Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dododamian

Some Speedmapping for heretic

So as some of you guys may know there isnt much heretic maps, so I decided to host a project called "Dodo's Heretic Speedmapping #1"

If you can help me with the project I would be really happy

For the first 1 you can choose 3 themes (you can also use any textures from any wad)

Cave : A dark cave filled with traps and many ghosts (undead)

City : A city filled with monsters

Fortress/Castle : A Fortress with many booby traps and a boss fight at the end

Now their are some rules :

Rule 1: the map limit is going to be 2 episodes so we just need 18 maps. (altough maps can be over the limit, if that happens I will have to choose)

Rule 2: The person that will make E1M4 MUST include a secret exit

Rule 3: The person that choose the Fortress/Castle theme must include the special trigger. (as it includes the boss fight)

Rule 4: This is for Vanilla heretic (can be played in g/zdoom)

Rule 5: Mapping will begin on the 13 of March and submissions will be chosen on the 14th of March

Rule 6: All submissions have to be posted any where (BUT with a txt file included)

Rule 7: Monsters cannot exceed 150.

And remember even beginners can participate even those that have started mapping.

Maps

(coming soon....Hopefully)

"All submissions have to be posted on mediafire" - this alone is a bad rule. Mediafire requires the uploader's registration, which some people might be against (like I am).

The project's organization also seems off: "Your map MUST take you 1 day (dont lie to me)"... Okay, let's say that it's just a rough, recommended guideline (unverifiable anyway).

Ideally, you should show your previous work (screenshots, map downloads, etc) to get people trust in you. You know, you're a random unknown nickname on the internet. You might need to give people some reason why they should even listen to you, not to say work for you.

Again, okay, your idea is obviously to center this project around newbies (like yourself, presumably), who don't necessarily have any experience at all - and yet at the same time, you try to enforce wacky limitations. That's... counterproductive, at least. And anyway, it doesn't give you a good chance to make anything good out of the project.

Finally, be aware that this "new project" situation is so common that there's this cliche statement:

[newprojecttag]
Dododamian, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
[/newprojecttag]

Maybe you would just try practicing some mapping yourself, showing your efforts to the community, getting feedback and slowly improving that way. Much better than outright applying for a manager's job without a skill or experience, in my view.

Nice idea Dododamian, but if you remove rule 6 (is just a silly restriction) and change into the vanilla / limit removing ports territory the rule 4 everything will be all right!

Also the time limit is pretty weird... so, there's to made a map in one day until the march 14th, but... is already started now? It will start soon? I can made map now? Or later? This will be already a bad setup when there's not a fixed date for anything like other speed mapping works like 32 in 24,the abyssal speedmapping sessions and so on.

Also, i had your same idea 5 years ago, but with a different time limit (24 hours for complete a map), here's the link to said sessions:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/v-hsms1.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/vhsms2-3.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=deathmatch/skulltag/v-hsms4.zip

I am actually against Heretic speedmapping for now. We need more good solid Heretic maps, a lot more, before we're ready to do speedmapping for it.

If you want more maps for Heretic, let's make a good solid episode. I actually have one I started a couple of week ago.

scifista42 said:

"All submissions have to be posted on mediafire" - this alone is a bad rule. Mediafire requires the uploader's registration, which some people might be against (like I am).

The project's organization also seems off: "Your map MUST take you 1 day (dont lie to me)"... Okay, let's say that it's just a rough, recommended guideline (unverifiable anyway).

Ideally, you should show your previous work (screenshots, map downloads, etc) to get people trust in you. You know, you're a random unknown nickname on the internet. You might need to give people some reason why they should even listen to you, not to say work for you.

Again, okay, your idea is obviously to center this project around newbies (like yourself, presumably), who don't necessarily have any experience at all - and yet at the same time, you try to enforce wacky limitations. That's... counterproductive, at least. And anyway, it doesn't give you a good chance to make anything good out of the project.

Finally, be aware that this "new project" situation is so common that there's this cliche statement:

[newprojecttag]
Dododamian, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
[/newprojecttag]

Maybe you would just try practicing some mapping yourself, showing your efforts to the community, getting feedback and slowly improving that way. Much better than outright applying for a manager's job without a skill or experience, in my view.

Sorry if im going to sound mean but,your seriously being a douchebag even on the other project

walter confalonieri said:

Nice idea Dododamian, but if you remove rule 6 (is just a silly restriction) and change into the vanilla / limit removing ports territory the rule 4 everything will be all right!

Also the time limit is pretty weird... so, there's to made a map in one day until the march 14th, but... is already started now? It will start soon? I can made map now? Or later? This will be already a bad setup when there's not a fixed date for anything like other speed mapping works like 32 in 24,the abyssal speedmapping sessions and so on.

Also, i had your same idea 5 years ago, but with a different time limit (24 hours for complete a map), here's the link to said sessions:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/v-hsms1.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/vhsms2-3.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=deathmatch/skulltag/v-hsms4.zip

Yes I remember seeing your project too, also they are pretty good, then again its speedmapping, also im changing some rules you can also map for this project (if you want, ill get some screenshots too)

Dododamian said:

Sorry if im going to sound mean but,your seriously being a douchebag even on the other project

You seem to have an aversion to criticism and advice, He's not being a douchebag, only trying to give you direction.

I'm glad Heretic is receiving more attention lately, but before you propose a project it would be nice if you had some work to show.

Edit:I'm not trying to come off as a prick or discourage you.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

You seem to have an aversion to criticism and advice, He's not being a douchebag, only trying to give you direction.

I'm glad Heretic is receiving more attention lately, but before you propose a project it would be nice if you had some work to show.

Sorry then, and as I said I will be giving pictures soon prefebaly

3rd of March

Dododamian said:

Yes I remember seeing your project too, also they are pretty good, then again its speedmapping, also im changing some rules you can also map for this project (if you want, ill get some screenshots too)

Thanks...

Anyway, i was thinking to asking you to participate in the ROP project (another Heretic project) but reading your answer to scifista, i think you already knew it and did somenthing that doesn't get the expcetations of everyone...

There's also a lot more project around like doomworld community project 2015 that actually takes every kind of maps (for doom 2)...

EDIT: Why the 3rd of march to show something or the map you did for this project?