Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

ZDoom for Raspberry Pi (New March 6 Release!)

ATTENTION! A new release!

https://github.com/sneakernets/zdoom

This new release works on the Raspberry Pi 2, and is recommended!

Now that we have custom SDL2 libraries from the RetroPie project, ZDoom now runs smooth as butter. I owe them everything.

X11 mode still doesn't work, you'll have to use it in framebuffer mode.

Try it out!

Original text:

In honor of Doom's 21st birthday, I decided to waste my time and "port" ZDoom to the Raspberry Pi. I used Chris's OpenAL fork as the base.

Go try it out or something.

https://github.com/sneakernets/zdoom/tree/openal

Here it is in action:

Note that it's not really usable unless you're in framebuffer mode.

EDIT: I merged in the latest changes in zdoom master, and fixed some gcc errors. It should play now with no issues.

Speaking of action, here are some Action screenshots taken on the Pi!

If you don't notice anything different, that's because there are no differences! Hooray!

Gez said:

If I had a Pi, I'd try that.

Theoretically, this should be compilable on any ARM system with Linux. So if anyone has a high-powered ARM device, they can play ZDoom.

Hi Csonicgo,

I have installed with success the ZDoom engine thanks your tutorial.
But I would like to know how to have ZDoom in windowed mode (As your first screenshot) ?

Thank you !

SolomonKane said:

Hi Csonicgo,

I have installed with success the ZDoom engine thanks your tutorial.
But I would like to know how to have ZDoom in windowed mode (As your first screenshot) ?

Thank you !

unfortunately, you need to set vid_forcesurface to true before you run zdoom. you'll have to stick it in the config somewhere.

you need to set vid_forcesurface to true before you run zdoom. [/B]

I modify the following file : src/posix/sdl/sdlvideo.cpp

-CVAR (Bool, vid_forcesurface, false, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)
+CVAR (Bool, vid_forcesurface, true, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)

But Zdoom stay in fullscreen mode...

SolomonKane said:

I modify the following file : src/posix/sdl/sdlvideo.cpp

-CVAR (Bool, vid_forcesurface, false, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)
+CVAR (Bool, vid_forcesurface, true, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)

But Zdoom stay in fullscreen mode...

Ah! okay, you'll have to set fullscreen to off in the video mode selection in the "set video mode" under options.. That should work. if not, I'll have to look into it.

set fullscreen to off in the video mode selection in the "set video mode" under options

I do that but Zdoom stay in fullscreen mode.
There is another problem when I go to ZDoom console, the commands that I type are not display in the ZDoom console but in the terminal.

I must try. Does it run faster than Chocolate-Doom at high-res? (i.e. When running windowed on the desktop, Chocolate-Doom's frame rate is getting slow at 640x480 on a normal Pi and it's getting slow at 960x720 on an overclocked Pi)

VGA said:

How do you run Choco Doom at 640x480?

chocolate-doom -window -geometry 640x480

I know Choco can be run at 1920x1080 without lag inside the terminal, but I want to know if ZDoom performs better than Choco if it's ran in windowed mode with the desktop environment loaded.

With the release of the RasPi 2 this year, I will resume work on this. The main problems right now are firmware related. I cannot debug zdoom on the RasPi because of illegal instructions (swp instructions were disabled in Linux for ARM).

SDL2 is also being a pain in the neck.

The best way to get around this is to have a native video backend for the RasPi, and the SDL1.2 input code may need to be brought back just for the RasPi to operate properly. ZDoom + SDL2 is failing on capturing keyboard input (I keep having to Alt + SysRq + R constantly), and is likely causing stack slammage in zdoom itself.

Since none of the developers of ZDoom have a Raspberry Pi, I can't really confirm any of this.

Csonicgo said:

Theoretically, this should be compilable on any ARM system with Linux. So if anyone has a high-powered ARM device, they can play ZDoom.

That would be very useful for Android devices if D-Touch (With GZDoom) wasn't already on it. =S

Csonicgo said:

With the release of the RasPi 2 this year, I will resume work on this. The main problems right now are firmware related. I cannot debug zdoom on the RasPi because of illegal instructions (swp instructions were disabled in Linux for ARM).

SDL2 is also being a pain in the neck.

The best way to get around this is to have a native video backend for the RasPi, and the SDL1.2 input code may need to be brought back just for the RasPi to operate properly. ZDoom + SDL2 is failing on capturing keyboard input (I keep having to Alt + SysRq + R constantly), and is likely causing stack slammage in zdoom itself.

Since none of the developers of ZDoom have a Raspberry Pi, I can't really confirm any of this.

I'm going to end up buying a Pi2 because of your work. :)

ATTENTION! A new release!

https://github.com/sneakernets/zdoom

This new release works on the Raspberry Pi 2, and is recommended!

Now that we have custom SDL2 libraries from the RetroPie project, ZDoom now runs smooth as butter. I owe them everything.

X11 mode still doesn't work, you'll have to use it in framebuffer mode.

Try it out!

I can't get libuv-dev to compile correctly. That's all that is holding me back.

EDIT: Got it, I just ignored the errors from "make check"

Superluigieth1 said:

That looks good, but is there higher resolution? Maybe yes, but I don't know.

Since this post, Raspberry PI support is now in the main source tree for ZDoom, albeit with no X11 support yet. Resolutions go as high as the output can handle.