Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

Super Happy Fun Contest Time

Okay, most of you probably already know about my little Doom project (if you don't, look in my sig). You probably don't know that I've developed a deep dislike for designing storage crate levels. So here's the deal. If you are bored, or enjoy designing storage levels, or are feeling generous, I'm holding an unofficial contest type thing.

Here's a brief rundown: E1M2 of DOM's first episode is one such of those storage levels. If you are interested in helping out, just make a storage level, with the strong emphasis on realism (if you've played No Quarter you know what I mean), with obvious effort on gameplay being necessary. This level should not be source port specific, other than removing limitations like visplane, etc. This means no scripting, boom effects, etc.

For monsters, keep the enemy count somewhat low, probably no more than 100-150, and only use E1 baddies: zombiemen, shotgun guys, imps, demons, and specters.

Once you've made this hypothetical level, send it to me via e-mail at pudge@att.net, or else you can IM it to me or DCC it on IRC. I'll choose the best one for use in the project.

Before you crack open your WAD editors, just be aware that there is no material prize. You will however, definitely get the full amount of credit for your level, and you'll also get that warm fuzzy feeling that you get whenever you help someone out...or something. Not to mention you'll be able to see the rest of the DOM levels in progress (like that means anything to you). Also you'll be able to title the level what you want, as long as it's within reason.

Also be aware that I may not choose any of the levels that are submitted if not of them fit my taste. And, once you've submitted your level, I can modify it as I like (not that I'm going to, if I do it'll most likely just be to add something at the beginning or end of the level to make it continous with the previous and following levels).

Finally, before you bitch at me with the usual "Why the hell would you ask for help here, no one is going to help you," just know that I'm not desperately begging for help or anything. If you want to help out, then that's wonderful. If you don't, then oh well, I'll make it myself. I just don't enjoy making crate levels and if someone feels up to making one, then it'd be a nice load off my back.

There. If you've had the attention span to read through this, congratulations. Now get busy :P If you still have any questions or comments, feel free to ask me either in this post, or via some other form of communication.

Wet Drywall: about 340 difference or so

And to think yesterday I was like 20 posts behind him...teh basrad.

darknation said:

Why the deep rooted hatred for crates? Doomers love crates!

No FPSer that respect himself loathes crates. It's all about designing far more compelling shapes for the crates.

Ooh, me too! The only editor I ever liked was DoomEd, but that was buggy as anything you'd care to mention. I should probably have another go, it's been coule of years since I tried to make a level seriously.

Zaldron said:

No FPSer that respect himself loathes crates. It's all about designing far more compelling shapes for the crates.

Damn right. I want HEXAGONAL crates!

Problem is, you can't quite stack them up. We have to find the 3D equivalent of the hexagon.

One of my levels (pmapi.wad) has hexagonal crates :P YUO AER MOKING ME!!!!!

darknation said:

Why the deep rooted hatred for crates? Doomers love crates!

I love playing crate levels, but I hate designing them in my levels. I dunno why, I just made one crate room in a level, and I thought, "wow, this is really gay for some reason."

Too repetitive, I guess...or something.

You can stack Hex crates by putting the floor and ceiling, that is the crate, together in the middle (say 64 high) or at the top of the bottom crate and the upper is a different crate. So, lower texture and upper texture are separate crates. Not that hard, same way you put two different textures on one wall top and bottom.

darknation said:

Think doom3 will have crates?

I invite you to find a FPS without crates (except all those games with engines so crappy they couldn't even do that).

Zaldron said:

I'LL MAEK TEH CREATS TEXTRURES!!11111

OK, correction: prepare to release in 2006.

Lüt said:

OOO, I'll do it!!

Prepare to release in 2004 =)

See, there's a reason I didn't include a deadline :P

Archvile64 said:

That only works for two crates, though.

True it only works for two crates, but you can use the double crate textures that will make it look like up to 4 crates stacked in a room say 256 high, or just let the cratewide or crate3 texture alternate all the way to the ceiling in a taller room.

I've built a containment area section into map01 of The Underworld wads at reznor.demon.co.uk (Jdoom 1.13 required)... this the kinda thing you're looking for?

Hmm, I'll download it and check it out, although I don't have JDoom. I'll look through WA and if it looks cool there, I'll just have ass myself to get JDoom to see what it looks like in action.

Hexagonal crates would be tricky, but if you stack them in a pyramid shape, (6 crates, then 3, then 1) they should be ok.

If you want a cool idea for a warehouse, then make it possible to go inside some of the crates. (like level 2 of Operation: Lightning) A good idea would be to try and create a creepy atmosphere of stealth and suspense where you creep around the highly-stacked crates and monsters jump out at you, possibly at night. (like in Quake 2 and Sin)

relik by any chance do you play the warcraft 3 beta, because if i remember right, thats what I eat dead people is off of..

i had a contest going a while back yet everyone said the prise was lame. i was giving away an un-opened depths of doom trilogy pack. well it is off and the pack sits in my room and has become part of MY collection. anyway all u had to do was either make a wad or find me several rare wads that i listed. you only needed 6 out of my list of 10, 0r 12. also the second prise was an un-opened ultimate doom game pack

Heh, I like the original crate textures enough, plus I've already taken your E5 textures too :P