Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

vdgg said:

MAP05 UV Speed can be below 20 seconds, you want to give it a try?

Map 5 Pacifist in 0:13.

I searched the other maps for more speed tricks but found nothing that would help much. :/

ttp5p013.zip

Dark Resolution 2008 - MAP06 - UV-Max in 6:57

NOTE: 1 Imp fails to teleport in (Thing 242 in Sector 1271) it's marked as deaf and skips it's teleporter linedef. You can confirm by viewing the area with free roaming camera mode (Hit 0 twice in the bottom right corner of the keyboard) after the trap is triggered.

If someone can prove otherwise, I'll be happy to redo this.

1st exit, target was under 7 minutes.

dr06-657.zip

That bridge is like the coolest 3D object I've ever seen in Doom. Oh, and that imp... I think you can get him to teleport. I suppose the reason it fails for you is because the destination is blocked by another imp (thing 241) that you don't kill. So if you just take care of him beforehand, you should be able to get true 100% kills.

didierbertrand said:

hi guys
can someone tell how to play this wad , for me it's impossible i go through the wall, impossible to take item, etc... thanks

How do you mean "go through the wall, impossible to take item"? It sounds like if you've triggered an All-ghosts bug.

Hmm, an interesting WAD. Prboom-plus prints this in stdout.txt about it:

P_LoadBlockMap: This map uses a large blockmap which may cause no-clipping bugs. Toggle the "Fix clipping problems in large levels" option in the "Compatibility with common mapping errors" menu in order to activate a fix. That fix won't be applied during demo playback or recording.

But that's a red herring. The blockmap is apparently OK. The WAD's directory in the wrong order: it has two sound entries (DSSHOTGN and DSPLASMA) between REJECT and BLOCKMAP.

Move those sound entries to the end with SLADE or delete them altogether. The built-in DEMO1 then plays back properly and you can record your own.

Be sure to mention it in the demo TXT file, so that those who download your demo and this WAD know what to do. Or perhaps Andy could host a fixed version, with a note in the comment field or in the WAD's ZIP file.

Here's a couple of half-assed demos I cooked up to feel a bit more alive.

Hellcore 2.0
Map09 Pacifist in 0:55
Map11 UV Max in 7:41

I also meant to record Nightmare's Requiem, but when I played it today for the first time in several years - I thought to myself, what a horrible slog it is, in fact; and I also discovered that at least one secret is unreachable in prb+. Well, screw it then. Influential map for me, no doubt, but in the end it's not worth it.

hc20-09-11-dem.zip

Ha! One HC2.0 demo in 2007 (not sure if it counts as a speedrun or a skaterun) and another in 2011; and now we got four more on the same day. If you record on a WAD like that you're definitely alive.

• BC_SP_01.WAD by Busted Corpse:
    - UV Max/Reality in one-two-three (heh) 1:23
    A paltry my-first-map WAD with a killer title ("Oh look! Another Military Base! Joy!") that is almost longer than the map itself. The idea is nearly non-existent but executed well.
  • Hellcore 2.0 (HC20.WAD) by Darkfyre & Fusion:
    - MAP01 UV Max in 9:28
    - Pacifist (!) in 2:12
    Can you say "moar HC2 demos"? People who record on non-demo-friendly WADs are cool.
  • PM1523 by Patrick Martin:
    - MAP20 UV Speed in 0:43
    - MAP23 UV Speed in 0:48
    The old farts among you may find the name familiar. Yes, he's one of the authors of The Talosian Incident. Is his solo effort anything like that unforgettable WAD? See the demos, read the TXT and find out.
  • RETURN01.WAD (Return to Phobos) by Michael Kelsey:
    - E1M8 NM Speed in 2:18
    Eight Barons, ten rockets and a couple of boxes bullets and shells in a race against Nightmare respawns. A new take on Grazza's original idea.
  • SHRIKE.WAD by Carlos Dwa:
    - UV Max in 8:57
    - UV Speed in 2:15
    Bizarre oldschool goodness from 1995. Features a fun Archies & Teleporters game.
  • WASTE1.WAD by Chris Hansen (wooo!):
    - UV Max in 4:28
    A small action-filled map. With the author's name like that it must be good, right? And it is.
  • XAOS.WAD by John Bly:
    - MAP01-MAP10 UV Speed + 100% Secrets Movie in 12:41
    More golden oldies, this time a whole episode packed with various ideas. Wildly inconsistent.
    As for the demo category: think "NM100S Lite". ;)

n_a-misc-feb05-2015.zip

Memfis said:

That bridge is like the coolest 3D object I've ever seen in Doom. Oh, and that imp... I think you can get him to teleport. I suppose the reason it fails for you is because the destination is blocked by another imp (thing 241) that you don't kill. So if you just take care of him beforehand, you should be able to get true 100% kills.

Thanks for the observation Memfis! =D

Still bogus map design though -.-

By the way is their going to be another FDA Demo contest this year?

didierbertrand said:

Oh no THIS WAD!?!

Edit: pls state next time you didn't use bridge.deh, it's super easy without it.

• Doom Commando (COMMANDO.WAD) by icecreamsoldier
    A modern seven-level WAD with oldschool gameplay that might be a precursor to D2RELOAD - compare the design, the authors' names and the stories in the TXTs. Could this really be eschdoom's debut?

· MAP01 - UV Max in 8:11
    · MAP02 - UV Max in 3:22
    · MAP03 - UV Max in 4:09
    · MAP04 - UV Max in 4:53
    · MAP05 - UV Max in 3:06
    · MAP06 - UV Max in 4:31
    · MAP07 - UV Max in 3:27

▪ MAP01-MAP07 - UV Speed in 9:19

• Quest for the Red Key (QRK.WAD) by John Nelle
    A collection of four levels in "good old doom2 trash style", to quote Hitherto. If this description doesn't get you all hot and sweaty you can add "a newfag" to your resumé.

· MAP01 - UV Max in 5:30
    · MAP02 - UV Max in 5:52
    · MAP03 - UV Max in 4:16
    · MAP04 - UV Max in 6:43

▪ MAP01-MAP04 - UV Speed in 6:15

n_a-misc-feb27-2015.zip