Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Broken Pencil

Help with UDMF

There is a recent problem I have been coming across. Basically, when I try to place a powerup in any "Doom in UDMF format" map, the only powerup that shows up is the berserk pack. When I try to place a partial invisibility or a rad suit, it never shows up in game and in the 3D viewer. They will only show up in Doom in Doom format.

Help us out with more information so we can help you.

What editor and version are you using?
Your map or at least a screenshot would be good, for example:

Sometimes, reinstalling the editor fixes problems.

You've either spoilt your map editor's UDMF config, or you are using a custom DECORATE that messes with these items or uses the same editor numbers they have.

BUMP:

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread. Anyways, I have the same problem in all formats, more specifically, with decorations. I'm trying to make a map called UAC Vs. Trioptimum, and I want various robots to stand around the map, but for some stupid reason, they will only appear in visual mode. I've tried changing the height and radius of the decoration, but there's no use.
Here's a picture:

This time I'm using Doom builder 2 as it seems superior to me.

Download: http://liambrocklehurst.com/uploader/files/275/Capture%20Da%20Flag.wad

This time I'm using Doom builder 2 as it seems superior to me.

Well, it's literally an inferior version of GZDoom Builder, but whatever floats your boat.

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread. Anyways, I have the same problem in all formats, more specifically, with decorations. I'm trying to make a map called UAC Vs. Trioptimum, and I want various robots to stand around the map, but for some stupid reason, they will only appear in visual mode. I've tried changing the height and radius of the decoration, but there's no use.

Their Spawn state has a duration of -0 tics, which is the same as 0 tics, and then it leads to a Stop statement which removes the actor from the map. So, essentially, the robots are spawned, last for 0 tics, and then remove themselves. You'll either want to give the state a duration of -1, which is forever, or a positive integer and then replace the Stop with a Loop, which Loops back to the previous state label.

I did exactly as you told me to (Change -0 to -1), but it's STILL broken. It just never shows up in game. I'm using Skulltag in Hexen format, so that's why I'm using DB2.

I've just noticed you have the markers wrong, too. It's SS_, not S_; the robots are spawning perfectly fine ( just try walking where they are, they'll block you ), but the sprites are flat-out not being loaded. Changing S_START to SS_START and S_END to SS_END should fix that.

Edit: I've also noticed that the sprites aren't aligned, so even when you make them load they'll be appearing in the floor. You'll need to align them to fix that.

Also, GZDoom Builder supports non-GZDoom formats. Its title comes from the fact that it has several improvements that allow GZDoom features to be used more easily, like dynamic lights and 3D models. It also makes general ZDoom features a lot easier to use, too, like 3D floors and UDMF texture alignment ( you can align upper, middle, and lower textures individually in UDMF ).

Since you are mapping for ZDoom:

1. change the P_ markers to TX_ markers
2. move the textures in between the TX_ markers
3. change the sprite SBOTA0 to the correct offsets
4. in DECORATE set the actor from -0 to -1
5. delete TEXTURE1 and PNAMES, ZDoom does not need them

ninja'ed :)

Broken Pencil said:

This time I'm using Doom builder 2 as it seems superior to me. I'm using Skulltag in Hexen format, so that's why I'm using DB2.

Don't use that format, and don't use Skulltag (if you do). UDMF format is superior to Hexen format in flexibility. And Skulltag has been dead for several years already, and has been practically replaced by its successor, Zandronum. You can make maps with Skulltag stuff by using skulltag_actors.pk3 as a resource wad in any ZDoom-based port.

Broken Pencil said:

.... I'm using Skulltag in Hexen format, ....

Use its successor Zandronum 1.3, GZDoom Builder supports it.

ninja'ed again, darn :-|

Poor Kappees losing time with screenshots and others are ninjaing him :-D :-D :-D

Dat post overdetailing!

VGA said:

Poor Kappees losing time with screenshots and others are ninjaing him :-D :-D :-D

Dat post overdetailing!

At least I was trying to help to find a solution to Broken Pencil's problem.

Perhaps in future you could post something constructive, instead of inane drivel.

I was just trying to cheer you up, wtf. I used 3 smilies to try to avoid misunderstanding, in vain.

Thanks everyone! A few things to say:

1. I'm aware that UDMF is superior to Hexen format, but Hexen format was the only option I had. Plus, I didn't have Zandronum: Doom 2 (Hexen Format) as an option, so I chose Skulltag because that's what I'm familiar with.

2. I had no idea that texture alignment was a thing in Slade 3, or in doom editing in general, as I thought that most sprites would be auto aligned in game.

3. I noticed a few other maps that had S_START/END as opposed to the latter (SS_START/END).

4. How DID you get new formats in Gzdoom builder?

5. I would like feedback on the map so far.

:D

Broken Pencil said:
5. I would like feedback on the map so far.[/B]

Well, to be honest it doesn't look too thrilling. Having to go through the opponent's spawn can be a risky design choice, especially when trying to grab the flag leaves you right in the vision of freshly respawned enemies. Granted, this also goes the other way, too; respawning leaves you with nothing but a pistol, and you spawn on marked locations, making it incredibly obvious where you'll come from. This'll make spawn camping incredibly easy, as attempting to fight a fully-armed opponent with a pistol does not end well.

Also, the room to the side really breaks the the potential flow; if that's where respawned players are meant to gear up, then that means they have to head into a cramped room that they have to turn around and walk out of the accomplish most maps handle upon respawn by sticking basic weapons under the player's spawn points. Not only does this cause the spawn camping issue I mentioned earlier, but forcing a player to go a completely different direction than the flag to get their basic weaponry is basically needless padding, especially if multiple people go in at one and end up blocking each other in.

There's not much else that I can say about it, but at this current stage it seems like a map that would be frustrating to play because it doesn't seemed designed for Doom CTF in mind.

Broken Pencil said:

4. How DID you get new formats in Gzdoom builder?

You have to specify, and set up, which configuration(s) you want to use in Game Configurations (F6).

Arctangent said:

There's not much else that I can say about it, but at this current stage it seems like a map that would be frustrating to play because it doesn't seemed designed for Doom CTF in mind.

I was trying to make a team deathmatch map, but I wasn't sure it would be token well by the community, so I changed it to Ctf. I thin one major problem is that I've never actually seen a CTF map in doom, so alot of things are pretty unbalanced.