Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Post your junk demos

In the Chocolate Doom thread over in the Source Ports forum, myk recently revealed that he tends to record nearly every WAD he plays, and I subsequently discovered that Memfis recently posted a huge dump of thousands of demos.

Having lots of demos like these can actually be very useful - I used the Compet-N archive to do regression testing for Chocolate Doom, and also to make design decisions when I was writing the network code. So demos like these are useful to programmers like me. There are other potential uses as well: a while ago I had the idea to set up an automated pipeline that would continually convert demos into Youtube videos automatically (wouldn't it be cool if there was a Youtube video for every WAD in the idgames archive - even if some of the demos weren't great quality?)

So this is my appeal: I'm sure that at least a few of you probably have big hoards of .lmps you've recorded, and maybe you just consider a lot of them junk that you never planned to release. If you do, please take a few minutes to .zip them all up, upload them and post a link in the thread. If you have any extra information about them, like a .txt file with some notes, please include that. If you don't, it doesn't matter. Don't be shy, and resist the urge to spend too much time organizing them - my main desire is that they see the light of day, however they might be arranged.

Once this thread gets enough replies then I'll bundle up all the uploads and put them on archive.org for posterity. I'll be attaching the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, so if you're not cool with that, please say so in comments (but please still post your demos anyway!)

fraggle said:

(wouldn't it be cool if there was a Youtube video for every WAD in the idgames archive - even if some of the demos weren't great quality?)

The bandwidth-conservation section of my brain is shrieking in horror.

Heh. Just in case you want my permission, feel free to do all that stuff with my demos. It's cool that people find them useful.

Heh, not too many replies so far. Speedrunners certainly seem rather possessive of their junk, don't they?
Seeing this thread here I rememebered this post:

Hitherto said:

Well then, kind sir! May be I should forward to you my own small bunch of fda's too? It is just over 15MB of zipped demos (i.e. ~100 hours). All produced in last two years - I'm a lazy player.

Hitherto doesn't post here often, so you may need to PM or email him.

edit: here are my unreleased FDAs. Not too many, 150-160 in all; but every little bit helps, right?
Not all of them junk, either; some will eventually make it into the FDA thread with proper TXT files, when I get around to writing them. ;)

Here are my demos. There are around 350 of them and the majority are multiplayer games. There may be around 5 demos that are not mine.

EDIT: My oldest demo in this archive is dated 2009. Older demos (1995-1999) are not mine, you should delete them before you distribute my demos under the CC license.

EDIT2: New download link

Never_Again said:

Heh, not too many replies so far. Speedrunners certainly seem rather possessive of their junk, don't they?

At least talking for me I delete all my junk, explaining the lack of it

I've included some wad files too. Just to make it clear, I made every of them except bunker.wad and library.wad. I co-authored bunker.wad, so it not a problem, but library.wad is not mine. So they can be distributed under the CC license, except library.wad. If I remember correctly, this wad comes from soulsphere.org.

Hm, well. I'll have to PM Obsidian and Job (though he seems to have been inactive for months...) to ask if they're fine with their maps being redistributed. (EDIT: Messages sent)

@Fraggle: Can we also post .cld files here (that's the Skulltag/Zandronum demo format)?

I have a big fat pile of my pistol start playthroughs of a bunch of maps, but I still have a lot to play, and a lot of the harder maps I don't have because I haven't beaten then yet, so for a lot of megawads I have demos up to about map15-map25 before it gets too hard or frustrating for me.

I haven't been extensively documenting complevel details or anything. I suppose I could write a batch file to generate them for me. In my experience I've noticed a good few of my demos desync, but I haven't actually watched every one to pick them out. It's at least a few weeks lengths of gameplay in total.

Awesome work so far, thanks everyone!

JudgeDeadd said:

@Fraggle: Can we also post .cld files here (that's the Skulltag/Zandronum demo format)?

Sure!

Ancalagon said:

At least talking for me I delete all my junk, explaining the lack of it

This. I'm a bit of a clean freak so I just rubbish out failed stuff that are quite insignificant to me, unless I save an intriguing demo that I normally keep in my HD and I tend to forget them all later on. Will share some more stuff hopefully later in the week.

600+ demos of a bunch of various wads, mostly episodes and megawads, but a good bit of single levels too.

It was originally part of an ambitious plan to stream a computer running Doom on twitch.tv 24/7 playing back the demos of every Doom level I ever played, but I think by the time it's ready twitch.tv will probably be on the bottom of the popular websites list, so do with them what you will.

the naming conventions are "DOOMTV_(wadfilename)_(mapnumber).lmp"

Some wads require multiple wads run at once or a dehacked patch for them to play back correctly. Almost all the demos complete the level on first run with 75% or more kills. Some of them quit early or ragequit before the map is over. The majority should be pretty useful for what you want to do though; that is, uploading youtube playthroughs of each map.

https://www.mediafire.com/?edx417ckcsglmt2

sorry for bumping--just wanted to confirm that Job got back to me and gave his permission for distribution as well. :)

fraggle said:

I had the idea to set up an automated pipeline that would continually convert demos into Youtube videos automatically (wouldn't it be cool if there was a Youtube video for every WAD in the idgames archive - even if some of the demos weren't great quality?)

There should be a version of Chocolate-Doom that can output video to a file, but in split-screen mode for multiplayer games. I know the next version will support normal screen recording though, which is great, but in multiplayer games, you lose part of the action because you can't watch the other players' screen. That would be a major feature if it was added to the port.

When you do it manually with a video editor, the sound is played redundantly for each players and it doesn't sound very good.