Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood coming soon!!!

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a standalone expansion pack for Wolfenstein: The New Order developed by MachineGames, set to release on May 5th 2015. It will contain two new chapters set before the beginning of the game.

In the first chapter you will infiltrate Castle Wolfenstein to find the coordinates to Deathshead's Compound while in the second you will fight an “obsessed Nazi archaeologist exhuming mysterious artifacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power.”

More details and trailers are going to be released on March 6th and 7th so stay tuned.

They mentioned new enemies and weapons but I'm not sure how original they will actually be. They might actually be reskinned assets. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Flamethrower.

If there are two things I thought were sorely lacking in TNO they were more castle exploration and a city level. While the first mission was pretty good I ultimately thought far too little time was spent in castle environments and this is going to rectify it. Not only that but we are actually going to visit Wolfenstein again.

Finally, while a bavarian city level is going to fill the gap of a city level although it's not going to be made in the 60's style from the alternative timeline which is a shame because I wanted to explore that timeline more intimately. Oh well, maybe in another Expansion. I am hoping to see more secrets and nonlinearity in the castle and Duke3D style gameplay in the town.

Here is the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgaGHXlYhU

The trailer looked stupid as fuck. Why the goofy presentation? It's a massive contrast to the serious and dark presentation of the original game.

It's Wolfenstein. It's supposed to be like that. This is a series where you fight Mecha Hitler wielding 4 chainguns.

DooM_RO said:

It's Wolfenstein. It's supposed to be like that. This is a series where you fight Mecha Hitler wielding 4 chainguns.

I don't know. Were any of the wolfenstein games except the originals actually that comical? I actually rather liked the grim tone of the last 2 games. I mean in New Order you actually fight through a fucking death camp. It just feels jarring moving from that and into toontown.

*Watches Youtube video*

Notice how nearly every single comment on every single Bethesda video trashes whatever game is being shown demanding Fallout 4 or a new Skyrim. Every fucking time. I wonder what will happen when Doom 4 gameplay is finally revealed? "OMFG THIS SUCKS WHERE IS FALLOUT 4?? WHERE IS SKYRIM??" Do people still not realize that Bethesda is also a PUBLISHER?

It has a vibe very reminiscent of the old action serials or movie trailers from the 40's-50's, which fits it quite well actually.

Also, Action!

I hope it's more replayable than TNO. That one's only good for a single playthrough.
Maybe the town section channels some of that Wolfenstein 2009 magic.

RUSH said:

*Watches Youtube video*

Notice how nearly every single comment on every single Bethesda video trashes whatever game is being shown demanding Fallout 4 or a new Skyrim. Every fucking time. I wonder what will happen when Doom 4 gameplay is finally revealed? "OMFG THIS SUCKS WHERE IS FALLOUT 4?? WHERE IS SKYRIM??" Do people still not realize that Bethesda is also a PUBLISHER?

People are still wanting their shallow,lifeless Bethesda RPGs? Its sad that this is how people think cRPGs are supposed to be like when it couldn't be farther than an actual RPG.

As shallow as Skyrim's gameplay is, the series on the whole deserves a *lot* of credit for its impressive world designs. Tamriel is captivating as fuck.

So is this over writing Return and Wolf2k9? Or is like a visual update of the Return levels with new areas? I noticed the trams are still present, for one. I figured the last three Wolf games were all on the same timeline now, with Deathshed and all being in each one and BJ talking in the last two (Well actually he talked in the Xbox port of Return).

Unless they throw away and redo EVERYTHING except gunplay I'm not interested. They should stop trying to write a story and instead focus on pure action and level design. Since this is an expansion, a shorter experience, chances are they won't get a chance to prolong the game with their stupid narrative or pointless walking sections.

To each their own.
While Wolfenstein definitely had plenty of problems that should be addressed, focusing solely on action and level design sounds like a spectacularly bad idea. TNO excels in the first half where it takes the time needed to tell the story and get the set up/payoff right. The game falls apart, like so many "new" shooters, when it goes all in on action in endless arrays of bullet sponge enemies and ridiculous boss fights. The expansion is probably something like RoE with plenty of action and filler story. That's *okay* for a short expansion, but I really do hope there will be a full-length sequel where they learn from their mistakes in TNO and slow down the pacing and tell the story as brilliantly as they did in some of the spots. The train ride scene is one of my favorites of any game ever. That was close to perfect. To me, what sucked in TNO wasn't having a narrative and a soul, but the horrible pacing and lack of segmentation. HEY HO I'M IN GIBRALTAR. WOAH NOW I'M ON THE MOON. NOW IN LONDON. NOW IN BERLIN. Two or three overall locations would have been sufficient and much more rewarding.

