Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

Maz Hades said:

Does the main character have to be a human?

I don't see any problem with the main character not being human.

I agree, since the story is pretty vague and a non human character could fit the overral theme pretty well.

Angry Saint said:

Hello,

I would like to contribute to Blasphemer with some maps.

Is this project still active?

Active enough. I say go for it. :)

Sodaholic said:

Active enough. I say go for it. :)

I just couldn't find the map format required for Blasphemer. Limit removing?

EDIT: ok found, it is limits removing!

I will have to migrate the project page else where as I have just received an email saying that Google Code is closing down.

Is Blasphemer stil being expanded or is it slowly passing away ?

It seems to have a chance of becoming interresting, but one or two maps over such a long time feels a bit odd.

Well, you have to consider that the heretic mapper base is pretty small, so finding artists and mappers who are willing to donate their work is pretty darn difficult, but we already discussed that before. Let's say it is espanding, snail-speed but still espanding...

FireFish said:

Is Blasphemer stil being expanded or is it slowly passing away ?

It's been going faster since this thread was started. Well, faster than it was beforehand atleast. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...
Either way, it's mainly because people don't mod heretic as often as doom.

ray, I think some of the general purpose monster sprites you've been working on would be great for Blasphemer.

Sodaholic said:

I don't see much reason for why the two projects couldn't share sprites.

Because it would feel cheap, as the games are not supposed to share their universes? Their monsters also behave differently, which would lead to confusion (at least) if they looked the same.

Although, it might be interesting to include one Freedoom enemy, but edited to suit Blasphemer's style. Like a Pain Lord with a bag on its head, and an axe arm.

I think sharing FD sprites is a bad idea, but raymoohawk has been working on an unrelated set of libre sprites to be used as bases for editing, and I think some of them would work well in Blasphemer.

im fine with my generic monsters being used, the problem is that its going to take me a while to finish them, and also they may not fit the size of the actor

Should there be a topic or support created for Zauberer? It aims to be the same as Freedoom and Blasphemer, but for Hexen, instead.

https://github.com/CireG/Zauberer/

Currently, the project has maps made with OBLIGE, some sprites, PlayPal, and license text files from Blasphemer, but hasn't replaced the enemy and weapon sprites.

Hello, I'm Zauberer's Project manager for those who doesn't know. I also Think this is a good idea, Zauberer needs whatever help it can get. If the moderators Think it's OK, I would be grateful for a support thread or the like for Zauberer here. Feel free to ask me anything about Zauberer if you have any questions, I'll try to answer the best I can.

What is Zauberer's relation to Blasphemer? Is it a sequel, as Hexen is to Heretic?

That's a very good question. I don't Think I've/we've decided on that actually. I would very much like to know where the Community would like Zauberer's theme to go. I'm sorry I can't give a clearer answer to your question.

Even though Hexen was a sequel to Heretic, the two games were quite different from each other.

Heretic's textures and monsters were more colorful and cartoon-like, the music was more adventurous, and the levels and gameplay were more akin to DOOM: kill monsters, find keys, flip switches, and exit the level.

Hexen's textures and monsters were more dark and foreboding, the music was more ambient/atmospheric, and the levels had more of a focus on puzzle-solving, requiring you to go between multiple levels to solve them.

With the above in mind, I personally think we should keep Zauberer and Blasphemer separate from each other.

I agree on that. The Blasphemer Resources in Zauberer should probably only be seen as placeholders. Do you have any suggestion for a general theme in Zauberer? I've got one suggestion thusfar, and that was Norse mythology. What does people Think of it, good or bad idea?

cire anyway hexen share shames sprites of heretic most in artifacts, of i know they use the minotaur and the serpents of e3m8, also some unused codes of hexen leads to a unused iten called egg (sure heretic item) also if you run hexen in zdoom and do a give all you'll got a bad palleted egg in your inventory proving the hexen is heretic code but improved, also bulets pofs of doom is still present in heretic and bad palleted in hexen.

Also he shares the potions, and most of the secrets maps are leading to heretic after sequel - Hearth of d'isparil and the minotaur temple.

EDIT: I forgot to say, all heretic itens in hexen work perfect if you give him a sprite to use like: tome of power (using tome of power in hexen result in a error), eggs (eggs in hexen cause to enemy morph in a invisible ckicken whit odd sounds), chaos Device and the bag (bag behves strange in hexen, also all monster except from disparil via acs is spawnmable in hexen (if you give him a sprite) the disparil for some reson are broken in code, and minotaur disapear after a time (he behaves exactly like the servant item), some codes about heretic burning state is present, mage use the same sounds of heretic player. fighter use the heretic gauntlets but modified. of i remenber is only it.

norse mythology sounds good

ill suggest several themes because i can :P

steam punk
aztec mythology
hindu mythology (remember the elephant man from fredrik, could come in handy)

that said we could do what doom did and mix themes, for example a steam/cyber punkish mythology all stars mash up :P

also i strongly believe that blasphemer and zauberer shouldnt share resources, i know it may seem like a lot of work right now, but a project like this requires a long development time anyway. lets not forget that part of the projects goal is to create a resource for aspiring developers, reusing what came before as anything other than placeholders would go against that goal.

i for once am willing to do artwork for this once im done with my freedoom responsabilities. some of the monsters for the libre pack im doing could also be adapted i suppose

one last thing lets follows fraggle advice and plan out the story, chould help a lot later

Thanks, Protox and raymoohawk, for the tips, I agree with you. Also, what do you guys Think of also having a female playable character instead of only male characters?

im all for it, can it be done without breaking compatabilty thoug? thats what stopped freedoom from having one when we talked about it (protagonist and monster arbitrarily share sounds)

here is a concept for a fem player i mocked up a few days ago, i could modify it to fit the aesthetic we go for if youd like