Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

How did Deimos just vanish from the sky?

As we know, shortly after the general malfunctions and killings as told in the "story so far", Deimos just vanished from the sky (our universe) and we find out at the conclusion of episode 2 that it floats above hell itself.

Initially I thought that hell's devils are powerful enough just to invade en masse and backstab/possess humanity real fast (until they settle down for a lone soldier to take them out). But are they THAT powerful to take worlds with them into hell (small as it is, we may still consider Deimos a world)? I wonder what else is captured in hell forever, besides that. Doom 3 shows a lot of floating rocks in hell, so apparently it can capture asteroids and similar bodies. What's the mystery: what mechanism does hell use to do that? And how hasn't Doomguy experienced one yet?

I associate it with Hell's presence warping reality and tearing holes in the fabric of time and space, not necessarily by the demon's own doing.

As much as I love Doom, it's stories (or the universe it takes place in) doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The story is something that can be written by an 8 year old.
It is therefore impossible for hell to capture worlds.

Evidence: Deimos is a spherical object but is depicted as a floating mass of rock.

My explanation: Hell didn't capture it, The demon's presence opened a huge hell gate between Deimos and mars and Doomguy jumped through it.

Problem: How the hell did he manage to jump down to Hell/Mars/Whatever when Deimos has it's own gravity?

Zulk-RS said:

Evidence: Deimos is a spherical object but is depicted as a floating mass of rock.

Actually it's too small to be a sphere; it's more like a potato. Maybe it further got shattered while coming to hell.

printz said:

Actually it's too small to be a sphere; it's more like a potato. Maybe it further got shattered while coming to hell.

Even if it did get shattered, I doubt it would look the way it did.

My question is why was Deimos pulled into hell in the first place? Why not Phobos as well? If I remember correctly from those crappy Doom novels, Deimos was sent into hyperspace and crashed into the Earth to initiate the invasion.

i thought that the overworld map was just a crater with some buildings in it, and the pic at the end of the episode was just the crater ripped out of the moon.

NoisyVelvet said:

i thought that the overworld map was just a crater with some buildings in it, and the pic at the end of the episode was just the crater ripped out of the moon.

That would make sense, but in the Doom instruction manual it states that Deimos vanished from the sky.

I got the impression that it wasn't deimos that floated over to hell but that hell moved itself under deimos so as to usurp it or something.

Jaxxoon R said:

The demons began mining its underside.

Interesting, maybe the demons are mining for construction material for the Tower of Babel?

printz said:

Deimos just vanished from the sky (our universe) and we find out at the conclusion of episode 2 that it floats above hell itself.

what mechanism does hell use to do that?

Interdimensional rift.

Piper Maru said:

My question is why was Deimos pulled into hell in the first place?

To inhabit it and take over its material, technological and energy resources, which was temporarily easier than a large scale invasion to our dimension. Hell constantly looks for more and more space and resources to reign over, all the time, and it took this opportunity of human teleporter experiments to find us and attack.

Piper Maru said:

Why not Phobos as well?

Limited hellish power. Hell needed to regain (or gain more) energy before creating another rift to capture another large object.

Piper Maru said:

My question is why was Deimos pulled into hell in the first place? Why not Phobos as well? If I remember correctly from those crappy Doom novels, Deimos was sent into hyperspace and crashed into the Earth to initiate the invasion.

Cuz phobos suuckss, no cacodemon no cyberass no nothing, good niiiiiight.

Ok, now seriously, IIRC Deimos was the first moon to be invaded by hell hordes, then, just like scifista stated, the evil forces decided to pull Deimos into hell to probably study what was that base and retrieve technology for various reasons (cyberdemon, uh?).
Phobos would suffer the same fate or be destroyed if it wasn't for the Doomguy who decided to drink some beers and kill every demon on that base.

obviously this is only my theory