The fighting in the game was the best part for me. The story was just the icing on the cake for me.

I made a mistake in my post. As I said there will be two separate stories but not only two chapters. There will actually be 8, . I have a feeling the Xpac will be half as long as the original, which is more than enough and quite generous.

About

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a standalone prequel to the critically acclaimed first-person action-adventure shooter, Wolfenstein: The New Order. The adventure, which spans eight chapters and two interconnected stories, features the hallmarks of MachineGames – thrilling action, immersive story and intense first-person combat. As war hero B.J. Blazkowicz, arm yourself with new weapons such as the bolt-action rifle and grenade-launching Kampfpistole as you attempt to thwart the advancing Nazi war machine, and take advantage of duel-wielding pipes that can be used for wall climbing – or for vicious take-downs of never-before-seen Nazi adversaries.

Story

The year is 1946 and the Nazis are on the brink of winning World War II. In an effort to turn the tide in the allies’ favor, B.J. Blazkowicz must embark on an epic, two-part mission deep within Bavaria….

Part one of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood – Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves – pits BJ Blazkowicz against a maniacal prison warden as he breaks into Castle Wolfenstein in an attempt to steal the coordinates to General Deathshead’s compound. In part two – The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs – our hero’s search for the coordinates leads him to the city of Wulfburg where an obsessed Nazi archaeologist is exhuming mysterious artifacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power.

Key Features

The Action! - Experience MachineGames’ intense first-person combat as you brandish all-new Nazi-inspired weapons such as the bolt-action rifle, 1946 shotgun, and the grenade-launching Kampfpistole. Unlock your potential with a new set of perks for hi-octane action and vicious stealth take-downs.
The Adventure! - Explore breath-taking set pieces featuring rural Germanic towns, sprawling valleys tangled with cable cars and bridges, ghostly catacombs, as well as a return to the iconic Castle Wolfenstein. Use dual-wielding metal pipes to navigate the world with brand new wall-climbing abilities.
The Terror! - Go up against a new cast of vicious villains and enemies, including legions of hulking new Super Soldiers, elite shock troops, drones and the darkest and most terrifying Nazi creations yet.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/03/new-order-prequel-wolfenstein-old-blood-announced#XHZ8E6FYspWp1Jbm.99

[/B]

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/new-order-prequel-wolfenstein-old-blood-announced

RUSH said:

*Watches Youtube video*

You and me both, bud.

Shaviro said:

While Wolfenstein definitely had plenty of problems that should be addressed, focusing solely on action and level design sounds like a spectacularly bad idea.

TNO was one of the few games where I wanted to shoot MORE but the game just kept switching the pacing around because "epic journey".

One thing I didn't like about TNO was the character designs, Deathshead for example no longer looks like a gritty old man like he did in RTCW.

Also the fact that he died for the first time, I felt it was better that he was a re-occuring villain that got away every time his plans were foiled.

Helga von Schabbs? So has Helga von Beulo (Or however that was spelled) kicked out of the continuity in favor of someone with a vanilla reference in their name?

Technician said:

JESUS CHRIST WHERE IS FALLOUT 4!!!

Oh shit it's spreading. THE DISEASE IS SPREADING.

While I'm absolutely pumped for this, at the same time, I can't help but feel awfully skeptical. I mean even the release date has already been set for May 5th - less than a year after The New Order, which left me to conclude that a lot of the assets have to be recycled from TNO. How big is the Machine Games team anyway?

EDIT: Turns out it's even released in two separate parts. For the love of fuck...

Sounds like they're doing a "Half Life 2" because of making separate episodes.

hardcore_gamer said:

The trailer looked stupid as fuck. Why the goofy presentation? It's a massive contrast to the serious and dark presentation of the original game.

It's called pulp, you idiot.