Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

STARTAN Challenge Project (done and released)

Good project?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Good project?

• No
    • Impse

EDIT (June 4th):

PROJECT IS FINISHED. Final /idgames release: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/foolstar.zip

Thanks everyone for their submissions.

Original post with project instructions is here:

Spoiler

Make a map using PRIMARILY Doom Builder's default Doom 2 textures (STARTAN2, FLOOR0_1, CEIL1_1). You can use other textures too, even custom textures if you want, but use primarily the default ones. Format, compatibility, map size, gameplay style and your effort doesn't matter. All maps are accepted unless they're malicious.

Despite being a joke, please don't derail the thread and make the project happen anyway. I'll probably make my map later today.

Custom music is allowed, but D_RUNNIN is preferred.

Would be using floor and ceiling texture on a wall in an UDMF format map be considered cheating?

Download: vilegame.zip [-complevel 2]

Kill all keens to open the exit. This has probably been done before but oh well. I guess with Boom you could randomise thing placement every time.

star.wad
A linear yet not simple map with a MIDI I made myself, it's called "murder" and it's the first serious MIDI I've finished, but it will sound like shit on OPL.

Haha tourniquet, the concept is brilliant and I really liked how the speed was balanced.

Xnv, be aware that the medikit and backpack can be wall-grabbed before the wall raises. Other that that, a sufficient berserk fun.

The only map so far that I've found fun was xnv's one. It doesn't matter today, but still, I'm slightly disappointed. Keep them coming, though!

This is objectively the best project and I'm absolutely going to make something for it.

hey yo

if you use a different editor can you use the default textures from that application instead? for example WinDEU favors GRAY4, FLOOR03 and FLAT18 for the ceiling

^No, the textures are given. STARTAN2, FLOOR0_1, CEIL1_1.

---
Also, here is my submission: Rabble
(build time 1.5 hours)

There's no time limit, is there? Anyways here's proof that I'm actually working on something. This is still heavily WIP and I need to place monsters, but sleep first.

Everything in that screenshot <except the default textures and sky> looks great, Jimmy! :D

Good effort, walter. The map is ugly as expected, inconsistent too, but at least it's somewhat "stylized", which makes it more pleasant to wander through. It has linear progression and simplistic gameplay as most of your maps, though. I really like the idea to use WOOD3 texture to complement the default textures. The conveyor belt part (aside from wall texturing) is surprisingly well working atmosphere-wise.

Alfonzo said:

> Startan project

Come on, fess up! Who was it? Who slipped him the memo?

:D

Well i do a try too but i'll not able to complete it today since i have work and i have to sleep early but has a proof here is a printscreen of DB2 -

scifista42 said:

deadline is tomorrow. Hurry up!

So yeah, looks like it's soon. Mine won't be done by then D:

Here's a crappy map from me:

QUALITY LEVEL DESIGN
Build Time: 4 hours, I think
MIDI: "Last Resord" from Requiem

I need to go to sleep now and relax the rest of my spring break.
Happy April fools day you gits.

Breezeep, even though your map is kinda "standard" (unsurprising) small modern map, it's actually good looking despite using so much STARTAN! The best looking and best playable map so far, I'd say. But - both red doors can be opened by a blue key. Playtesting = gold. ;)

You're Startan2 Piss Me Off

Turned out okay I guess! There's probably a bit more texture variety in this than any other submission so far though.

MIDI is by me and it's called "Knock It Off!".

EDIT: I updated the map with more verticality.

EDIT EDIT: oh hey screenshoots

@Jimmy: Great map, great looking! I don't know if the Cyberdemon and PEs were an injoke about crappy maps (supposed to call / originating from a distant mind association), but whatever. Bug: After raising the exit bridge and falling down to the start door, there doesn't seem to be a way out. There's also too few ammo to kill the Cyberdemon, even with secrets. The secrets were good, I liked them.

Thanks for catching that bug, scifista, whoopsie. D: Updated the link.

I'm not sure what you mean in your sentence about the PEs and cyber. I'd like cybie to stay, although I admit the pains could be utilized better or outright replaced. If you have any idea what I should do with them, fire away.

I didn't mean that they were bad in your map. I've only meant that they might have been placed with the purpose to provoke a mind connection with crappy maps inside the player's head, or that you did (unconsciously?) place them because you felt the connection. They're OK as they are. :)

If you can give me a few days. I am going to make a little map for this. Mainly STAR, esp STARTAN2 and some lights and supports and good old D_RUNNIN in the background.