Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Monsters that come through the floors.

Just discovered a pretty cool trick. I'm sure it's been discovered before...but for anyone who doesn't know it, here you go.

I wanted to make it so that I walk into a room, and it looks empty, but then when I walk in, a cacodemon pops up through the floor.

I made this happen on a wad I'm currently working on. I did this by making an 80x80 sector and made the floor height minus seventy two of whatever the adjacent floor is. So if your base floor is zero, make the value of this new sector -72.

Step two, place your monster in the new sector. Do not edit the sidedefs created when you lowered the sector. Leave them as exclamation marks.

Step three, create a linedef action that raises the new sector to the next floor.

What you've done is place a monster under a false floor that raises when you cross over a line. It's pretty neat looking.

Obsidian said:

So you discovered untextured linedefs then?

Re-read it. I discovered a way to use untextured sidedefs, sir. I'm still somewhat new to mapping, so I thought it was cool. This is my way of showing mappers that are even newer than me a cool trick. to give their maps some zest.

There's no need for you to shit on this. You aren't a new mapper, so this doesn't concern you.

I like to hide silent teleportation by putting a completely black midtexture on the outside of both teleport destinations, and a white one on the inside as well.

TraceOfSpades said:

Re-read it. I discovered a way to use untextured sidedefs, sir. I'm still somewhat new to mapping, so I thought it was cool. This is my way of showing mappers that are even newer than me a cool trick. to give their maps some zest.

There's no need for you to shit on this. You aren't a new mapper, so this doesn't concern you.

He's not shitting on it, he took everything you described and said exactly what it was. (the short version)

Jaxxoon R said:

I like to hide silent teleportation by putting a completely black midtexture on the outside of both teleport destinations, and a white one on the inside as well.

I'm not following. What do you mean by hide a silent teleportation?

There's a line special in Hexen and UDMF format that instantly teleports the player without any noise or fog effects. This can be used to fake room-over-room or just let the player go into passages and do things that seem to defy the level geometry.

The only problem is that this can lead to a noticeable skip if one is not careful in making the two transfer points look exactly the same.

The easiest way is the way I previously described, a sort of cheat.

Not bad.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

He's not shitting on it, he took everything you described and said exactly what it was. (the short version)

What was implied was essentially, "Good job dumbass. You discovered something that was right out in the open."

What I was doing was letting people who were unfamiliar know that they can leave the textures blank to get a false floor to make the illusion work.

I guess you discovered this oddity of the software renderer: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Fake_floor

Does any of Doomworld's Doom archaeologists know which map originally used this effect? I guess no main game used it, right?

Also I see the OP has a flair for the dramaric, no need, please chill.

Jaxxoon R said:

There's a line special in Hexen and UDMF format that instantly teleports the player without any noise or fog effects.

Even Boom has that.

TraceOfSpades said:

What I was doing was letting people who were unfamiliar know that they can leave the textures blank to get a false floor to make the illusion work.

That's great, but what do you think this forum would look like if everybody posted every trick that's been well known for 20+ years? A better place for this would probably be http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/57270-things-about-doom-you-just-found-out/

VGA said:

Does any of Doomworld's Doom archaeologists know which map originally used this effect? I guess no main game used it, right?

Depends on whether you count Final Doom as a main game.

TraceOfSpades said:

Every forum has their group of pricks.

Experienced people, who inform inexperienced people about their (understandable) mistakes or misconceptions, are not pricks.

Your mistake = creating an unnecessary thread.
Your misconception = thinking that newbie mappers will take your thread for reference.

scifista42 said:

Experienced people, who inform inexperienced people about their (understandable) mistakes or misconceptions, are not pricks.

Your mistake = creating an unnecessary thread.
Your misconception = thinking that newbie mappers will take your thread for reference.

That's a kinder way to say it. Thank you. I still stand by that Obsidian was being somewhat prickish, as he didn't inform me of anything.

VGA said:

I remember this trick at the end of map08 in plutonia. Probably was discovered earlier.

TraceOfSpades said:

That's a kinder way to say it. Thank you.

You're welcome. I honestly feel relived that you understand. :)

TraceOfSpades said:

That's a kinder way to say it. Thank you. I still stand by that Obsidian was being somewhat prickish, as he didn't inform me of anything.

:(

Sorry if I seemed a little blunt, I honestly didn't mean to be nasty about it. To be fair though. it is a fairly basic discovery that most mappers make by themselves. Damn interwebs and their lack of emotional conveyance.

Obsidian said:

:(

Sorry if I seemed a little blunt, I honestly didn't mean to be nasty about it. To be fair though. it is a fairly basic discovery that most mappers make by themselves. Damn interwebs and their lack of emotional conveyance.

You're all good, brother. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a hot head. There are no problems here.

Here, to make up for it you can try the wad I was making when I discovered this technique. It's short and simple, going to be an opener for a doom prequel I'm going to make. Be sure to load the mortres.wad and gothictx.wad texture packs when you load the game otherwise you'll get a lot of checkerboard.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ysrl13iskij9s2a/opening.wad