Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
franckFRAG

Plutocracy <Plutonia map>

Hello,

I have just finished my new map, called "Plutocracy" (before called "Plutonic") [Limit Removing]

Originally, the map was created for Plutynia 1024, but quickly, I collided on the limits about 1024 pix.
The result is a rather big map. Very difficult at the beginning ( Swift Death-ish). You are used with me x)

The wad runs with Plutonia, map28.

DL => http://www.mediafire.com/download/s9hdplw7me1021z/Plutonic-v1b.wad

Memfis said:

I get this with "-iwad plutonia -file Plutonic-v1". How to play?

It's because of the sky that I added, at the last moment. (sigh) I'm going to rectify that.

Edit : New link added. (MAP28)

Alright, here is a FDA, got to the BFG on the second try and then died to the arch-viles very quickly. That trap made me a bit "umm...", but now I see that there are little alcoves with pillars for cover on both sides, I guess I should have used them.

Observations:
- Linedef 303 uses a Boom action so it doesn't work with -complevel 4/2 obviously.
- Thing 333 was floating in the air for me, it's too close to linedef 1068.
- Thing 23: have you ever noticed that it has an incorrect Y offset in DOOM2.WAD? Looks like this. If you're going to use this decoration, you need to insert it in your wad with a corrected offset.

Overall impression... The most entertaining parts in Swift Death were always the hectic "oh shit!" starts, and that applies to this map as well. The problem is that in Swift Death most maps consisted of this exciting part and nothing else, while in Plutonic after 2-3 minutes of great survival action you get about 15 more minutes of much easier and less interesting cleaning up. You know, just simple encounters with 4-5 monsters, usually with lots of possibilities to hide in a safe place. That's kind of bad. Basically, what I'm saying is that perhaps the Swift Death style doesn't translate so well to the "normal length" maps. I still somewhat enjoyed this level but I feel like maybe it's a step in the wrong direction. Just my thoughts.

Too many 3 figures in these errors hehe, I corrected them for the next version.

I also corrected other problems that you didn't maybe notice:
- Possibility of going back after the last court.
- Sleepy monster (archevile) removed.

Maybe that I should have avoided making a comparison on SD. Plutonic deceives differently maps of SD. With three difficult event, which gives rhythm to the game (the beginning, the place with the BFG, and the last court). Too bad it seems to you boring, I'm going to see how to improve that.

Yeah, I guess I was expecting something different because you mentioned Swift Death and that led to a slight disappointment. Comparisons can be dangerous like that when you take them too seriously, that's my fault.

FDA (using version v1b from the post above). Obviously failed, but with a campy approach, I got relatively far on my 3rd attempt. I should have used a lower difficulty, probably. Anyway, I liked the map a lot, it had the hecticity of Swift Death and level-design beauty of Muskadet. Impressive! :)

Great map, love that crazy start. The great thing about maps like this is that they seem impossible at first, and then as you clear more and more of the map you feel a real sense of accomplishment. Its a bit more forgiving than swift death perhaps - the larger area gives a lot more options of how to deal with it, which makes it more fun than trying to find the exact solution to survival like in those smaller maps.

Yep Mouldy, That's why I encourage Memfis to finish the map. :) Effectively, there are two way for looked the yellow key. And several possible strategies to shelter from monsters's projectiles.

Lol I like the name, goes along with my wads Plutosis and Plutoned. :)

I've always wanted to make Plutobro after Plutosis btw.

Memfis said:

I've always wanted to make Plutobro after Plutosis btw.

More titles: Plutron, Pluthos, Plutter, Plutoons, Plutnik, Plutoids, Plutauri, Plutenga, Plutein, Plutino, Plutangle, Pluttrek, Plutoxxx, Plutnoire...

Except that they'd be boring if used as names of consequent maps inside one megawad. As individual wad/map titles, they might be good, though. ;)