Which do you choose?  

137 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which do you choose?

• E2M2: Containment Area
    • MAP29: The Living End

my thoughts:

Spoiler

E1M7 - no surprises. E3M9 is a rip of E3M1.
E4M1 - thought it would do better than how it did.
E1M8 - i'm a fan of map28 and i like the music and hellish atmosphere. however seeing as E1M8 is the boss map for the shareware episode, no surprises here.

Map28 is a great base for mods I will add - one of my favorites being this:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP07:_Cave_of_Hades_%28One_Bloody_Night%29

Map14 - No surprises. Map14 was a great city map and Map25 a meh hellish map with not so good music.

Map27 - IMO Map27 has a much better monster array than E3M7. I like the music for Map27 as well. No surprises here.

Map26 - I'm a little surprised as I prefer E3M2 due to design. I just don't really envision a mine in Map26.

E1M5 - No surprises. Knew this would win. 'Nuff Said.

E3M6 - Mt Erebus is a good level but E2M9 is the best of the secret levels in DOOM imo (followed by E1M9).

Map20 - MUCH better than Map05. Not surprised.

Map16 - I like this map. Very big with lots of roaming. E2M7 was good, but just not as good as Map16.

Map01 - This map isn't as glamorous as E1M1 and would easily lose to E1M1. I'm a little surprised over it winning to Downtown. Maybe it's cause of all the fast demos? Maybe cause Map01 is used for PWADs? Don't know really.

E1M1 - I really don't have much to say here. Of course it is superior to Map23. It's the first level most of us know about.

E3M3 - No opinion here. A very good battle, though. I do think E3M3 was a bit better, though. But it would have lost to E2M4 in my books since I really liked that map.

Map15 - E1M9 had no chance against this huge building battlefield. No surprises here.

Map10 - One of the more interesting battles. I think one of the big factors may be the Cyberdemon that teleports around. And of course, that room with all the zombies to obliterate. Don't get me wrong though, Map19 is a very large and interesting map.

E2M2 - No surprises. The map layout is much better than for E2M3.

PLAY-INS:

E3M9 - E3M9 is really E3M1 but Map31 wasn't that good. The map seemed kind of dull.

Map30 - I like the IoS. The fear of getting telefragged and swarmed. Took me a while to learn how to beat - as in years. As for E3M8 - you can hug the spiderdemon with a BFG and it will probably die in one hit.

E2M9 - Much better than E3M9. An interesting secret map. Map32 was much better than Map31 and I like it better than E2M9 so I am surprised it won. I mean running like a madman down a corridor dodging shooting Nazi's to open a door to find one angry Cyberdemon is fun, no?

Map07 - Now this surprised me. Yes, Fatsos and Arachnotrons are deadly. But... The first thrilling roar of the cyberdemon and getting rockets in your face for the first time is priceless.

Oh damn, missed the first round. Will have to pay attention. I am addicted to brackets (just got done updating brackets for a "favorite combiner" bracket over on a Transformers forum).

I totally contributed! This is an awesome spread and layout with the descriptions, videos, and reminders for all the old and new school players.

