Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rgerber

Modern color-grade palette/mod?

Hey there.

Recently I've played the palette replacement wad for black and white Doom.

I wonder if something similar could be made, instead. Pushing all dark colors into blue/teal and bright colors into orange.

I actually strongly dislike that color-grading trend in modern Hollywood movies, nonetheless I wondered how this would apply to doom.

Learn more about Teal and Orangeā„¢ on this website (non-affiliate).
Intro The Abyss

probably easy. i guess that brown, which is predominant in id games, turns brighter, more like quake2 which has this orange sky. teal on the other hand is applied to concrete and stone textures, also dark green techbase stuff. i wonder though what's with this inane postprocessing madness in movies, as that hardly makes them more lifelike or even interesting. in my humble opinion of course.

hm, nice article.

there are some palette change mods if you're interested in these, like sigvatr's palplus (originally released here , see screens), which i use as standard, or technicolor doom if you're more on the colorful side of life.

The imps in the Technicolor mod look about what i'd expect in a teal and orange grading, too much orange.

That Contrast mod looks also nice, makes the sprites almost look like cgi-render, rather than scans (Clayfighter, Mortal Kombat..)

I have no idea how to change a palette. It would simply simply shift each color in the spectrum radically towards said, teal and orange. Usually foreground = orange background = teal as you noted on the tech textures.

Well, if you have Photoshop, you can export one of its palettes as a .ACT file, and SLADE can import it natively from there to replace the PLAYPAL lump (which is where Doom's palette is defined). Can add the pickup/hurt/radsuit variants from there with SLADE's ability to generate those on the fly. Although you'd probably still want a new COLORMAP lump, as well (which defines what palette entries to use as lighting gets darker, as well as a row for when you have invulnerability).

Linguica said:

InstaDoom has lots of modern color gradings!!!

Ah yes, the instagram school of color-grading.
But Instagram is a photo-taking mod, I want this to apply as simple color-palette.

No, to my understanding, SelfieDoom is a selfie-taking mod. InstaDoom is a set of color palettes based on Instagram. It just happens SelfieDoom is bundled with InstaDoom, but surely you don't have to use it if you don't want to?

One minute of fiddling with a PLAYPAL and SLADE's palette editing tools (tweaking most ranges, tinting the grey range):

rgerber said:

Ah yes, the instagram school of color-grading.
But Instagram is a photo-taking mod, I want this to apply as simple color-palette.

InstaDoom IS a palette mod. EDIT: As ShadowHog said.

Well, I guess that debate's over then.

But it's clearly missing a plain teal-orange movie-style color palette, just as I posted in the mockup above. I hate the look but it still look's rather unique.

Any way to contribute that to the InstaDoom mod?
I've got the filters saved in Pohotshop and simply need applying to all palettes, done.