Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DXBigBoss

Game process never truly closes when testing in Doom Builder 2 on Windows 7 64-bit

As the title implies, for some odd reason, even after closing the application after doing a test run on a map with Doom Builder 2, the process still lingers. It's becoming quite an annoyance too because I have to manually close for example "chocolate-doom.exe" EVERY TIME!

Potentially important note: I had switched from Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 32-bit, to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and for AWHILE Doom Builder 2 didn't give me any issues. I don't know whether it was after an update for Windows 7 or what that may have potentially started causing this issue.

Anyone else struggling with this issue too? Feel free to say whether you are, or if you have a solution or an idea. Thanks!

EDIT: This issue occurs in both 2.0.0 and 2.1.0

For Doombuilder2 you need to have these softwares installed:

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 (if you already have .Net Framework 4.0 or later installed, you'll
    still need to install 3.5 version, because newer versions are not backwards compatible with it!)

SlimDX (x86 version)

DirectX 9.0 Runtime, or above
The easiest way to install those is by running the Doombuilder 2.1.2.1553 installer.
After that, simply download the latest SVN versions from
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/

Nope, I made doubly sure that chocolate-doom had the ENDOOM screen disabled. Not a bad idea though for those whom HAVE forgotten to disable that feature!

I just installed Chocolate Doom, simply out of curiosity to see if I would have the same trouble.
Everything worked as it should, opens and closes properly.

Just a couple of ideas:
Over the years I aquired three versions of SlimDX

I seem to recall that the January 2012 version is the important one for DB2.

Another thing that sort of is in the back of my mind is that SVN versions of DB2 should not be run from Program Files.
But that may apply to some other program. Just a thought.

Visually, chocolate-doom closes. But did you try clicking the test game button again? I tried installing those versions of SlimDX you displayed in that little screenshot snippet thing right there, all of them installed fine but the March 2009 one, and even after installing them, the game engine decided to still remain residual in the Task Manager despite being closed.

EDIT: I've confirmed that this is a chocolate-doom exclusive bug. https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/408
I went on to #chocolate-doom on IRC in OFTC and they confirmed to me that this is a bug that was supposedly fixed, but wasn't.

The bug is fixed in a relatively recent git revision; it is not fixed in the previous release, so if you are using a release build and not a git revision, you'll still be having the issue.

The cause for it is it not calling SDL_Quit() properly, IIRC.

I'll go ahead and try that out, and report in if the git version doesn't have this issue on my end.

EDIT: Tried the git version chocolate-doom-2.1.0-95-g535b4ed-win32 and the issue still occurs.

Have you tried using Chocorenderlimits instead? If you're making vanilla maps it's a very handy test program. I use it all the time. Of course, since it's based on the Chocolate Doom source code, you may still have the same problem, but it's worth a shot. I wish you luck with this problem, cos it would drive me mad.

This should work out as a viable alternative for now. I should consider testing older versions of chocolate-doom when I can, that is, one's above 1.5.0 to make sure they don't have this problem, and whatever one is the last to have this problem. I'll report in on tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me of this one though!

EDIT: The last version of Chocolate-Doom to not have this issue is 1.7.0, which is directly before 2.0.0 even.

And this is why I never trust that feature and prefer to launch Doom from Explorer.

Oh no this is chocolate-doom 2.0.0 and 2.1.0 altogether, this actually had nothing to do with Doom Builder 2, at first I thought it did, but it was doing this when I would run it itself.