Spoiler

Map 11 vs E3M1, poor E3M1 doesn't have a chance, I voted Map 11
Map 4 vs E2M1, this was a tough one for me, had you asked me a month ago before I revisited Doom 2 to beat the whole game in one sitting I would easily have said E2M1 was the best, but as I keep replaying these maps my opinions continue to change as would be expected. Map 4 is one that continues to rise, while E2M1 has always been one that isn't one of my favorites, but I don't have any problems with it either, in the end I decided to go with Map 4 as the best of these 2.
E1M4 vs E2M6, once again I find that my opinion of this E2 map is quite the opposite of what most people think, I simply can't stand it, so I voted for E1M4.
Map 18 vs Map 22, Map 18 is in my top 5 favorite levels for Doom 2, so I obviously voted for that.
Map 8 vs Map 7, this was another kinda hard one for me, Map 8 used to be in my top 10 favorite maps of all time, I still love the map but not as much as I used to. It's that damned room with the Pain Elementals that makes me dislike Map 8, everything else I love, even that evil exit. I did end up voting for Map 8, I feel that there just isn't enough to Ma7 to give it my vote, it's just too simple.
E2M4 vs Map 12, another map falls victim to my opposite opinions of E2, plus The Factory is a great map, I voted for Map 12.
Map 6 vs E4M9, so while I do like E4M9, Map 6 is my second favorite level in Doom 2 so The Crusher gets my vote.
E4M6 vs E3M5, Ugh so this was a vote between my 2 least favorite levels in Doom. I get why people like E4M6, it Romero, it looks good, it has weird progression, but it's way to friggin difficult for me to enjoy, perhaps it's my complete unfamiliarity with the map, I've seriously only played it once or twice, but whatever it is I don't like it at all. Now the only map I dislike more than E4M6 is E3M5 & that's by a wide margin, I simply cannot stand this level at all, to me it's easily the worst map in either Doom or Doom 2. When the Doomworld Megawad players club did Ultimate Doom on the 20th Anniversary I couldn't even bring myself to finish the map I hate it so much. Since I can't skip this one I voted for E4M6.
Map 29 vs Map 30, yeah no competition here, I voted for Map 29.
Map 24 vs Map 9, Map 24 is a map I used to like quite a lot, but the more I play it the less I like it, the same could be said about Map 9, but to a far lesser extent, Map 9 gets my vote.
Map 2 vs E4M7, Underhalls gets my vote here, I was never really that fond of Dr. Sleeps work, he clearly is the best mapper out there at the time, but his work just doesn't do it for me.
E1M2 vs E4M8, this one was pretty close for me, both are some of my favorite maps in Doom, but I think that E1M2 has the edge.
Map 3 vs E4M5, this was another tough one for me, I never really thought I'd vote against The Gantlet, but that's exactly what I did here. E4M5 reminds me of a Romero map, even though Romero had maps in E4 they are in his Doom 2 style, whereas E4M5 reminds me of an E1 Romero map, the progression is linear even though it feels completely open, windows connecting everything together remind me of E1M7, E4M5 is simply the better map here.
E1M3 vs E3M4, E1M3 easily gets my vote here, I have always found E3M4 to be a rather forgettable map.
E1M6 vs E4M3, I'm not really a fan of E1M6, to me it is the worst map in E1 though there are still a few standout moments, it's just a case of being too big with too much going on that it gets boring after awhile. E4M3 on the other hand is one of my 5 favorite maps in Doom, so I voted for E4M3.
E4M2 vs Map 21, I voted for E4M2, how could you not. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but it's a fun pain in the ass.

Time for me to be right again.

Spoiler

MAP11 - Circle of Death
E2M1 - Deimos Anomaly
E2M6 - Halls of the Damned
MAP18 - The Courtyard
MAP08 - Tricks and Traps
MAP12 - The Factory (Would've voted for E2M4 out of nostalgia and my love for spooky maps, but I think MAP12 has better design overall if you discount the retarded exit puzzle)

MAP06 - The Crusher
E4M6 - Against Thee Wickedly
MAP29 - The Living End
MAP09 - The Pit
E4M7 - And Hell Followed
E1M2 - Nuclear Plant
MAP03 - The Gantlet
E1M3 - Toxin Refinery
E1M6 - Central Processing
E4M2 - Perfect Hatred

Oooh, it's stickied, that's why I missed it. I'm so used to automatically looking right past them since they tend to be old threads. Oops.

Magnusblitz said:

Oooh, it's stickied, that's why I missed it. I'm so used to automatically looking right past them since they tend to be old threads. Oops.

Yeah I missed round zero because I also just skip past those.

Spoiler

MAP11 / E3M1: Circle of Death wins handily.
MAP04 / E2M1: Tough choice for me, I like both these maps. I ended up giving my vote to The Focus.
E1M4 / E2M6: I actually like E1M4, but E2M6 made quite the impression on me as a young lad, so had to go with Halls of the Damned.
MAP18 / MAP22: And now we have the opposite, two maps I don't really care for. I went with The Courtyard.
MAP08 / MAP07: MAP07 certainly sticks out as iconic, but, I'm also tired of seeing it get copied over and over. I always loved Tricks and Traps for some of its setups, so it gets my vote.
E2M4 / MAP12: I love E2M4, easy vote for Deimos Labs.
MAP06 / E4M9: Never was a fan of either map, but the titular room for The Crusher gives it my vote.
E4M6 / E3M5: I hated E3M5 when I was younger, but I've grown to appreciate it more as an adult and find it underrated. But E4M6 is a great map, so Against Thee Wickedly takes it.
MAP29 / MAP30: No way I'm voting for MAP30. Freebie win for The Living End!
MAP24 / MAP09: I hate both these maps, but I hate The Pit slightly less, so I went with it. Pretty much the only thing I like about MAP24 is the color scheme.
MAP02 / E4M7: Underhalls is too classic to not vote for it.
E1M2 / E4M8: I like that E4M8 actually has some meat to it for a boss level, but Nuclear Plant is also a classic and gets my vote.
MAP03 / E4M5: MAP03 has a lot going for it, but I've always found E4M5 to be underrated - if it had a better texture scheme I think it'd be remembered as one of the greats. So going with They Will Repent.
E1M3 / E3M4: Never really a fan of E3M4, gotta go with Toxin Refinery.
E1M6 / E4M3: Tough choice. I like E4M3 a lot, but that damn wood-everything color scheme really lets it down. Just barely voted for Central Processing. Damn you KTITD nostalgia!
E4M2 / MAP21: No contest, MAP21 is just Perfect Hatred's sacrifice.

