Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

D_OPENIN

What does everyone here think of doom 2 icon of sin MAP30 music?

For many years I couldn't beat MAP30, I never understood how, so naturally i found the music to be pretty creepy and disturbing, particularly because of how quiet and eerie the notes are. The way most doom music is repetitive and catchy is almost the opposite in this track. Having listened to the track a few times with the volume up a bit and repeating the song just sounds kinda weird.

Does anyone enjoy it? Do you consider it to be creepy or intimidating at all? If not now, did it ever before? Is it a decent track for the final level of Doom 2?

I like it. I agree it is different in style to other tracks but I think this is a big reason why it works so well in a final map that is not like other maps. It gives me the unsettling feeling of an evil presence. It's possibly the closest the PC OST gets to the PSX's ambient horror style.

I totally hear you man, I find it creepy as well. When I heard it for the first time (I was maybe 5), it kind of freaked me out and even after I got away from the computer I felt like I could still hear that disturbing whistle. It was difficult to fall asleep that day. :)

I think the closest thing ever to it is the Map30 midi from Hell Revealed 2. I find it awesome (thx j4rio for recommending it). Also, D_OPENIN was used very well in Hellbound's Map01.

What I find interesting about D_OPENIN is that no remix I've ever heard of it has topped the SC-55 recording. What I've come across is generally pretty good, but it's never really felt the same.
Eventually I'll be taking on the challenge, but I know it's going to be a difficult one to get right.

The SC-55 version was also used as background music for a YouTube narration of the NES Godzilla creepypasta (Zenith's level selection screen), and though PSX Doom and Doom 64 music had come before it throughout, I wasn't expecting it to appear, and that in addition to the context it was being used in was pretty chilling.

As if it weren't already.

It's definitely a creepy piece of music, though the first few times I played through Doom 2 I was barely aware it was even there; there's so much noise in the Icon of Sin, between the repetitive "PSHEPT" of the monster spawner and the ever-increasing cacophonic chorus of the spawned monsters, that it's all too easy for that creepy background music to be drowned out.

I'm a big fan.

Eris Falling said:

What I find interesting about D_OPENIN is that no remix I've ever heard of it has topped the SC-55 recording. What I've come across is generally pretty good, but it's never really felt the same.

Mazedude did a fantastic remix of it. It remained pretty much identical, only with different instuments and some clever sound effects.

Nah, I think the whistles really add something to the eerie feeling of the midi.

I like it,

I think the first time I happened to actually be able to listen to it without the sound effects drowning it out was when I was drawing/testing MAP30 of fastdm. I wish I would have turned the music up years ago.

it's probably the best composition out of the entire Doom 2 soundtrack. hell, maybe even compared to the original Doom soundtrack. i've listened to the original song a few times before, and it's just stunning. the only bad thing is that i've rarely if ever heard it being used outside of Doom 2's map 30, which is a damn shame.

Along with map 6,10 and 31 it's probably the best music in Doom II. In fact, probably some of the only good music in Doom II. Never did like half the other elevator-esque stuff, the original Doom was much better on the musical front.

It's very fitting for the Icon of Sin battle. It's not some epic, bombastic confrontation sort of music, like a lot of games will have for the final boss. It's very quiet and suspenseful, with a sense of hell and death and darkness creeping in, slowly but surely. It's not climactic, it's dreading. The mechanical beat that comes in around 1:43 is reflective of the Icon spitting out demons, and it remains in the background of the song while you fight the Icon. More beats are added on and repeated, building a crescendo to the track that symbolizes the rising pressure that surrounds you as you fight the big-ass demon.

^ Best description of the track I've ever heard Gordon. That's why this song is easily one of the best in the series.

I can't say it's my favorite track in Doom 2 or my favorite part about MAP30, but it fits the map in the same way long hair suits me.

I think Gordon's said it best so far.
D_OPENIN, and the other slower, more suspenseful tracks, such as Sign of Evil, are my favourites.

I read somehwere that D_OPENIN was supposed to be the intro music at some point. Not sure if that's correct, though.

ReFracture said:

Best part about Map30.

This. It's unsettling, maybe too subtle / quiet, but good.

RUSH said:

Along with map 6,10 and 31 it's probably the best music in Doom II. In fact, probably some of the only good music in Doom II. Never did like half the other elevator-esque stuff, the original Doom was much better on the musical front.

i'm curious about what's so "elevator-esque" with the music for that game. there's like, that one electric piano line in The Healer Stalks, but then what? The Dave D. Taylor Blues? Waiting For Romero to Play? Adrian's Asleep? i'm genuinely curious how ANY of Doom 2's music would be considered elevator music.

I feel a lot of the music from Doom II sounds like Taco Bell salsa music. Whenever I play Doom, I just turn the music off and listen to my own tunes.

quackbal said:

it gave me chills as a kid! the beginning bit anyway! that and E1M8 have the same effect...

E1M8 reminds me of the movie 'Once upon a time in the west' (when Cheyenne meets Harmonica for the first time), desperate/mysterious. Map30 is creepy.

Doomhuntress said:

i'm curious about what's so "elevator-esque" with the music for that game. there's like, that one electric piano line in The Healer Stalks, but then what? The Dave D. Taylor Blues? Waiting For Romero to Play? Adrian's Asleep? i'm genuinely curious how ANY of Doom 2's music would be considered elevator music.

Don't read Piper Maru's response. It'll knock your brain down to its knees.. :]

gemini09 said:

Don't read Piper Maru's response. It'll knock your brain down to its knees.. :]

You could add this tune right into the Doom II ost and it would fit right in!

I've always liked it, it's dark and spooky. Listening to it now makes me want to use it in a map, I recall hearing it maybe once in a PWAD over the years.

Piper Maru said:

You could add this tune right into the Doom II ost and it would fit right in!

nice try, troll harder next time.