Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

Never_Again said:

walter, demos on vanilla WADs should be recorded with vanilla complevels. You don't need to bother with command-line switches, either - just use a frontend.
Secondly, 0.44 is 44/100 of a second. Your run is a little slower than that. ;)

uhm, yeah, i forgot to do it with complevel, sorry about that...

Wicked Be The Ways of Men by ReX Claussen:
HNTR Max in 12:18
HMP Max in 12:37
UV Max in 13:39

(for those who don't know the map: it is a gorgeous-looking big base with the following twist: main skill levels (HNTR,HMP,UV) have different starting locations, key locations, weapon locations and also many monsters are different).

wic7lmp.zip

vdgg said:

Wicked Be The Ways of Men by ReX Claussen:

(for those who don't know the map: it is a gorgeous-looking big base with the following twist: main skill levels (HNTR,HMP,UV) have different starting locations, key locations, weapon locations and also many monsters are different).

Hadn't realised that! Thanks for the excuse to replay it!

Thanks for doing a John Landis map and the Heroes E1M8 demo plug, vdgg. BTW, I did the original standalone version of !POIS!.WAD in 2010.

If you liked those maps, check out the last two WADs by Zan-zan-zawa-veia. I did Hexasketch last December and wasn't of too high an opinion of it. His latest is simply insane, though, both in the puzzle and in the action departments.

Until today I didn't think a UV run of the kind he asked for was even possible, and then suddenly ... <drumroll> ... a major sequence breaker!

SMINKY2.WAD by Zan-zan-zawa-veia:
· HNTR Max in 19:40
· HNTR Speed + 100% Secrets in 4:35
· UV Pacifist (easy exit) in 0:18
· UV Pacifist (hard exit) in 0:55

This last one is it.

sminky2_na.zip

Never_Again said:

Thanks for doing a John Landis map and the Heroes E1M8 demo plug, vdgg. BTW, I did the original standalone version of !POIS!.WAD in 2010.

Obviously, I didn't know about pois.wad. My lame way of dealing with 4 switches room shows that clearly...

• Hellcore 2.0 (HC20.WAD) by Darkfyre & Fusion
    · MAP02 - UV Max in 9:58 (infighting extravaganza)
    · MAP03 - UV Max in 7:47 (requires map fix, link in TXT)

• Maybe a Techbase (TECHMAYB.WAD) by ElFuzzo
    A softcore slaughtermap from 2010
    · UV Max in 19:28

• The Lost WADz series (TLW_*.WAD) by Jeromy John Visser
    Seven small oldschool maps from late 1997 - early 1998. Extreme softcore.
    · TLW_1.WAD - UV Max in 2:10
    · TLW_2.WAD - UV Max in 2:01
    · TLW_3.WAD - UV Max in 3:10
    · TLW_4.WAD - UV Max in 4:37
    · TLW_5.WAD - UV Max in 3:57
    · TLW_6.WAD - UV Max in 6:23
    · TLW_7.WAD - UV Max in 5:04

• The Trial (TRIAL.WAD) by HyperSoft Inc. (1999)
    >From trial.txt:
    >Description : Try to play and complete this map.
    Done
    · a UV Max in 13:44

• A Truckers Nightmare! (UAC_CAVE.WAD) by Sam Dickie
    A 1996 tribute to Doomsday of UAC
    · a UV Max in 7:11

n_a-misc-mar22-2015.zip

Oh great, I got ZZZV away from mapping and composing into recording. If SMINKY3 comes out in 2016 you can blame me, heh.

re: HEROES: compilations are good, and I've done a fair number of them, but it is always nice (if not preferable) to see a demo on the original version. After 11 years I barely remember anything about this level, so it was practically a brand new experience for me. I don't care if anyone can shave off a minute or even two off your run, it does what it set out to do - showing the level from every angle - well, and for me that's the main thing.

However, I must take an exception to this

bcomplex-uvm-0516.txt sez:
(didn't use any complevel in particular)

If you don't use any complevel and haven't edited default_compatibility_level in your Prb+ config you get a -complevel 17 demo. Why is that a bad thing? If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain it ... I'd be broke, so here's a link.
To be fair, for a non-vanilla-compat demo yours has reasonable settings rather than blindly following defaults (which are all Boom-Boom-Boom-screw-vanilla-Boom-is-oh-so-much-better). You only missed two:

- Use exactly Doom's floor motion behavior
- Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model

Well, these are just details. I'm sure that true D1 demo lovers around here will enjpy your run anyway, all three of them. :)

Never_Again said:

Oh great, I got ZZZV away from mapping and composing into recording. If SMINKY3 comes out in 2016 you can blame me, heh.

re: HEROES: compilations are good, and I've done a fair number of them, but it is always nice (if not preferable) to see a demo on the original version. After 11 years I barely remember anything about this level, so it was practically a brand new experience for me. I don't care if anyone can shave off a minute or even two off your run, it does what it set out to do - showing the level from every angle - well, and for me that's the main thing.

However, I must take an exception to this

If you don't use any complevel and haven't edited default_compatibility_level in your Prb+ config you get a -complevel 17 demo. Why is that a bad thing? If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain it ... I'd be broke, so here's a link.
To be fair, for a non-vanilla-compat demo yours has reasonable settings rather than blindly following defaults (which are all Boom-Boom-Boom-screw-vanilla-Boom-is-oh-so-much-better). You only missed two:

- Use exactly Doom's floor motion behavior
- Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model

Well, these are just details. I'm sure that true D1 demo lovers around here will enjpy your run anyway, all three of them. :)

haha don't worry, there's no chance that I'll stop primarily being a musician. but if I do make more demos they'll specifically be on complevel 3, sorry for teh vagueness

yakfak said:

CATWALKS.WAD (not on archives, but the textfile says it can be distributed): UV Pacifist in 00:24

IMO there's no real reason to do a max or explorative demo of this level since it's so dark and inscrutable.

The WAD is on the archives; it's just in a zip file named differently from the WAD itself.

I also did a UV max of this level in 2011 (video here), and it was every bit as "fun" as you'd imagine. I had to make a map of the level just to keep track of where the teleporters went.

The Green Herring said:

Thanks to that dumbass Funduke, of course. Why the hell he had to put a WAD named "CATWALK" in a zip named "dmcatw", when there were not (and still aren't) any existing "catwalk" entries to conflict with?

There are 160 dm* ZIPs in levels/doom/d-f/, and 139 (!) of them were submitted by him. WADs from all over the alphabet ended up there, good luck trying to sort out this mess now.

What I'm assuming is that each case of "dm(whatever).zip" was the name of the old zip file the WAD was found in. I'm getting the impression that on BBSes (at least some of them?), Doom and Doom II WADs were named "dm(whatever).zip" and "dm2(whatever).zip" to differentiate them from all the other zip files you could download on them.

More All Hell runs, I might as well fill up the tables for this wad.

Map 1 NM-Speed in 0:18. (Also Pacifist)
Map 1 NM100 in 0:29.
Map 2 NM-Speed in 0:13.
Map 3 UV-Speed in 1:10.
Map 4 UV-Max in 4:23.
Map 4 UV-Speed in 0:45.
Map 5 NM-Speed in 0:19.

Edit: Reuploaded with corrected map 4 max textfile.

ah_shock2.zip

I'd be willing to showcase anything that would elicit a new SAV88 demo. ;)
If you liked Commando, check out Shamus Young's Torment, which presumably was icecreamsoldier's source of inspiration.

Meh, another pointless short run that ends before you get a chance to settle into your seat? If the map is half as good as his BYPAIN how come you didn't do a Max? :P