Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What modifications are you using? (GZDoom)

Modifications that I use every time I play:

1. PSXMUSIC.WAD
2. Sbrightmaps.pk3
3. Lights.pk3
4. Brutal_Doom_v19_SE.pk3

What do you use to enhance your DooM experience?

(Any vanilla players, please refrain from posting about how much you hate mods; we get it, you don't like them.)

I only load the Doom Minor Sprite Fixing Project.

I'll also autoload lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3 for Heretic, but I turned it off for Doom because the glow shines through walls and often conflicts with PWAD resources (glowing corpse decorations in WolfenDoom, for example.)

i hove been playing a lot of demonsteele lately, needless to say its awesome, also for some reason whenever i play no rest for the living i use the roguelike arsenal, i just think it works well on it i guess. i also use the minor sprite fixing mod and the smooth doom mod. oh also the quake like tilt that nash made, i now have to use it

If I'm playing a vanilla megawad that doesn't require replacing assets, I normally go with my heavily modified Eriguns.wad coupled with droplets and smooth doom along with a few other minor mods I've made.

Right now I'm playing Valiant. The only additional mod I'm playing with is the rest of the stomper gun graphics to match the ones used in the megawad.

I sometimes use Jimmy's Jukebox if the WADs I am playing don't include new music. Other than that, nothing - I love Doom the way it is :)

I load 3D Models and HD Textures,although most of them get replaced if i'm playing online in a Mod server .

joe-ilya said:

RDHUD or Beautiful doom.

oh yeah i forgot, when i play joe illya maps, i always use the rainbow dash hud (unless im using a mod that conlicts with it)

raymoohawk said:

oh yeah i forgot, when i play joe illya maps, i always use the rainbow dash hud (unless im using a mod that conlicts with it)

Say, whaaaat?

That's hilarious.

Mostly weap mods, specially WildWeasel's ones because they are great and fun to play Doom with, also Neodoom, sometimes Brutal Doom Johnny Edition because its fun and somewhat balanced, Prodoomer project, Serpent Ressurection cuz' best Hexen mod, Hexercise, Wrath of Cronos and my Freedoom zombie skins along with my personal music pack.

GZDoom's brightmaps and dynlights when playing GZDoom; a custom version of Jimmy's jukebox whenever using a ZDoom-based port so that I can changemus to something else than "Running from Evil" when loading a map without its own soundtrackl; and the sprite fixes.

These are the ones I use most often:

1. Brutal Doom - I've recently been experimenting with variants, SE and EE to be precise, but for some reason they end up removing the railgun and grenade launcher

2. Real Guns Hardcore - For when I fancy shooting demons with real weapons

3. Russian Overkill - For when I feel like going completely nuts. Works best with slaughtermaps

4. ALIENS The Ultimate Doom - Kind of limited since I can't play Doom 2 WADs with this one

5. Aeons of Death v5 - I can't get v6 to work for some reason...

6. Hideous Destructor - For when I'm feeling masochistic. This mod is hard!

perkristian's sounds are probably the one thing that I've been Dooming with lately, especially when a custom wad I'm playing has pretty bad sounds.

taking a look at what's permanently preloaded in zdl:

- perkristian's hq sounds and smooth weapons ,they're pretty much standard now

- sigvatr's palplus (colder palette, i prefer that look)

- rdnd 1.5 for diversity

- sarge's ketchupmod because blood for the blood god (with the annoyingly loud splatter sounds removed)

these last 2 are purely cosmetic changes to doom, as i prefer the classic gameplay over changes made by mods

I like some enhancements without straying too far from the vanilla Doom experience, so I tend to use Smooth Doom as a base and a few tidbits that go well with it.

The specifics:

SmoothDoom.pk3
SmoothTextures.pk3
droplets_unlimited_v12.pk3
droplets_SDcompat.pk3
pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad
doom_wide.wad
lights.pk3
brightmaps.pk3

Damn, I never heard of smooth doom before...these death animations are great.

I don't see any difference at all, though, with the smoothtextures.pk3.

KillingMachine said:

doom_wide.wad

woah... missed that one. thanks!

as for smooth and rdnd, they seem to do pretty much the same. droplets is a bit more restrained than ketchup's buckets of blood. i have them all, should load them alternatively and see what looks best.

TraceOfSpades said:

I don't see any difference at all, though, with the smoothtextures.pk3.

I'm not entirely sure which or how many textures this one is actually supposed to enhance, but I have noticed that liquids like nukage seem to look nicer with it on Doom II. I don't load smoothtextures.pk3 when playing Ultimate Doom maps.

Random Deaths & Decoration
Perkristan's Smooth Doom animations
Widescreen friendly status bar
Sprite Fix Project 1.4
gz-qtilt.pk3
Self made mod to make liquids warpy like Quake

That's my usual loadout for playing.

Most of the time I use this setup :

pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad
j-jukebox-v9.pk3
juke_randomizer.pk3
nc_custom_hud_v1.18.pk3
caulkpc.pk3
pk_anim2.wad
smartscav-doom.pk3 (only works on 2.0 and qeffects when using GZDoom 1.8)
lights.pk3
brightmaps.pk3
ketchuptest4.pk3 or SmoothDoom-MonstersOnly.pk3
contrast3.wad

My full load out for GZDoom, if WAD compatible, is:

lights.pk3
SBrightmaps.pk3 (Love the glowing eyes!)
cosmdoom.wad (Cosmetic Doom and its add-ons)
cosmdoom-weapons.wad
cosmdoom-falls.wad
contrast3.wad (Makes the colouring a little darker)
doomvisor_hudWW.pk3 (Nice fun HUD which shows secrets count etc)
brutalkick.pk3 (The kick from Brutal Doom used as a secondary weapon)
firesky.pk3 (The fire sky from Playstation Doom for E3 maps)
gz-qtilt.pk3 (Can't live without Quake-like tilting now!)
psxsm.wad (My favourite ambient music WAD)
jjb9.pk3 (Jukebox for when I want a change)

For Plutonia I use:

plutmidi.wad
plutmidi-np.wad

For Harmony I use the lovely harmmidi.wad

Chex Quest gets a custom version of Lizard Squad.

Sometimes I mix and match with other mods but this is all in the shortcuts I have on my desktop and the set up I use most of the time. :)

Average said:

SBrightmaps.pk3 (Love the glowing eyes!)

Same here. I am also fond of what it does to the computer based textures and the cacodemon especially. I always use this.

Wow, what a useful thread!

I just tried coming up with an "enhanced vanilla" (think Doom Retro, not Brutal DOOM) list of autoloads. I ended up with:

1. sbrightmaps
  2. lights.pk3
  3. High resolution SFX
  4. Smooth Weapons
  5. Random Deaths and Decorations
  6. Droplets
  7. Sprite Fixes
As far as I can tell so far, these work together quite nicely.

With these loaded, I get the recolored blood on Barons (green blood), Hell Knights (green blood) and Cacodemons (blue blood), but red blood on Spectres. Therefore, I turn the "Use Fuzz Effect" option to "Translucent".

No real surprises as per mod compatility. I've found that for Going Down (custom monsters) I had to remove Random Deaths & Decorations, and for Ancient Aliens I had to remove Random Deaths & Decorations and Smooth Weapons.