Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Well, doomguy steps into the lava and thinks "oh fuck, that's lava!" gets out walks over to the imp driving the Ferrari, kills him, steals it, goes to the inner city, gets jumped by a few barons, and then ends up in a dumpster where map 14 starts.

There.

That's clearly not what happens... We all know its a Porsche that the imp is driving thank you very much!

Actually, it's not lava at all. It's cheese. Moon cheese. Because Doom 2 secretly takes place in an Earth simulator on the moon.

Playing With Fire said:

Doom2 MAP18 ends with you walking into an Exit with a water texture.

Doom2 MAP19 starts with you near a river, the implication being that the Doomguy swam from MAP18 to MAP19.

I literally just realized this although it was so obvious!

I don't think it's a good conclusion and if it was made on purpose, it would have been more obvious. It's just a water texture that you walk on to exit the level. On MAP19, the water is just a loop that goes around the castle.

axdoom1 said:

I don't think it's a good conclusion and if it was made on purpose, it would have been more obvious. It's just a water texture that you walk on to exit the level. On MAP19, the water is just a loop that goes around the castle.

The exit in 18 looks more like some kind of water pipe he had to swim through. Perhaps the river around the castle in Map 19 is simply where he surfaced from? Obviously, Doom limitations keep you from seeing what's actually in that river or how deep it actually is.

MetroidJunkie said:

Obviously, Doom limitations keep you from seeing what's actually in that river or how deep it actually is.

Obviously, Doom limitations keep you seeing things that actually nowhere outside of your mind.

ABRACADABRA said:

Obviously, Doom limitations keep you seeing things that actually nowhere outside of your mind.

All I'm saying is it's possible since Doom's engine wouldn't have allowed anything to be under the surface of that water due to the engine's limitation of only one sector existing in a certain area of space at a time. Of course, then you've got the issue of the lava exit that was pointed out so maybe ID just somehow thought it looked cool. Seems like it would make more sense to use the standard pentagram texture for teleporters.

Jimmy said:

It seems FLAT5_8 and FLAT5_7 were used as overlays to create BRICK2 from BRICK1, and ROCK5 from ROCK4, respectively.

Well, this encourages me doing an experiment. Expect this post to be edited with the inclusion of results.

[EDIT]
Well...

This didn't turn out to be that kind of authentic, but still.

I was trying to recreate ROCK5 from ROCK4 and FLAT5_7 as well, but not only they overlaid the latter above the former, but also did some saturation dimming to the orangic rock texture. This was encountered while experimenting, and my method of MsPaint's mixture resulted in a way too realistic - no kidding - texture. Sadly it wasn't saved by me, due to the ignorance I was skipping to my next experiment which led to similar derailed results with RROCK10 and FLAT5_8.

Maybe the fate rulers from above are trying to tell me that I'm needed to experiment with some more advanced technology, e.g. Photoshop or Gimp...

MetroidJunkie said:

The exit in 18 looks more like some kind of water pipe he had to swim through. Perhaps the river around the castle in Map 19 is simply where he surfaced from? Obviously, Doom limitations keep you from seeing what's actually in that river or how deep it actually is.

Right behind the Map 19 start point is a relatively small box with the standard, unusable door you always see at the start of a map. But, right behind the box is the moat. So the box has no purpose unless it was some kind of service station for a water pipe or water system.

glenzinho said:

That's clearly not what happens... We all know its a Porsche that the imp is driving thank you very much!

All the imps in my neighborhood drive Oldmobiles with hydraulics and shit...
http://cdn.conceptcars.pics/images/www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1950-1959/1955-Oldsmobile-blue-grey-chopped-le.jpg

Oh, and I always thought the water on maps 1 and 2 was from the same stream. Actually, Underhalls is probably just the underground part of the same building as Entryway. After that it gets more confusing, since there's no intermission screen map like in Doom 1.

MetroidJunkie said:

Of course, then you've got the issue of the lava exit that was pointed out so maybe ID just somehow thought it looked cool. Seems like it would make more sense to use the standard pentagram texture for teleporters.

It's just something that *looks* like lava, but is some kind of non-harmful plasma.

glenzinho said:

Oh Lord, won't you buy me ...
... my Imps all drive Porsche's ...

Playing With Fire said:

Right behind the Map 19 start point is a relatively small box with the standard, unusable door you always see at the start of a map. But, right behind the box is the moat. So the box has no purpose unless it was some kind of service station for a water pipe or water system.

Wow, I never even bothered to look behind me. Good find, that brings it all together. XD

hex11 said:

The face in the middle of E1M7...

http://i.imgur.com/fEhxtMR.png

Hehe, I really doubt Romero made it intentionally, but it's nice when shown in this color scheme, where black 1-sided lines stand out above light grey 2-sided ones.

scifista42 said:

Hehe, I really doubt Romero made it intentionally, but it's nice when shown in this color scheme, where black 1-sided lines stand out above light grey 2-sided ones.