Spoiler

MAP11 / E3M1: I prefer Map11. E3M1 has good music. No surprises if map 11 wins.
MAP04 / E2M1: E2M1 hands down.
E1M4 / E2M6: Two good maps. E2M6 being one of the best. Of course this map will win. It has my vote.
MAP18 / MAP22: I really like Map18. Map22 is meh for a hell map.
MAP08 / MAP07: Map08 has the scary exit. Map08 has the room with the cyberdemon that gets pwned by the barons. And Map08 gets my vote.
E2M4 / MAP12: E2M4 hands down. Superior in everything vs Map12.
MAP06 / E4M9: Both meh maps. The crusher does have a few surprises to it. One does not expect a powerful monster this early even if it is crushable. So i voted for it.
E4M6 / E3M5: E4M6 hands down. Love the ledges with the lava pit.
MAP29 / MAP30: I'm a fan of the IoS. I like a nice challenge. But this is based off of Map30 itself. There are no clues for a first timer on how to beat it. And when you do, it's suddenly easy. There are map30 mods (Shai'tan's Luck) and one for WOOO 2 that I made with Walter C. (a little self-promotion haha) that are much more challenging. Map29 IS a good and challenging map so I'm voting for it.
MAP24 / MAP09: I hate both these maps. Map09 has good music. Map24 doesn't. And Map24 takes up a hell slot which sucks. So Map09.

MAP02 / E4M7: Not much to say. With some exceptions I prefer Hell Maps so I vote E4M7.
E1M2 / E4M8: I agree with the poster above me.
MAP03 / E4M5: I really like the layout for E4M5, so I vote for it. Music is also better.
E1M3 / E3M4: I liked E3M4. Music fits the map perfectly. E1M3 was good but not one of my favorite E1 Maps, so I'm going with E3M4.
E1M6 / E4M3: E1M6 because the music and was my favorite E1 Map along with E1M5.
E4M2 / MAP21: Map21 stunk. Perfect Hatred was a great map. 'Nuff Said.

Spoiler

-MAP11
-E2M1
-E1M4
-E2M6
-MAP22, i was battled between this map and map18, but when i was a kid i found this map pretty stupid since i was thinking it was only the starting room whit the blue skull exit door
-MAP08
-E2M4, classy
-E4M9
-E3M5
-MAP29
-MAP09
-E4M7
-E4M8
-MAP03
-E1M3
-E1M6
-MAP21

Heh, goodbye Sandy maps :-D

That Pit vs Chasm though, I wish there was a None of the above option...

VGA said:

Heh, goodbye Sandy maps :-D

That Pit vs Chasm though, I wish there was a None of the above option...

How dare you. The Chasm is objectively the best Sandy map, and it's an excellent map in itself.

Most of the Chasm is pretty great IMO, and among Sandy's best work in the Doom games. That whole underground cavern look is just awesome. The side areas, like the weird flashing blue room and computer station section, are pretty cool too.

The map as a whole is really hurt though by those razor thin walkways. Going through those parts is not fun in any sense of the word.

Processingcontrol said:

The map as a whole is really hurt though by those razor thin walkways. Going through those parts is not fun in any sense of the word.

xD

When I think of the chasm, I think of it as the pinnacle of the scarcely explored concept of first person platforming.

When I think of the pit I think of not easily identifiable switches and doors, and broken pain elementals.

No contest.

I think they're both great; it was a tough call for me - my pick was pretty arbitrary in the end, to the point that now I'm unsure which one I went for.

I dislike both maps, but The Pit feels like a map that actually hates you and does so effectively, The Chasm just feels annoying. "Oops, fell off the tightrope again."

It was an easy pick for me. I love The Chasm and The Pit both, but I just love The Pit more, for its totally surreal dream-logic progression.

After a relatively grounded first episode, The Pit is like the internal logic of the game world being warped and dismantled around you as walls raise and collapse and you're tiptoeing across awkward corners between areas that were clearly not designed to touch.

Spoiler

MAP11 - Circle of Death
MAP04 - The Focus
E1M4 - Halls of the Damned
MAP22 - The Catacombs
MAP07 - Dead Simple
E2M4 - Deimos Lab (this one was very difficult, as I think both of them are bad)
MAP06 - The Crusher (the same, but for the opposite reason)
E3M5 - Unholy Cathedral
MAP30 - Icon of Sin
MAP24 - The Chasm
E4M7 - And Hell Followed
E4M8 - Unto the Cruel
MAP03 - The Gantlet
E1M3 - Toxin Refinery
E1M6 - Central Processing
E4M2 - Perfect Hatred

i think The Pit is more fun overall to play, though The Chasm's gimmick is pretty cool. it also helps that The Pit has one of the best tracks in the game (why is this one only played once, while DDTBLU is replayed thrice?!!) and speaking of tracks, it would be cool to see a similar kind of tournament for the games music tracks, if that hasn't been done already.

