Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sandstormer

3DGE Kira Music Pack [Fixed]

So, I was watching the Doom Video Vault when I noticed an interesting soundtrack composed by Kira. I thought it would be a good idea to port it to 3DGE so that 3DGE users could have a custom soundtrack to play along to. So, after receiving proper permission from Kira, I put this pack together. The songs were originally in MP3 format, so I used Audacity to convert them to .OGG format. The volume was waaay too high on many of the tracks, so I lowered them where needed. I divided the soundtrack into three parts as separate and more manageable downloads. Vol.1 is Doom1&2, Vol.2 is TNT, and Vol.3 is plutonia. I also provided a single download for the entire soundtrack, but it is pretty heavy.

3DGE Vol.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dts158f4ihds6td/3DGE+Kira+Music+Vol.1.zip

3DGE Vol.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ub4pw9yrx46wufy/3DGE+Kira+Music+Vol.2.zip

3DGE Vol.3
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gmkbqe51mt3tm1c/3DGE+Kira+Music+Vol.3.zip

3DGE Music Pack v1.0 (All volumes together):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k89440gvzgmteig/3DGE+Kira+Music+Pack.zip

This seems interesting, I'll definitely check it out.

EDIT: Given the massive size I would recommend to store the music files externally for long-term reliability and stability. WAD files weren't designed to store so much data.

I liked this remastered music, for the most part. However, volume is still an issue, some of the tracks were quite low while others nearly blew my head off (I was using headphones at the time).

Sandstormer said:

The songs were originally in MP3 format, so I used Audacity to convert them to .OGG format.

Lossy -> lossy = you have no idea what you're doing.

If the only thing you need to change in the original tracks is their volume, use MP3gain. It changes the volume without re-encoding.
Or does 3DGE not support MP3s?

Never_Again said:

If the only thing you need to change in the original tracks is their volume, use MP3gain. It changes the volume without re-encoding.
Or does 3DGE not support MP3s?

It used to support MP3 but I'm pretty sure it was removed. Probably to avoid copyright issues (people putting copyrighted music in their WADs). Besides, MP3 isn't such a good format since there are newer and better ones today. FLAC for instance.

Sandstormer: The name of the DDF files internally (as lumps) should be as follows:

ANIM.DDF --> DDFANIM
ATTACKS.DDF --> DDFATK
COLMAP.DDF --> Not sure, never used it
FONTS.DDF --> DDFFONT
GAMES.DDF --> DDFGAME
IMAGES.DDF --> DDFIMAGE
LEVELS.DDF --> DDFLEVL
LINES.DDF --> DDFLINE
PLAYLIST.DDF --> DDFPLAY
SECTORS.DDF --> DDFSECT
SOUNDS.DDF --> DDFSFX
STYLES.DDF --> DDFSTYLE
SWITCH.DDF --> DDFSWTH
THINGS.DDF --> DDFTHING
WEAPONS.DDF --> DDFWEAP
COAL_API.EC --> Again, never used this one
COAL_HUD.EC --> COALHUDS
RSCRIPT.RTS --> RSCRIPT
LANGUAGE.LDF --> DDFLANG

Documentation for EDGE/3DGE is practically non-existing, so I'm probably your go-to guy.

Thanks a million, Never_Again and CeeJay! It seems that 3DGE currently only supports MIDI, MUS, and OGG formats according to the DDF documentation examples that I downloaded from Sourceforge. I am investigating some more solutions to packaging the music at the moment.

Edit: Didn't realize that I had a PM. You're the best, CeeJay!

CeeJay said:

Documentation for EDGE/3DGE is practically non-existing, so I'm probably your go-to guy.

You do know we have an 3DGEwiki now? Updating documentation efforts should go there.

MP3 was ripped out because it was only 8khz, monaural, and sounded like shit. I've thought about adding it back in and cleaning it up, but MP3 is a terrible format for games anyway.

Chu said:

You do know we have an 3DGEwiki now? Updating documentation efforts should go there.

I did not know that, I'll certainly check it out.

Chu said:

MP3 was ripped out because it was only 8khz, monaural, and sounded like shit. I've thought about adding it back in and cleaning it up, but MP3 is a terrible format for games anyway.

Agreed