Speaking of which, I'm still mildly surprised that even Shareware Doom used dummy sector tricks, as demonstrated in E1M2, opposing the shootable door secret.

Cell said:

even Shareware Doom used dummy sector tricks, as demonstrated in E1M2, opposing the shootable door secret.

What's the use of this dummy sector? A shootable door works without a dummy sector, right?

axdoom1 said:

What's the use of this dummy sector?

Cell means the dummy sector opposite to the door, with zero brightness. It makes the glowing light effect work properly.

EDIT: This one:

Oh wow, I never noticed that. I've always assumed it had to do with the sector in the top right of that screenshot, which also flashes to 0 brightness. For a while I believed that glowing effect was possibly made by mistake and it was left in because it was so cool. Now that I think of it, a sector blinking down to 0 brightness wouldn't work to create that glowing effect, because the glowing sector would glow down to the blinking sectors "on" brightness, not its "off" brightness.

Weird.

scifista42 said:

Cell means the dummy sector opposite to the door, with zero brightness. It makes the glowing light effect work properly.

I knew there was a sector there, but I didn't knew it was necessary to make the glowing light effect work. Every time I tried to make this effect work in my maps, I failed, that's why.

I wouldn't call them dummy sectors, because they are connected to the playable area. There are sectors like this one on Doom 2 Map13 too, near the plasma gun for another light effect.

axdoom1 said:

I wouldn't call them dummy sectors, because they are connected to the playable area. There are sectors like this one on Doom 2 Map13 too, near the plasma gun for another light effect.

Though they may be directly connected to the playable area, they are not a part of it. They are very much sectors strictly for the purpose of making a certain effect work, and have 0 direct gameplay influence. Thus, dummy sectors would be a proper name for them.

axdoom1 said:

I wouldn't call them dummy sectors, because they are connected to the playable area.

I would. They are dummy, because they are irrelevant from a level design perspective, the player is not even supposed to know that they exist, and yet they serve a purpose: Enable some kind of an effect.

EDIT: What Arctangent said.

TNT Map30:

You can gun down the Icon of Sin without a Rocket Launcher (as the Romero head is directly behind the wall, as opposed to Doom II and Plutonia, where he is below the brain and only vulnerable to splash damage).

peach freak said:

TNT Map30:

You can gun down the Icon of Sin without a Rocket Launcher (as the Romero head is directly behind the wall, as opposed to Doom II and Plutonia, where he is below the brain and only vulnerable to splash damage).

Eh, what an ignorance in designing an IOS fight. They completely ruined the plot.

Though it is still better than the freakish count-your-proper-timing-while-in-crossfire method of the original game's showdown. And, at least, it leaves the - actually false - impression out that only rockets can do damage to an exposed brain.

About the dummy sector issue, I was clearly convinced that I misused a word I've never written and/or understood properly before (since I'm not a native Englishman and only speak and write in the language after learning it), but then I got reinforced in my statement. Well... the simple fact that noclipping into the area (while not in automap mode) results in nothing more than visual glitches, bleeding broken parts of the COMPTALL texture and FLOOR4_8 stuck to my chin implies the fact that the area isn't part of the gameplay, not even a secret/ambush unable to be discovered/revealed by some kind of designer's fault, since there are no pickups/enemy sprites present either. So the formula is clear: since the adjacent sectors are the same brightness (excluding the sector door, but it's still not of the darkness desired), they implemented a referencing sector to provide a minimum target brightness to the mechanism working properly.

Also: I don't know whether it is only present on ZDoom or in any of the ports/launchers/etc., but I've experienced that when I implement a blinking/glowing sector and all the referencing sectors are of the same brightness or even brighter than the one which was set to type 2/3/4/8/13 and so, the target minimum brightness sets to zero automatically. I also noticed that sector type 17 (light flickering) doesn't take effect when the brightness difference is higher than, like, 16 or 32 units between the lite and dim sector.

Cell said:

I don't know whether it is only present on ZDoom or in any of the ports/launchers/etc., but I've experienced that when I implement a blinking/glowing sector and all the referencing sectors are of the same brightness or even brighter than the one which was set to type 2/3/4/8/13 and so, the target minimum brightness sets to zero automatically.

Yes, this is a normal behaviour. Actually, it is used in Doom's E1M2, right next to the glowing sector mentioned above.
It applies to sector types 2/3/4/12/13, but not 1, 8 and 17, though. Sector types 1, 8 and 17 just won't glow at all if there's no dimmer adjanced sector.

Cell said:

I also noticed that sector type 17 (light flickering) doesn't take effect when the brightness difference is higher than, like, 16 or 32 units between the lite and dim sector.

You said it vice versa: In fact, sector type 17 takes effect only if the brightness difference is 32 or higher.

You can fire a bfg, walk into a teleport while its doing its initial charge up, then teleport into a new area, and release the bfg shot killing things in the room without waking up any monsters. When you fire the bfg, the monsters hear it the instant you press the fire button, but not when the shot is actually fired.

A part of me was pretty sure this was how it worked but I played a level that confirmed it.