Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

For the sarcasm impaired, I posted pictures of smooth mirror skyscrapers.

Yeah the buildings on the ending screen drawing are smoother than reality, it's also a low-resolution drawing instead of a photo.

Amusingly, there is one building with some detail on it (you can see columns of windows), and it's one that is mostly hidden behind the others. It's the burning building behind the other burning building.

Da Werecat said:

There's also no such thing as windowless skyscrapers made of stone.

The sky is brown in the other half of the image. perhaps the building's mirrors are reflecting that.

there is something I'm just found playing Quake 3:
every time I walked upstairs in q3dm4 I know - something is wrong, but never payed too much attention to it, but today I'm suddenly freezed in place staring at these "guts" and finally realized:

Apparently the serpent guards in Heretic are not wearing hats, and what I thought were eyes poking out of a shadow are actually their teeth.

It seems FLAT5_8 and FLAT5_7 were used as overlays to create BRICK2 from BRICK1, and ROCK5 from ROCK4, respectively.

It makes me wonder if any new and interesting variants of Doom textures are possible with this method.

Ribbiks said:

jesus man. how'd you find that out? o.O

Scrolling through the textures in SLADE one day, and the transition between ROCK4 and ROCK5 made me do a bit of a double-take. xP

So in other news, yeah this is fun. :) 25% seems to be the ideal transparency for the flat overlay, and it generates textures very similar to BRICK2 when BRICK1-colored textures are used.

I bet the mysterious building looks like that because there wasn't enough resolution to add windows. It's clearly a stylized office building with a highly reflective surface.

Memfis said:

Ohhh, so that's why it also uses the SLIME prefix? Thank you, this always bugged me.

I wonder if it was originally intended to be animated, representing an area that'd been flooded with water?

scifista42 said:

A thing about Heretic I've just found out: When I use the Tome of Power to upgrade my weapons, the Necromancer's Gloves (Heretic's equivalent of Doomguy's chainsaw) will drain health from enemies as they deal damage, and give this health to me. In combination with the high (chainsaw-like) fire rate, and relatively high pain chance of enemies, the weapon is extremely overpowered in this state. It consumes no ammo, and yet it allows me to safely kill all and any monsters in my way. Including the game's most powerful bosses Iron Liches and Malotaurs. Especially in ZDoom, where the melee attack is easier to perform, due to a fix to the way how melee hit check is performed. Only the final boss, D'Sparil, seems to be tough and powerful enough to kill me while I'm draining health from him.

I've always considered Heretic to be out of balance: All monsters have high HP while their reactions are slow, they move slowly and IF they have another attack than melee, it's just throwing slow projectiles with low damage. Which makes the game rather boring compared to Doom. But these powered-up Gloves are definitely overkill, more than anything else. You just run into enemies and watch them die, not having to care about your health, or even ammo - well, until the temporary powerup goes off. You can carry multiple ones and use them in a row. But I get it, it's how the powerup is supposed to work, and it's right in principle. Still, Malotaurs and Liches should have been immune to an easy win like that.

You forgot to mention that the gauntlets also have longer range when using the tome of power.

I just found out today that the Spider Mastermind (or should that be Spider Mistressmind?) is female.

Get away from me you bitch!

NoXion said:

I just found out today that the Spider Mastermind (or should that be Spider Mistressmind?) is female.

Good observation! I mean, I knew she was female, but the usage of male "Master" instead of female "Mistress" have never occured to me.

Well, I did notice that even reversed, the Icon of Sin says "You'll lie In bricks, at the end of the ambush."
Even though It's reversed, I can't unhear that to this day.

Tritnew said:

Well, I did notice that even reversed, the Icon of Sin says "You'll lie In bricks, at the end of the ambush."

Now that I've listened to the voice, and tried to imagine the words you've dubbed him, I'm really not hearing it, but the closest thing I can vaguely hear is: "Derp, life people in them internet", which doesn't make much sense. But maybe everybody just hears his own thing, and the voice can be used like an audio version of Rorschach test images. :)

Tritnew said:

Wow, it does sound like that.

scifista42 said:

Now that I've listened to the voice, and tried to imagine the words you've dubbed him, I'm really not hearing it, but the closest thing I can vaguely hear is: "Derp, life people in them internet", which doesn't make much sense. But maybe everybody just hears his own thing, and the voice can be used like an audio version of Rorschach test images. :)

Yeah, to me it just sounds like "en woo 'enied, eeen ex of the egg of the emwroosh"

scifista42 said:

Hmm, I do know that very much. But that's what I keep on hearin'. Like you said, everybody hears their own thing. And just for a little extra, I just found out that Bobby Prince (The composer for both DOOM 1 and 2) was a lawyer In the past. And I heard John Romero gived him some metal records and such for Inspiration, could explain how similar some tracks In the game sound with most metal and rock songs.
Though, he did know not to offcially steal, considering I said It was for Inspiration after all.

Very Interesting to find out more about the people at Id, Eh?

In a tight hallway where a hell baron stonewalls you into a dead end, intentionally attempting to get within melee range as often as you can so he stops to throw a fireball can buy you some much needed time to reload your super shotgun before you're hopelessly pinned. Sometimes taking a fireball or two in the process is better than getting shredded by his melee attack.

Tritnew said:

And I heard John Romero gived him some metal records and such for Inspiration, could explain how similar some tracks In the game sound with most metal and rock songs.
Though, he did know not to offcially steal, considering I said It was for Inspiration after all.

Bobby Prince was a lawyer before he was a musician. He knew the legal amount of sampling that he could do without getting into trouble. -- John Romero

One of my favorite quotes.

Doom II Map14

I just realized you can get into one of those small rooms at the end of the level, where a Shotgun Guy is sniping at you. When you get to the door leading inside the building (where you then run across a gap to get to the exit), go left and follow the path to a dead end. Turn right and face the building. You'll notice an indent in the wall that you can open. This leads to the small room where the Shotgun Guy is. It also contains a Medikit.

Liljoker10 said:

I found out that the sky for Knee Deep In The Dead was made from a picture of Yangshuo Cavern in China. Look it up.

Yes, I do know that actually. Watched the IGN video with John Romero playing DOOM with someone that works with IGN. It's a very Interesting thing to know.

I even use a photograph from that place as a cover image on Twitter. I even thought that it would be nice if someone made a map of this city, kinda like New York or Bytom. The sky for that is ready for the last twenty one years.

Doom2 MAP18 ends with you walking into an Exit with a water texture.

Doom2 MAP19 starts with you near a river, the implication being that the Doomguy swam from MAP18 to MAP19.

I literally just realized this although it was so obvious!