Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
didierbertrand

Failed demo attempts

10 Sectors Map29

Such a hilarious map. Every single time something goes wrong and I just can't seem to UV-Max it properly whatever I do. It's not even about surviving anymore, it's about monsters deciding it's a great time to take a vacation and not show up. Either not teleporting in or one goddamn caco getting stuck in a fucking hole, like in this demo. The most depressing part is that it's killable with blast damage but surprise surprise, I don't have enough rockets to do the deed. This is the second time this happens and then I have three or four other finishes where 10-5 monsters don't teleport in. This run was the fastest so far, however. In my practice run I maxed this with saves so it's not impossible or anything either. Just really fucking frustrating.

Edit: Aaaand then I maxed it :D Only 14:13 though so I dunno if I'm just done yet.

10s29-agf.zip

This is worth uploading, pain decided to indefinitely infight with a stuck lost soul in an area that autoaim couldn't aim... ugh
btw demo is 10 mins long, all goes fine until that

sf1214-fail.zip

I can't recall posting this before. So, this is my best tyson attempt on Plutonia, map 13. I managed to kill 43 out of 65 monsters. I attempted a much riskier strategy than z0diac. It seems to pay off timewise.

I got:

43/65 monsters killed in ~16 minutes.

z0diac's record has:

43/65 monsters killed in ~25 minutes.

So, up to that point I was seemingly nine minutes ahead. This shows that the current record should be relatively easy to beat. It just requires "a lot of" patience with the chaingunners.

Recorded with prboom-plus-2.5.0.6.

pt13fail.zip

Hell Revealed map 13, tyson attempt.

I killed 228/266 monsters in 82 minutes.

Disregarding a dozen of quick deaths in the first room, this was my second attempt! I had not practiced the ending at all, so I totally panicked and died. I was also unaware of the blue armor secret as I have not played HR that much. What a blunder.

Considering my inexperienced stupidity with the map, this is totally possible. I would even say this is very easy. You just need patience, nothing else. Rushing is bad, real bad. At the end, the game had me rushing in panic. Damn, Doom. Damn...

hr13-tyson-fail-228killed.zip

xit-vono said:

Oh my god! How did I survive this for so long? (comment is about rn14f2.lmp)

I'd say you got a bit unlucky with the damage near the end there. (On your f2 run) I'm pleased you're still trying this. I watched the demos you had on Youtube of the attempts at this run when you uploaded them ages ago and thought long and hard about the route, but I think the way you're going about it should work. You just need a bit of luck at points it appears.

I thought I had seen an rn14 run some years ago and, sure enough, there it is, on the first page of this thread. So in the intervening four years you made it through another little courtyard and a set of stairs. ;) Amazing persistence.
Perhaps j4rio should try this map, too. Going by his long Eternal NM100Ses, it might be right up his alley.

Scythe, map 22, tyson attempt. I played less than a half an hour to get this. 36/40 monsters killed. I know I could get it to 39/40. This should be easy to finish, if you can telefrag the cybie. It is important to stay pacifist until getting the keys. Otherwise the teleporting monsters will ruin the run.

sc22t-fail-36dead.zip

40oz said:

Nice fuckin shot, doomguy.

joe-ilya's lost maps, map07

The hell? My first thought was it was a blockmap edge, but it doesn't seem like it:

It does look crazy though:

I couldn't believe it either. I nearly threw a fit.

This is really weird. I added in a bunch of print functions to Chocolate Doom to try and figure it out. This is what happens for the first pellet of the final shot:

pellet angle = 4, damage = 10
P_BlockThingsIterator:
checking thing of type 0 at 286, 472
checking thing of type 17 at 165, 501
checking thing of type 11 at 99, 473
checking thing of type 11 at 90, 481
checking thing of type 11 at 88, 530
checking thing of type 11 at 119, 491
checking thing of type 11 at 109, 495
checking thing of type 11 at 170, 482
checking thing of type 11 at 81, 478
checking thing of type 11 at 39, 495
checking thing of type 11 at 31, 491
checking thing of type 11 at 16, 511
checking thing of type 11 at 72, 555
checking thing of type 11 at 16, 543
checking thing of type 11 at -431, 607
checking thing of type 1 at -656, 713
checking thing of type 1 at -608, 667
doing PTR_ShootTraverse for type 0 at 286,472
can't shoot self!
doing PTR_ShootTraverse for type 11 at 170,482
corpse or something
doing PTR_ShootTraverse for type 17 at 165,501
hit thing, apparently
hit thing of type 17
The imp is at approximately 230,464 in that tic... AND DOESN'T GET CHECKED AT ALL. At least as far as I can tell. But it's not even in a different blockmap block??

I thought it might be an intercepts overflow, but... it doesn't seem to be??

OK, I rechecked in Chocolate Doom, and turns out PrBoom-plus doesn't actually use the blockmap for the grid, because... uh.... anyways, here's the REAL blockmap:

So yeah, looks like the imp was just barely on one side of a blockmap block boundary and you were on the other side. Tough luck.

Linguica said:

OK, I rechecked in Chocolate Doom, and turns out PrBoom-plus doesn't actually use the blockmap for the grid, because... uh.... anyways, here's the REAL blockmap:

Uhm, wouldn't that cause desyncs left and right? Or does that mean the prboom-plus automap draws some made-up grid while using the proper one internally?

dew said:

Or does that mean the prboom-plus automap draws some made-up grid while using the proper one internally?

Yeah I think it always draws the automap grid starting at 0,0 and uses whatever grid number you choose in the cfg. I posted about that in the pr+ thread thinking it was a bug, but I don't remember if I got a reply.

dew said:

Or does that mean the prboom-plus automap draws some made-up grid while using the proper one internally?

Yes, apparently. Seems like an odd change to make.

I'm not a programmer, but I assumed it was just easier for them to make an arbitrary grid at 0,0 after the "grid spacing" setting was introduced.

TimeOfDeath said:

Yeah I think it always draws the automap grid starting at 0,0 and uses whatever grid number you choose in the cfg. I posted about that in the pr+ thread thinking it was a bug, but I don't remember if I got a reply.

I never saw that before, sorry. I've looked at it and I'm convinced it is a genuine bug. I see entryway replied to you but perhaps he misunderstood what you were getting at.

Linguica said:

This is really weird.
[...]
OK, I rechecked in Chocolate Doom, and turns out PrBoom-plus doesn't actually use the blockmap for the grid, because... uh....

It's never nice to find your time wasted by chasing ghosts, sorry about that.

Cyberdemon531 said:

ultimate doom episode 3 tyson attempt, failed because the spider died before I killed the baron on Dis

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ouch D:

Oh that spiderdemon tele. Bad luck with that Wilou! The Cacodemon/PE is real annoying for clearing out quickly which hindered my time quite a bit, so I definitely will be doing that again. Recently I've practiced map06 so when I'm on holiday from next week I should have something for it. Tangara is definitely easier than most of the maps - second easiest for me personally. Map03 is still harder than 06 because of the Cyber + Revenant trap which I don't have the senses to keep attention to what's going on.

Coorporate with me, racist Cyberdemon.