version of Super Mario World which I got for kinda cheap. This thing sometimes goes for $150 or more.. I guess I'm lucky.

Watched it last night. Pretty interesting seeing the evil fake Playstations made to trick kids into thinking they're Playstations, and seeing the XAEVERECXE speak of Maes' homeland. You probably could've zoomed into the Tv a bit more, maybe aligned the camera with the edges of the screen but whatever.

Also, having now seen Doomkid's video, it's very interesting to see Yoshi running almost competently on the NES when Miyamoto has stated that Nintendo engineers couldn't fathom getting him to work (It's not known what Yoshi's original concept was, though. Could've been something batshit crazy and what we saw in SMW was the latest, sanest rendition).

Maybe with some decent programmers we could've had something radical. I'm surprised the community hasn't done it right themselves-- but again, no SMW disassembly. I'm still unhappy about that, just look at what the Sanic fans can do with direct access to the machine code.

So much more could be done with these old Nintendo games, namely SMW, but the company has a sworn deathgrip on most of them. I can only assume they don't pull a Carmack by releasing source code / dev docs / etc because they don't want people to do what they did but better, thus perhaps cutting into their future market share. Just a stab in the dark though -- could be way off base.

In a way it makes me appreciate how good a select few of these Chinese developers actually were, to be able to almost recreate full-fledged 16 bit games on the much weaker famicom. We have a fairly strong online community of OS game modders and stuff and relatively few have done stuff like that - Hummer team was pushin' them out like no tomorrow back in the mid 90's. Clones like Earthworm Jim 3, Sonic/Somari, SMW, Mortal Kombat II Special, Street Fighter III, Aladdin, and so on utilize so many tricks people didn't think possible back in the heyday.

God there just aren't enough demakes. I love this kind of thing, thanks Doomkid and others for posting their stuff :) .

Just watching the unboxing, major laughs when the PS knockoffs flipped open to reveal a cart holder in their disc shaped bays. Also, some major advertising for Walther there, or maybe the devs were just James Bond fans. Now please, more cat.

Edit: Also, is really pronounced "Maws"?

The funny thing about the Mario World NES bootleg, the best song in the game is the ending theme, which is the only original one. As in they didn't even bother to port the actual song from SMW for whatever reason.

In fact to be honest, I really love this song. There's just a wholesomely joyous sound to it. How curious!

I definitely agree about it being the best song in the game, and that's probably because the piece is original. The only other two tunes that sound "good" are the donut plains music, which is damn close to the SNES version, and the ghost house music, again for being so close to the source material. The normal stage music just sounds... Off.

The composer for the pile of crap game Tagin' Dragon went on to hummer team later on, it seems..

"pink lemonade, made from pink lemons!" holy shit that made me laugh my ass off! These videos are gold.

EDIT: "Beef jerky, for big stron American man!" Good god you guys have given me lots of entertainment with these videos, I love it.

He sounds a lot sexier in person. Otherwise, I always imagined him speaking as an American midwesterner trying to sound Miami ghetto.

"BEEF JERKY, FOR STRONG AMERICAN MEN, U.S. MARINES EAT THIS, MOTHERFUCKER!" I think the Doomguy too eats Beef jerky...

You known, it reminded me me of dried horse meat:

Anyway, the famicom \ famiclone games you've got from Sodaholic are Gegege no Kitaro, SD Gundam Battle or some title like that and Dragon Quest \ Dragon Warrior...

You know, I never imagined Maes to be such a towering giant and with such a booming voice, but I guess that's people for ya.

PS, End of the second video? I hate it when that happens.

After hearing his voice, it's become apparent that Maes learned English from watching Rocco Siffredi.

Try making your own Beef Jerky. I followed this recipe and it turned out great. The Best part about this recipe is you can use an oven instead of a smoker or dehydrator. The only thing I did different was substitute the onion powder with paprika: