Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

unfinished wads you can do whatever you want to with

hey that last ones map01 has some pretty neat architecture, maybe ill do something with it.

I would love to see a Memfix Hexen wad. Of course I always love a good Hexen wad no matter who it's by, but that's beside the point.

That will never happen most likely because I find Hexen's gameplay boring and unsatisfying. The puzzles and exploration in Hexen are ok but obviously I can't experience them normally if I'm the author so there is really not much point for me to make Hexen wads.

Why did you abandon such awesome pieces of layouts? Even if you didn't utterly-perfectly-polished them to perfect perfectness, you could at least finish them to a playable state and they'd be great and fun (as usual) anyway! :) Of course it's your legit right, to drop working on a map, I just wonder. I very well know that you're able to finish them "more than acceptably".

I think this was discussed several times before, but basically I'm not a real mapper: I don't enjoy mapping and attempt it only because I want to see results of it, not because I like the creative process. This desire to get a complete level allows me to maintain interest for 2-3 hours\days max, after that I can't stand looking at it in the editor anymore so I post it to get it off my head. It's quite funny how Memfis has been unhappy with mapping for years, and yet he keeps trying for some stupid reason. Like what is he hoping for, that after 200 abandoned projects he will suddenly get inspired? Lol.

edit: I guess there is a deeper psychological basis, I mean it's similar to how every time I go to sleep I tell myself that starting tomorrow, I will stop wasting time on stupid internet shit and start organizing myself properly. Or how I fail at uni and then enter again, telling myself that THIS time everything will go fine. Yeah, I like starting my new life tomorrow.

also, more

Memfis said:

I think this was discussed several times before

I remember asking you about similar things in the past, and then (later) reading some of your general mapping threads - and yet I thought I was asking something slightly different this time (why to throw the maps off for ever?). Sorry anyway.

pew
Mapping for doom is hopelessly slow, it takes hours to make something you can play for a few minutes. In elma online I can make a lev literally in 2-3 minutes and then watch numerous people play it for 15-20 minutes. What a striking difference in playtime/effort ratio.

Memfis said:

Mapping for doom is hopelessly slow, it takes hours to make something you can play for a few minutes. In elma online I can make a lev literally in 2-3 minutes and then watch numerous people play it for 15-20 minutes. What a striking difference in playtime/effort ratio.

Hehe, and now remember that Doom's mapping is so popular because its incredibly quick and easy compared to true 3D FPS games!

Memfis said:

I guess there is a deeper psychological basis, I mean it's similar to how every time I go to sleep I tell myself that starting tomorrow, I will stop wasting time on stupid internet shit and start organizing myself properly.

Welcome to my world.

I always marvel with some envy at all those people who can make an entire megawad worth of awesome maps in the span of like two months where it can take me a year to finish one on account of that I work so damn slow. Every so often I get these spurts where I can work for a couple of solid weeks on one thing (not necessarily Doom-related) but sooner later I hit a wall and the project fizzles out until I either get another spurt in several months, or end up abandoning it completely.

These looked great. Gonna use them for my next wad. Well, only the base themed maps, plus I will also add extra detail if needed.

...Sometimes I just run out of room ideas. Mapper's block much? Yeah pretty much what I have sometimes. I have some rooms done.

...On second thought, I'd rather finish the thing up and not use them.

Trying to make a 2 or 5 min map plus I'm also trying to find some room ideas since well like I said, mapper's block.

Currently in the midst of mapper's block. I can't seem to come up with anything. These may help me in figuring out what I want to do. I've drawn some maps on paper, but translating them in the editor doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks for posting these, Memfis.

SFoZ911 said:

I'll check it out. I like you style quite a lot, it might give me some ideas.

Same here since I do tend to get mappers block every once in a while.

How could I forget about this thread? Wow.

Memfis said:

I'm not a real mapper: I don't enjoy mapping and attempt it only because I want to see results of it, not because I like the creative process.

Damn, you coulda fooled me. Your maps are quality stuff. Hard to imagine someone who's objectively better than I am enjoying it less than I do. I enjoy mapping far more than playing SP, the only thing (slightly) topping it is playing Deathmatch. I can't get enough FFA/duel.

I guess there is a deeper psychological basis, I mean it's similar to how every time I go to sleep I tell myself that starting tomorrow, I will stop wasting time on stupid internet shit and start organizing myself properly. Or how I fail at uni and then enter again, telling myself that THIS time everything will go fine. Yeah, I like starting my new life tomorrow.

Now this sounds exactly like me..

EDIT: "Popka - Russian slang term for a baby's behind, cute/small buttocks." Fucking LOL. Cool looking intro area, looks like the beginning of an epic AV-style map. The midi reminds me of a slower/more eerie Monster Condo.

I'm just too impatient. I get very excited about a new map when I start working on it and because of that it can be fun for a few hours. Then I realize that I have so much stuff left to do and that it will take days and days to complete the map... That can be very discouraging for me. I don't understand how people can keep coming back to the same map for weeks or even months every day and not get completely sick of it. How the hell do they maintain the motivation to keep working on it? I just don't know. I wish someone told me, I'd like to make some bigger maps for a change.

That midi is from Freedoom's Map18 btw, so it is a remix of Monster Condo.

Interesting. I think Phml from this forum also once told me to look at maps as something that consists of many different parts but now I understand his advice much better thanks to your post.

You fart knocker! These layouts are nice. Is this the reason the community doesn't get more 1 memaps?

I'll use Memfis' theme for my purposes.

Some time ago I started something that was planned to be a big, atmospheric and adventurous map, but quickly lost the motivation, so it seems to be going nowhere. Usually I just delete drafts that I'm not interested in anymore, but this one is pretty okay, so I'd feel bad about wasting it completely. Instead I'm putting it here, maybe someone could fit it somewhere. I can't seem to be able to work on it anymore.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3l7nwv

It uses two resource packs at once, I've done nothing to combine them at this point. Those are cc4-tex and gothmash from Mayhem 1500 thread. Prboom-plus will have troubles reading them all, so it'd be better to use (g)zdoom to take a look if you want to, or make the combined pack with some fancy scripts. Sorry for the inconvenience.