Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retron

Has anyone seen these before?

Apologies if this has come up before, but I thought it might be of interest to some of you....

I've been clearing out some old magazines recently, when I found the first copy of PC Gamer I bought; issue 4 from March 1994.

The 'best game ever' bit refers to Sim City 2000, which had just launched - at the back of the magazine, the Shareware section was devoted to Doom. They also had a feature about the game, with a photo showing some models (from Doom 2 - obviously at the time I didn't know that) and the digitising apparatus. I wonder how much those models would fetch on eBay now? ;)

http://www.medvale.fsnet.co.uk/02.jpg
(Edit - sorry, I didn't realise you weren't allowed to post large images. Click on the link above to see the piccy.)

According to PCGamer the best game ever is Half-Life, followed by Deus Ex. Doom is like 15th on the list.

Nuno Correia said:

According to PCGamer the best game ever is Half-Life, followed by Deus Ex. Doom is like 15th on the list.

Maybe so, but that article I referred to was 8 years ago, before the US PC Gamer had launched. It's got a whole load about how Quake will allow you to climb into clouds, where there will be a castle to explore ;)

On my bookshelf, I have a copy of the German magazine "Dos Trend Extra", issue 4/1993. Issue 4/1993 most likely means "December 1993" :) It also came with Doom Shareware on floppies. Completly dedicated to Doom, it provides various screenshots of alpha and beta versions on 30 pages. I will upload the mag scans once I have a better online storage than this yahoo briefcase crap.

I have an issue of CVG from mid '94 that reviews Doom and previews Doom2.

It's the old hardcore version of Doom1 with the level number in the status bar. I forget which version that is. That is my most prized magazine ever. I still read the article every month or so. I didn't have a PC at the time, but I'd played Doom, and this mag brought me closer to it. I literally used to drool at the prospect of one day being able to afford enough PC to run it, heh.

As for those models, I guess id has them in a safe place, they are like gold dust I'd imagine.

Nuno Correia said:

Halflife blows donkey dick... it's so boring

It was ok. It's not as bad as I gave it credit for the first time I played through it but the gameplay was missing a lot of nagging little things that could've made it 10 times better.

ANYWAY, it goes like this...

Heretic and Hexen are the best games ever
Doom is the greatest game ever
EarthBound is the swankest game ever
Daikatana is the most underrated game ever
Killer Instinct 2 / Gold is the greatest repetetive game ever
Half-Life is the most overrated game ever
Diablo 2 is the most redundant game ever
Quake 3 is the gayest game ever
Zelda 64: Majora's mask is the best way to fucking ruin a series

more as I can think of them

Liam the Bard said:

It was ok. It's not as bad as I gave it credit for the first time I played through it but the gameplay was missing a lot of nagging little things that could've made it 10 times better.

Yeah it'a so-so game with good and bad points imo but the thing about PC Gamer is all newbies buy it and make up a large % of their readership so consequently the currently 'cool' stuff gets the votes.
You still have to admit #15 is quite remarkable.
Now,I'll have to dig those old CVGs outta the attic.

Liam the Bard said:

Zelda 64: Majora's mask is the best way to f***ing ruin a series

Yay! someone finally agrees!

I wish I had a copy of that magazine. :)

Forgot to mention this was from a article in their website. And even though HL is a great game, howfuckingcome is Ultimate Race Pro a better game than, say, Magic Carpet?

Simcity 2000 greatest game ever? MVAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember when it was new - came nowhere close to Doom!

And HL is only really interesting the first time you play through it.
I will not comment on Liam's list, because that'd only start some major trouble.

No, Ocarina of Time kicked ass. Majora's Mask was the rough equivalent of getting blown by a chainsaw.

DC

I forgot that PC magazine once had such incredibly simplistic covers ;) Actually, I think I've got every single issue of PCG UK, right back to issue 1. I might even have issue 0 (the one that came with other Future PC magazines of the time, e.g. PC Format), I'm not sure.

Heh, I've also got every issue of PC Zone right back to something like number 7. I think I either need to sell some of these things or just chuck 'em, they're starting to take up WAY too much space :)

I presume you have this months? Wow, those Doom 3 pics. I mean, that broken tiling on the bathroom floor. Everything. The interview wasn't huge but nevermind.

Yes and yes :) The Deus Ex 2 screenshots look pretty sweet too, especially that city one on page 32.

Liam the Bard said:

I will never understand why so many people liked earthboud so much.

yea PC gamer ranked duke3d as 'better' than doom... what the bloody fuck! anyway i would say that as far as older games goes doom is #1 but as far as newer games i agree with the half-life.

Earthbound=RPG for peeps who is too fuckin lazy to actually play a real RPG, which requires THINKING, and appreciate running around as some little kid, who looks like his graphics were drawn in less than 10 seconds, by a one armed orangutan, who has a major case of lime disease.

........... basically, I can't stand dat fuckin game.

Liam the Bard said:

For someone so young, your taste and wisdom are amazing.

Doomworld's resident Transformers collecting ghetto nigga said:

Earthbound=RPG for peeps who is too fuckin lazy to actually play a real RPG, which requires THINKING

A real 'thinking' RPG like what? Something where I drag my level 15.6701 fighter/magician through 1000 identical medieval towns and collect gold and items like 'super chain mace of the dragon', and 'bronze sword/spear of the dragon's leeching claw', and 'item-detecting socketed staff of ralphis'? No thanks. The only game to do that and make it entertaining was Baldur's Gate. I played both the Elder Scrolls games for about a week each and about stuck a whole package of Q-Tips into my brain, I'm not even going to fucking bother with Morrowind. Oh, and don't even get me started on Diablo.

, and appreciate running around as some little kid, who looks like his graphics were drawn in less than 10 seconds, by a one armed orangutan, who has a major case of lime disease.

The character sprites and enemy graphics are meant to look silly. Hell, there's some cool shit to see in EarthBound even if the game is a virtual cartoon. Someday I'm going to have to try to recreate some of the scenery with an HL map or something. Oh and the soundtrack ruled too, it fit the game perfectly.

Earthbound also has one of the best plot lines ever to come from those crazy Japs across the sea. Way better than Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger, that's for fuck's sure.

DAIKATANA IS THE BEST GAME EVER IMHO.
Followed by (in order):
Doom
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
The entire Turok trilogy
Duke Nukem 3D
Super Smash Bros. Melee (fun as Hell)
Aliens vs. Predator 2
Heretic
Hexen
Quake 2
Starfox 64