Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

3D Realms is hiring for new Build Engine Game

OK, so this isn't Doom, but it's still WTF-worthy:

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/8003-3d-realms-is-hiring-for-new-build-engine-game/

Are you experienced with Build Engine?
We're looking for Artists, Level Designers, Game Designers, Animators, Programmers and Techincal Artists with Build Engine experience, for an exciting new 3D Realms Project.
For more info, please email freds@3drealms.com

It appears... legit? The hell??

They didn't say the project is going to be a new commercial Build Engine Game. They're just looking for Build Engine experienced people.

But then why look for people with Build experience? It says they are doing a new project and it doesn't specify what, but why else would they want persons who know Build? I can only assume they're doing something with that engine (or perhaps a new one they developed that is similar/based off of build?)

scifista42 said:

They didn't say the project is going to be a new commercial Build Engine Game.

It's literally the title of the linked thread. Well, it doesn't say commercial, but no one has said commercial except you.

Depending on how things go with a current partnership I have, this may not be the only commercial 2.5D game being done brand new.

It's the 20th anniversary of Duke 3D's release next year, so presumably this is going to be some promotional thing around that.

Piper Maru said:

I didn't even know 3D Realms was still around.

This. I thought they were dead. Well it's nice to see they are still around.

And it will be interesting to see what this project they are working on will be. I hope it's a new shooter with high modding abilities!

Early April 1st? :-D

If it's legit, then it's obviously some HD/Redux version of the original.

VGA said:

Early April 1st? :-D

If it's legit, then it's obviously some HD/Redux version of the original.

Hasn't that already been made? I am pretty sure that the Megaton edition of Duke3D is exactly that.

I think you guys should apply. Build works pretty similarly to the Doom engine and with so many talented people here something pretty spectacular could be made.

I have a feeling they want to make a Bombshell FPS on the build engine. Basically Duke Nukem with a chick.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Woah Build Engine is a very old ,why would they do this ? For a free upcoming game ?

Have you seen some of the maps made for it? They make the game look like a high quality indie title and they even use stock resources. I don't remember the names of the maps but one of the best was a map in an asylum. Fucking amazing. I'd pay money for content like that.

I truly believe that games like The Adventures of Square and this hypothetical Build game could promote the respective engines as a platform for indie developers. If a game one these engines is really good I'd pay even 30$ for it.

If they are making a Build game then it's a really smart marketing move. They would revive the old school shooter among the masses, it could serve as a promotion for Bombshell and it would really please the fans because it would show how much the devs appreciated them.

I wish Id did something like that too, a new episode made for the original Doom as an excellent promotion for Doom 4 with minimal resources involved. Hell, Tim Willits could make it alone.

Well i think this is a good oportunity to for someone experiencied with the Build Engine and the same time confusing because Unreal Engine to me is like Build Engine 2.

This is so interesting but at the same time so weird. I suppose stranger things have happened before. More 2.5D action is welcome in my life.

I saw the trailer for WGRealms 2 on YT once and mistook it at first as a new indie shooter using BUILD and being a throwback to the 90s before realizing it was just a standalone game using EDuke32 (all the rips should of made that obvious).

So, does anyone know if anything came of this? Perhaps an updated Blood port a la Duke and Shadow Warrior? A Bombshell 'demake' map for promotion?

Just curious as it's been a few months and I haven't heard any more about it. :)

The project hasn't been officially announced yet, but it's confirmed to be a Bombshell prequel running on the EDuke32 source port of the Duke 3D Build engine. It's been described as a standalone single episode, akin to an old timey shareware release, with early first access going to those who pre-order Bombshell. Several members of the Duke4.net forums are on the development team, the maintainers of EDuke32 included.

Piper Maru said:

I didn't even know 3D Realms was still around.

They are partnered with Interceptor (the guys that did ROTT remake and are doing BombShell). I think it's something more like Interceptor owns 3D Realms now, but idk.

I wonder if the new female character for the game Bombshell wont have as much as an impact which Duke Nukem used to have.

The game isn't going to have as much of an impact as Duke 3D had in its time, so the main character will have a big handicap if it wants to be as big as Duke in pop culture.

I heard about the rumored Bombshell side-game made in the Build engine to go alongside the main game from LazyGameReviews.

I can only imagine they're attempting to create an indie retro FPS of some sort. To be entirely honest, why else would they develop a Build game, of all things?