Doomhuntress said:

(why is this one only played once, while DDTBLU is replayed thrice?!!)

DDTBLU is replayed only twice. :p

Setting up The Pit vs. The Chasm, man. You have no heart, Ling. I love them both, in fact I think they were both on that "top maps" list I pulled out of my ass back when this thing started. Again, I won't say which I voted for, but I see a strong case for both, with the biggest drawback to The Chasm being that it feels slightly underpopulated given its size (especially given relative monster density in stuff like Refueling Base or whatnot), and the biggest drawback to The Pit actually being the odd little bits in it that seem like they might be actual malfunctions as opposed to everyday Sandyweirds (e.g. the barren Pain Elementals), given that it's such a busy map.

Incidentally, per Doomhuntress' comment about the BGM tracks, for my part I pretty much always IDMUS to 'Into Sandy's City' when I play "The Chasm."

Round 1.5 is now over!

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP11%7CE3M1&chco=0000e0&chd=e%3A48HC
MAP11: Circle of Death demolished E3M1: Hell Keep, as expected, since E3M1 is atrocious and MAP11 is great.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP04%7CE2M1&chco=ff9900&chd=e%3AdFi5
In the one and only "upset" in this round, E2M1: Deimos Anomaly edged out MAP04: The Focus. People love their inverted crosses.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E1M4%7CE2M6&chco=d00000&chd=e%3AhveP
E2M6: Halls of the Damned was actually leading for much of the polling time, but E1M4: Command Control came roaring back at the end to give The Swastika Level the victory. You bigots.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP18%7CMAP22&chco=dcca02&chd=e%3AqdVh
MAP18: Courtyard easily handled MAP22: The Catacombs.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP08%7CMAP07&chco=00d000&chd=e%3AiUdq
MAP07: Dead Simple put on a good showing, but in the end, it couldn't fend off MAP08: Tricks and Traps and the Cyberdemon lecture hall.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E2M4%7CMAP12&chco=9601ac&chd=e%3Ap4WG
E2M4: Deimos Lab dispatched MAP12: The Factory with relative ease.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP06%7CE4M9&chco=0000e0&chd=e%3A2lJZ
MAP06: The Crusher crushed E4M9: Fear.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E4M6%7CE3M5&chco=ff9900&chd=e%3AzEM6
E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly beat E3M5: Unholy Cathedral, but not as overwhelmingly as I had expected.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP29%7CMAP30&chco=d00000&chd=e%3A6KF0
On the other hand, MAP29: The Living End annihilated MAP30: Icon of Sin, because duh.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP24%7CMAP09&chco=dcca02&chd=e%3AprWT
In the most vocally contentious matchup thus far, MAP24: The Chasm easily cast MAP09: The Pit into the abyss.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP02%7CE4M7&chco=00d000&chd=e%3At8SC
MAP02: Underhalls put E4M7: And Hell Followed to sleep.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E1M2%7CE4M8&chco=9601ac&chd=e%3A2GJ4
E1M2: Nuclear Plant took E4M8: Unto The Cruel behind the woodshed.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=MAP03%7CE4M5&chco=0000e0&chd=e%3AkpbV
E4M5: They Will Repent put up a good showing, but ultimately, MAP03: The Gantlet wore the pants.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E1M3%7CE3M4&chco=ff9900&chd=e%3A31IJ
E1M3: Toxin Refinery jumped around E3M4: House of Pain.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E1M6%7CE4M3&chco=d00000&chd=e%3Ap4WG
E1M6: Central Processing and its hordes of zombiemen vanquished E4M3: Sever The Wicked and its... hordes of zombiemen.

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=p&chs=180x90&chl=E4M2%7CMAP21&chco=dcca02&chd=e%3A6KF0
E4M2: Perfect Hatred gave MAP21: Nirvana an aneurysm, drained it of life, and put its remains in a heart shaped box. Made of lithium.

Linguica said:

MAP02: Underhalls put E4M7: And Hell Followed to sleep.

For me reading the descriptions is the best part of the whole thing.

Never_Again said:

For me reading the descriptions is the best part of the whole thing.

I'm surprised by a few of these results.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

I'm surprised by a few of these results.

Yeah that lazy map08 with the random gimmicky rooms won over a nicely orchestrated battle in Dead Simple with actual special map actions and new enemies?