Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

What's up with that Doom 2 banner?

Does anyone have any idea what meaning does that banner with a hollow circle below five diamonds have? It looks political.

Ya its most likely a political banner that remained after the invasion, though I dont know what a political banner would be doing in a factory (Map12)

The five diamonds in a way remind me of the five stars on a generals coat, maybe it's a military banner.

Piper Maru said:

I just assume that demons are into arts & crafts and like to display their work.

Ya but this banner design isn't their style.

I just assumed they were part of the magic/occult symbolism similar to the pentagrams and upside crosses seen throughout Doom 1 + 2. Although removed from the context of the game it reminds me of Sonic more than anything (a gold ring on a blue background.) Heh.

joe-ilya said:

It's the sign of magic.

Interesting. Similar banners are encountered in some PWADs, and can have the signs of the Serpent Riders. Which means that Doom and Heretic are connected. And the Serpent Riders already have ways to connect distant worlds like Parthoris and Kronos. But we don't know if they're separate like our universe and hell. Maybe they can't just spawn into Doom.

Stiil, the very thing I imagine when I see such a banner is "hell nazis". Together with the Doom 2 palace wood panel textures, it looks like Wolfenstein.

Flag of the United Earth government, I'm sure, which functions as the civilian management arm of the UAC :P

The four outer diamonds stand for the 4 elements, the middle diamond stands for how awesome Doom is, and the circle underneath is a physical representation of the mathematical equation that describes how much bigger your dick gets when you pick up a berserk pack.

Krispy said:

...and the blue represents prosperity.

Then what does the other coloured banners represent?

I think they were trying to create a Dark Ages medieval feeling. It looks like a coat of arms perhaps. Remember they wanted the city to be transformed by hell, what better way to do that than turn development back 1500 years and have the demons start building stuff out of wood, marble, and gravel.

It's possible they were getting kind of psyched up to do Quake, and they started blending their styles already: tech, medieval, and demonology.

The ring reminds me of a similar design seen sometimes in churches; It symbolizes unity; A husband and wife bear a ring as a symbol of their union.

In the church, often the symbol of grain is paired with the ring. Grain, or bread, the sustenance that keep the body strong. The body is an important theme to Christians, too; The body of Christ.

Here isn't grain, though, as you have mentioned. It is actually five diamonds.

They might actually be diadems, not diamonds. In popular Christian belief, Mary had a dream shortly before Jesus was born. In the drea, a giant dragon flew up into the sky, and seven diadems appeared above its head.

Billy Baron said:

Grain, or bread, the sustenance that keep the body strong. The body is an important theme to Christians, too; The body of Christ.

Here isn't grain, though, as you have mentioned. It is actually five diamonds.

I thought only Pagans used grain.

Right, well, as I said, there were seven diadems in Mary's dream.

Maybe somebody ate the other two diadems because noone planted the grain or made the bread.

We should hire a lawyer to seek damages because he forgot the grain.

Krispy said:

...and the blue represents prosperity.

...and the black represents slavery(jk, my niggas)

Its wolfen SS blue, connection perhaps?

Is it used in the wolfenstien secret levels, my memory is fuzzy.

^Maybe Tompig talked about blue as the color used as walls in MAP31 / on WolfSS uniforms, not that these banners in particular were used in secret levels. EDIT: Hmm, improbable.

joe-ilya said:

...and the black represents slavery(jk, my niggas)

Mmm digging the racism- keep it real Joe!

The circle represents the sky, and it has diamonds. Lucy in the sky with diamonds.