Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

Ultimate Doom demos [-complevel 3]

Since we have ports that can include M8 times it may seem weird now not to include them but considering what was done in the past for competn it would be ridiculous to just change the categories.

Well if you're using a port to make the run, then compet-n isn't really relevant at that point. Also, if a run is 1s faster from 1-7, but loses 50 seconds on 8, can you really consider that a record? Why not just stop the run at map 7 if you're not gonna even include the map 8 time? 1-8 makes sense to me personally, but that's just my opinion.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Well if you're using a port to make the run, then compet-n isn't really relevant at that point. Also, if a run is 1s faster from 1-7, but loses 50 seconds on 8, can you really consider that a record? Why not just stop the run at map 7 if you're not gonna even include the map 8 time? 1-8 makes sense to me personally, but that's just my opinion.

Good point.

Going by competn rules, yes it's the record even if you lose 50 seconds on 8. Also cndoom/chocolate etc can all play vanilla demos. It's not like you're using gzdoom or something of that nature.

Dime said:

Going by competn rules, yes it's the record even if you lose 50 seconds on 8.

Man, compet-n is wierd.

Akse said:

Man, compet-n is wierd.

Not really, it's just an odd thing that happened for doom 1 speedrunning because you couldn't determine the final M8 time in your demo as far as i'm aware.

Yeah but for cndoom/chocolate its still not cn. Doesn't matter if it can play vanilla demos or not, really.

Also, for the sake of argument, gzdoom doesnt display m8 times either :p

If you want a personal answer then, I became interested in speedrunning due to watching some of the competn runners. Naturally, im probably more inclined to want to compare my times with those ones.

Sometimes i get the feeling, that i'm the only one who was inspired by TAS speedruns (demos/movies).

I'd say that runners should still be consistent with Compet-n records. It will be strange for me to run Episode 3, lose 10 seconds to Kimo_xvirus's run, win 20 seconds on E3M8 because I got BFG along the way, and submit it as a record. However, as now we know m8 time, it's better to include it in a run. The best thing for a record is probably to beat both m1-m7 time and total time.

It makes sense if you want to compare your time with compet-n times to use the same rules, but for noncompet-n wads (2002ado, dtwid, favabeans, etc) I don't see any reason to exclude boss maps.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Episode 1 UV Tyson Movie in 40:16

E1M3 0:48. You can kill this guy on your trip back from yellow key area. Why not?

Cyberdemon531 said:

I went up there for health, usually I would do it on the way back, but I got nervous due to the 2% survival earlier.

I understand. Nice demo anyway. You should try to TAS it or else i'll do)

Cyberdemon531 said:

I'd like to see a TAS of Episode 4 Tyson for sure, if you'd be up for something like that.

Episode 4? Unlikely, but who knows. I do Tyson only because of the chainsaw action.

jmickle66666666 said:

e4m4 nomonsters in 00:36
recorded with prboom+

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8943931/lmp/e4m4nomo0036.lmp

Made as part of the beat cyberdemon's demos week. My movement could still be improved but I don't think that could knock an entire second off (its 0:36.97 or something), however it is still missing the unguided glide through the exit bars.

This map has already been done in 34, by adam hegyi (on p-dang).
I beat his time by centiseconds and think someone could probably get a 33; I'm going to try to anyway.

While making attempts at UV-Tyson episode 2 runs, I started hating this level so much that it overflowed and now I think I enjoy it.

E2M1 Tyson in 4:20

t2m1-420.zip

Cyberdemon531 said:

Damn, everything went nearly perfect. Awesome.

I had actually completed a run in 4:43 a few hours earlier, but I fired the shotgun when my pistol ran out of bullets on the final imp. I cursed that damn imp for a whole 30 mins. But all things considered, I'm glad it happened, because I would had just stopped trying, since I would be pretty happy with that time. Never expected to improve it by so much. Thank the rng gods.