Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

MetroidJunkie said:

I heard John Romero say somewhere in an interview (I think it was in that co-op playthrough with IGN) that they toyed with the idea of having the Doom monsters just hate each other and that's why you can get them to infight so easily.

I only recall Barons/Knights hating Cacodemons. There was also something about getting those two groups to infight easier, although I haven’t noticed that.

^

Compared to vanilla, classic Boom-compatible ports remove restrictive static limits, and offer new features allowing much greater flexibility in mapping.

Compared to ZDoom, classic Boom-compatible ports maintain good demo compatibility.

PrBoom-plus allows easy demo recording and playback in various compatibility levels.

Yes, I know about demo compatibility, but I don’t use ‘em. Just not my port. I guess, this should go rather to confessions’ topic.

Krazov said:

I only recall Barons/Knights hating Cacodemons. There was also something about getting those two groups to infight easier, although I haven’t noticed that.

That would probably just be a lore thing, given all Doom monsters seem to in-fight each other just as willingly, including Barons fighting each other if you use the barrel method. The only exception is Pain Elementals and Archviles which are never targeted by other monsters, the former because it isn't the Pain Elemental directly attacking but, rather, the Lost Souls and, for the latter, I assume Doom monsters simply know better than to attack their white mage. XD

Marnetmar said:

Corpses are used to mark the secret computer doors in E1M3

I never thought about that.

MetroidJunkie said:

I heard John Romero say somewhere in an interview (I think it was in that co-op playthrough with IGN) that they toyed with the idea of having the Doom monsters just hate each other and that's why you can get them to infight so easily.

I don't recall where or when John Romero said it, but he said something along the lines of the demons being chaotic evil.

American McGee apparently didn't know how doors work: the doors in Doom 2 maps 02, 05, 14, and 22 all have unnecessary linedef and sector tags, while the unlocked doors in maps 03, 04, and 06 are actually switches (the locked doors again have unnecessary tags). Oddly enough the doors in his two Thy Flesh Consumed maps are fine.

If he hadn't known how doors work, his levels would have been broken. He just erred on the side of caution, is all.

NiGHTMARE said:

American McGee apparently didn't know how doors work: [...] Oddly enough the doors in his two Thy Flesh Consumed maps are fine.

He learned it / somebody pointed it out for him between the times he was working on Doom 2 and on Thy Flesh Consumed (which was made after Doom 2).

Never_Again said:

If he hadn't known how doors work, his levels would have been broken. He just erred on the side of caution, is all.

Okay, if you want to be pedantic: American McGee didn't fully understand how doors work.

NiGHTMARE said:

the doors in Doom 2 maps 02, 05, 14, and 22 all have unnecessary linedef and sector tags

Heh, yes, as I have noted previously, it led to an unforeseen consequence for Boom/MBF's manual door light extension.

joe-ilya said:

E1M3 introduces the pinky and the spectre by placing each on each side at the start.

On Hurt Me Plenty, the Spectre is introduced on E1M5 in a bright area before the player confronts them in a dark area.

Chex quest 1 has the graphic "WISUCKS" and it literally says sucks, that graphic will appear only after being an hour in a map and then exiting the level for the intermission to spell under your time "sucks" written in the slimey chex font.

Not to mention it has the entire ultimate doom in it which boosts up the whole wad's file size. And those pictures have all that bloody stuff like those E3 ending graphics with daisy's head on a spike.

I'm saying this because this game is aimed towards kids.

Doom E3M4

I finally figured out why the doors in that room with the two pillars that have switches on all four sides would randomly close (especially when I never hit the switches to close those doors). For the longest time I thought the doors were closing because I was stepping on some line that makes the door close, although I opened E3M4 in Doom Builder and saw no such lines.

Then it happened today and I realized the doors were closing (that take you to the Red Key and the Red Door) was because the other sides of those doors (that you can't get to without cheating) are DR lines (also monsters), so the monsters were closing those doors every time they walked up to them.

@riderr3: Texture widths must be a power of two, otherwise they easily appear glitched out.

Even more in modern games. The DXTC formats family (*.dds) contains Mip-Map stages which rely on being able to reduce the dimensions by 2 several times. It doesn't need to be square, just powers of 2 in both directions.

MetroidJunkie said:

I always found it funny how literally the only change between gun animation and punch animation is the gun doesn't muzzle flash. As if he's, in actuality, bunting demons with his rifle.

I have a hunch that this is why the fist was instead a bayonet in the Alpha versions. At that point in development, they seemed to be slightly more focused on realism. I'm glad they ended up saying "fuck it" and giving the doomguy a fist, it's far more memorable to beat demons to death with your bare hands.

GoatLord said:

This is supposed to be more than a century in the future, if Doom 3 is considered canon. There's no way we wouldn't have that sort of tech by then. I'm not sure if it would be as simple as "You're 88% not dead," but I could see a future where either visors or wetware utilize a HUD that gives you a general idea of your physical state.

I agree, especially because we already have things like heart monitors, brain scanners, etc.. When we get to the point where those devices are the size of a wrist watch and cost a dime a dozen, they will almost certainly be equipped in space suits and other military gear. It's very beneficial to know exactly whats wrong rather than just "gee, I feel bad".. I'm baffled that anyone disagrees with this prediction.

In the real world, though, health is not really reducible to a single value.

(Well, actually it is, but that's a value in dollars.)