Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glenzinho

John Romero talks Doom on CNN

Interesting video, not a big fan of that dubstep music in the background (also, i heard Miku singing in 01:58? What?) i don't see how much works with Doom...

He's sure talking about Doom a lot lately.

walter confalonieri said:

(also, i heard Miku singing in 01:58? What?)

I think it was the turrets in Portal actually.

ReFracture said:

He's sure talking about Doom a lot lately.

Yeah it almost makes me wonder:

* Zenimax is surely expecting to spend a lot of money on advertising / publicity for Doom 4

* One of the most well-known aspects of the original Doom, crossing over into greater pop cultural awareness, are "The Two Johns"

* Neither of them are actually at id Software anymore

* Zenimax knows it could get a lot of mileage out of trotting out one of The Two Johns as at least a consultant on Doom 4 if nothing more

* One of them currently works for a company with billions of dollars in funding and is also currently involved in a lawsuit with Zenimax

* The other... seems somewhat more free...

Linguica said:

* One of them currently works for a company with billions of dollars in funding and is also currently involved in a lawsuit with Zenimax

* The other... seems somewhat more free...

I, for one, am really looking forward to John Romero Presents Brutal Daikatana.

Lol I love how they bluescreened his face onto the health bar. Reminds me of a homemade "FPS Doom" Youtube video I filmed back in 2007 by taping a video camera to my face. I also tried something similar with a bluescreen health bar but the lighting was shit and my face just looked grainy. Tis was still a fun way to spend an intoxicated evening though.

Marnetmar said:

Is it me or does Romero seem a bit intoxicated?

if he's working for Zenimax PR then they probably have him on a high dose of horse tranquilizers to prevent any unfortunate bitch-related advertising whoopsfuckery.

I thought coming off as a high as a kite surfer dude was normal for him.

How would anyone know zenimax or whomever would be paying him for this? He was no longer with ID even before zenimax acquired them.

I think he's excited about his new game that he's working on. I think its cool that what he's working on will have gun-like weapons, but not guns. The concept of killing people with military assault weapons is getting boring now IMO. The concept of deathmatch and horde gameplay can have limitless fun and unique ways of neutralizing your foes if you don't limit yourself to guns.

Though I kinda doubt that Zenimax PR is paying him, it's certainly an open possibility. Not that I mind; I very much enjoyed the recent reveals about the game's development such as those assets as well as the comments and remarks during the E1 playthrough.

Quasar said:

Maybe they SHOULD hire him for the game :P

I feel like Doom 4 should either go one direction or the other. While having John Romero as a consultant on the game would be cool, I think that may cause issues where some of the direction is coming from the old guard and some is coming from the new blood.

Either Doom 4 should be a full-on comeback for Romero or a fresh take from people who grew up as fans of the series. The former isn't happening for Doom 4 at least (maybe Doom 5), so he should probably stay as a spectator, which seems like what he wants as well.

I find Romero's voice very soothing, and although he's had some big career missteps along the way I respect that he didn't keep grinding away on FPS games forever.

I just came across the E1 playthrough he did with IGN on the 20 year anniversary, and listened to the entire thing (which I didn't anticipate). I learned more about the design process than I had from reading Masters of Doom, and it was nice to hear him say some very complimentary things about Carmack.

On a side note, this CNN gameplay footage is killing me, where the guy just keeps taking long range imp fireballs to the face. It's called "strafing," bro.

darknation said:

if he's working for Zenimax PR then they probably have him on a high dose of horse tranquilizers to prevent any unfortunate bitch-related advertising whoopsfuckery.

Not enough. They'd need at least 30 dinosaur tranqs.

Jaxxoon R said:

Not enough. They'd need at least 30 dinosaur tranqs.

And then he still might do some headbanging as he slowly winds down like a decelerating top.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I think that may cause issues where some of the direction is coming from the old guard and some is coming from the new blood.

That's already the case, considering Tim Willits is still at id.

BTW, I don't ACTUALLY think Romero is being paid on the down low to do anything with Doom, in case that wasn't clear.

dew said:

I thought coming off as a high as a kite surfer dude was normal for him.

Some people can't tell the difference between "Laid back & easy going" and "High as fuck". As if being relaxed isn't somehow normal.

Linguica said:

BTW, I don't ACTUALLY think Romero is being paid on the down low to do anything with Doom, in case that wasn't clear.

That's just what a lizardman would say.

Linguica said:

Ah, that's the first impression I got when I read your post. But yeah, it could certainly be that he's independently taking advantage of the spotlight potential, commercially for his own business, but even in a competitive personal sense versus Carmack as a key "Master of DOOM", without any immediate benefit from Zenimax.