Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tracer

I can't seem to realign floor textures in doom builder 2. Help!

In my maps, nine times out of ten I run into the problem of having to relocate certain things like telportation pads because the textures are misaligned due to the grid pattern of the editor. I have tried everything I could think of, but I keep running into this issue, and then having to relocate these things at the cost of creative placement at times.

[/url]

You align the flats to the grid. 64 grid is your reference for this.

EDIT: You could also make a flat with modified alignments, like this one:

AD_79 said:

You align the flats to the grid. 64 grid is your reference for this.

EDIT: You could also make a flat with modified alignments, like this one:

So there's just no way to move the flats in each individual sector? I just have to move them according to the grid?

It depends on the engine. In classic engines it's impossible to align the floor and ceiling textures. It's possible in some of the advanced engines.

I'm not totally familiar with the format but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned several times that it's possible. Besides that, what's wrong with aligning flats to the grid? It's only been done that way for 21 years!

glenzinho said:

Besides that, what's wrong with aligning flats to the grid? It's only been done that way for 21 years!

Eh, that is a valid point. Thanks for trying anyway. haha

Not a prob. I can't find it now, but I'm sure there was a recent thread here or maybe ZDoom forums about aligning floors in UDMF. Have a search around for info or tutorials. Pretty sure you'd have to be mapping for ZDoom or GZDoom to use UDMF and I believe GZDoomBuilder may make this process easier. Good luck!

TraceOfSpades said:

...and nevermind, that didn't work.

In DB2 - switch to Sectors mode, right-click on the sector and click on the "Custom" tab. I can't tell from that screenshot which axis needs offsetting, so set a value of 32 for either xpanningfloor or ypanningfloor and test it. One will fix the problem, the other will look like AD_79's modified flat.

TraceOfSpades said:

...and nevermind, that didn't work.

GreyGhost already mentioned the procedure for Doombuilder2.
Every time you enter a value, you have to click OK to see the change.
see image below

However, Doombuilder2 is quite archaic by todays standards.
In GZDoom Builder, a floor, which is not placed properly on the 64x64 grid, can be aligned interactively in two ways

method 1 floor align icon

method 2 Properties - Surfaces menu
click the up / down handles to see the flat shift around

Kappes Buur said:

However, Doombuilder2 is quite archaic by todays standards.
In GZDoom Builder, a floor, which is not placed properly on the 64x64 grid, can be aligned interactively in two ways

method 1 floor align icon

The floor/ceiling align modes actually come from CodeImp's GZDoom editing plugin. That was never officially released, though, and is only available as source code from the repository (or the dev builds at http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/).

boris said:

The floor/ceiling align modes actually come from CodeImp's GZDoom editing plugin. ....

Thank you boris, for refreshing my memory.
I quite forgot about DB2's separate plugin GZDoomEditing.dll and having to bind different keys
to Preview mode and 3D Preview mode.

In GZDoom Builder these two modes are unified into one Preview mode and built right into the editor.
Plus, MaxED has improved upon the original code to make it more robust.

Anyways, in either editor's appropriate Preview mode, selecting the sector the flat can be interactively
moved with the cursor keys.

[additionally]
A feature in GZDB, which can come in handy when selecting and highlighting one or more sectors, is that the
highlighting 'sticks' when toggling between editing and preview modes.