Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom on the Oculus Rift

The player weapon sprites simply won't work when in VR. The only "solution" to that is to load an add-on that replaces them with 3D models, so that they are then positioned as one would expect, in 3D space.

However, the 3D models themselves will need to have been authored with VR in mind; historically such 3D models are built assuming a predetermined look direction and FOV range - VR throws that out of the window. Most likely an entirely new set of models will need to be built to truly "fix" the issue.

But, there is some work that needs to be done.

The HUD definitely needs to be moved down to the bottom of the screen, as does the weapon.

I feel like it would be extremely confusing to shoot, especially since Doom is a hip-fire sort of style. Still, it is a cool concept, and if they were to make an actual Oculus Rift port of Doom, I'm sure it would be much better.

facelessdoomer said:

The HUD definitely needs to be moved down to the bottom of the screen, as does the weapon.

Which screen are you referring to? If you mean the HMD of the Occulus Rift, then HUD (and weapon) most definitely should not be moved down to the bottom of the "screen" because then you won't even see it. If you've determined this by looking at screenshots taken from the desktop you're making the assumption that it looks like that in the Rift. It does not. When wearing the Rift, that area is in the periphery of your view. So it can't be down there because you simply wouldn't be able to read it.

facelessdoomer said:

Still, it is a cool concept, and if they were to make an actual Oculus Rift port of Doom, I'm sure it would be much better.

That is exactly what GZ3Doom and Doomsday's Oculus Rift support is; they are, basically, 'Doom on the Oculus Rift'.

Unless you mean changing Doom's gameplay to better suit the Rift, but then it wouldn't be 'Doom on the Oculus Rift'.

Yeah... when you wear the Rift there is 3D depth that is not present on a monitor. The Doom HUD appears to be floating in mid-air between your eyes and the action. Moving it downwards would not make sense.

I'll need to record some videos of gameplay soon.

Captain Toenail said:

Kontra, I had the same problem. It's configured for DK1, not DK2. I think the author is waiting for a DK2, hopefully then support will be added. Can't wait to try Doom in VR, though I imagine the movement speed will be sickening. I've tried Quake2 and it's great.

As of last weekend, GZ3Doom now has support for the Oculus Rift DK2. Check it out: http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/

I could never imagine something as that to become more than a collectors item... VR headset monitors just do not look handy, fun, or interresting as a video game controller. Also knowing how many flopped since the 80's up to now

And doom realy seems to look awkward and ugly on a system not even made to be used for fake 3D ported to opengl while having the 2D sprites.

FireFish said:

I could never imagine something as that to become more than ...

I think most people who have tried Doom on the Rift would agree with you: you cannot imagine it until you have tried it.

FireFish said:

Also knowing how many flopped since the 80's up to now

The ones from the 80's up until now were all made from hacky garbage tech as a cheap gimmick.

The Oculus itself may be unfitting for a game as primitive as Doom, but for newer games like Half-life or those of the horror genre it's quite a perfect match. Also, I doubt Facebook will try to jam it full of weird shit, any VR "Skype calls" will probably just be an extra little thing you can do. My guess is that they're trying to quietly get a footing in general technology while they still have the money to do so, in case the Facebook website or Social Media in general ever implodes.

who knows, maybe it might do an Apple and ignite people to buy something of which nobody knew if anybody even wanted it.

To me it just seems to be something i would never need or want, and i can only go on history and current trends to try and project myself into the possibilities. I gues i would rather buy a computer or playstation (future number) if i ever have the spare money.

The Oculus Rift is an exciting development in itself, but I was pretty annoyed to learn that Facebook bought it, because fuck Facebook and their creepy stalkerish data harvesting ways (remember as a Facebook user you're not the customer, you're the product).

I just hope that it is successful enough for some other less ethically challenged company to come up with a decent alternative or two.

It's interesting that in the video he talks about how tall the imps are. This is the sort of thing that has come up in various threads about converting Doom units to real-world heights, and the Oculus Rift tends to show how strange the proportions are in a lot of FPSes (including most modern ones).

I imagine that it's a weird sensation to run through a 72-unit high hallway and feel like the ceiling is whizzing by just above your head.

I'm planning on porting Chocolate Doom to Oculus Rift. It will be a VR simulation of a teenager's bedroom, where you can sit down in front of an early '90s 486-class PC and play Doom.

That actually sounds like it could be very fun, Fraggle. How do the sprites render while looking down at them with the Occulus Rift? Do they still have the cardboard cutout look, or do they have some other weird effect in full VR?

*Edit: Nevermind, just watched the video again to find exactly what I was looking for. This is very nice, indeed!

fraggle said:

I'm planning on porting Chocolate Doom to Oculus Rift. It will be a VR simulation of a teenager's bedroom, where you can sit down in front of an early '90s 486-class PC and play Doom.

In all seriousness that could be done relatively easily on an id Tech 4 base, much like Terminal DOOM ;)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Which source port is used in this video ? Doomsday Engine supports Oculus Rift i guess .

The video is GZ3Doom http://rotatingpenuin.com/gz3doom/, part of the ZDOOM family. Doomsday and GZ3Doom are the two source ports that support the Oculus Rift at this time. GZ3Doom is my baby, and I also helped with the initial Oculus Rift implementation for Doomsday.

I recently bought the Oculus Rift and would have easily paid $100 for Doom 1 and 2 on the Oculus Rift. It is AMAZING!

It feels so real and like you are actually in the game. The monsters feel lifesize and the movement and control with the Oculus is just unreal. One of the most memorable experiences ever with Doom.

My wife and brother almost fell over while playing because of the movement. It really is an unreal experience playing it. Highly recommend it!

Yep, it's pretty fun in the rift. Have a consumer version, but it also worked well on the older dk1 & dk2 headset.

Just hoping they also update it to support htc vive.

Can't help but wonder if we're just going to see a parade of VR headsets come and go during the next few years. Will any of these products even be relevant by the end of the decade? Still, it'll be interesting to see how VR iterations of Doom develop...