Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Who's in charge with Doomworld webpage hosting? Is it still open for new projects?

Is Doomworld still open to accepting new pages on its domain? Or is the process too complicated because it involves asking admins from AtomicGamer? Is there anything going to be done about old dead Doomworld pages (if any)?

I think it's theoretically possible but AFAIK Doomworld hasn't onboarded any new sites in over a decade.

fraggle said:

I think it's theoretically possible but AFAIK Doomworld hasn't onboarded any new sites in over a decade.

Old money needs some new blood.

printz said:

Is there anything going to be done about old dead Doomworld pages (if any)?

Probably not, though apart from fixing a bunch of 3ddownloads.com links I'd leave most of those pages to fossilize.

<--- heh

GreyGhost said:
<--- heh

there were these 3 kids who sat immediately behind me in a computer programming course. They would spend the entire hour playing around with this cheap-ass game maker software that came with a sound library with the ability to import audio files. What inevitably happened was they took the "over 9000" sound clip and looped over and over again in their shitty-ass comedy game, changing the pitch, duration, and volume of the thing. You don't know what it's like to hear "it's over 9000" as a phrase spaced out over 5 minutes in slowed down warped speech, and you definitely don't know what it's like to hear three different computers blaring this clip over and over again, day after day

the guy who next to me played tetris for the entire hour, every day, for weeks, was visibly irritated by their repetitive antics. that's saying something. but the teacher didn't seem to give a shit since there she basically set her own curriculum standards and let everyone skate through the course if they wanted to.

Pinchy said:

Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited

Jelsoft developed and marketed the forum software we all love to complain about, but (AFAIK) have no say when it comes to deciding whose pet project is hosted on Doomworld.

TheCupboard said:

You don't know what it's like to hear "it's over 9000" as a phrase spaced out over 5 minutes in slowed down warped speech

Five minutes! You're right, I don't know, but I suspect the novelty wore off fairly quickly.

It involves asking admins from AtomicGamer and they don't seem to respond to my emails anymore.

What if Atomicgamer goes down? Is there a backup plan for Doomworld forum hosting?

Hosting webpages? I recall it was a popular fad when WS_FTP95 was all the rage.

Speaking of WS_FTP95, my current ISP/host required using WS_FTP95 and Only WS_FTP95 until 2009 or so, in order to access its ftp service and upload your stuff. All other FTP clients would fail (except for command-like ftp, on both Linux and Windows). WTF was that about...

VGA said:

What if Atomicgamer goes down? Is there a backup plan for Doomworld forum hosting?

Sort of.

Linguica said:

There is??

It's been discussed before.

It was admittedly years ago when there was some kind of UGO/TF craptastic flash ad bullshit going on...

That's why I said sort of. I'm sure if push came to shove we'd all think of something. Didn't Manc get hosting via mancunet to a kind of stand by readiness?