Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Looking for a specific game

I used to play a game way back on PC. Then it got destroyed. I still remember many details of the game. Unfortunately it's name isn't one of those details.
I was hoping if anyone can find the name for me. I searched the internet but I didn't have much luck. What I remember is...

1. It was ported to or released for the PC at some point.

2. You can play either as a male or female protagonist.

3. You have metal armor on and your starting weapon is a sword.

4. You have a chalk that you use to draw an arrow on the floor.
This chalk can be used about 40-80 times.

5. It was very violent and gory with a number of different player deaths.

6. It had 3D graphics similar to that of Tomb Raider (The Playstation 1 version)

7. A level selection screen was accessible either normally or with the help of cheats (probably normally).

8. It was an action game. It may or may not have been a platformer.

9. Enemies included:
-Giant Spiders
-Orcs?
-Half snake half lady things
-Skeletons
-Goblins?

10. It was not:
-A JRPG
-A RTS
-A SRPG
-A FPS

Help appreciated!

Sounds a little like Nightmare Creatures. But I'm not sure, I didn't play it that much, and it was long ago.

Sorry, It wasn't Nightmare creatures or Blade of Darkness.
I know this because if I can see a screenshot, I'd recognize it.

Also you can equip/ unequip your sword.
And there were traps like spiked floors and stuff.
Oh and standing under a door while closing it will kill you.

Die by the sword 1998 ;
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/die-by-the-sword/screenshots

vagrant story 2000 ;
http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/vagrant-story/screenshots

Rune 2001 ;
http://www.mobygames.com/game/rune/screenshots

I really cant wrap my head around the arrow drawing part.

Avoozl said:

Could it have maybe been Severance: Blade of Darkness?

Sadly my discs are broken for this game, it was damn nice. Chop of an enemy his arms, pick them, go to another enemy and beat him with the arms. lol.

FireFish said:
I really cant wrap my head around the arrow drawing part.

It has an item/weapon menu similar to that of Heretic. You can
equip/unequip your sword during your game using this menu. It also has the chalk. By using the chalk, your character draws an arrow on the floor pointing to the direction he/she is facing. This can be done 40-80 times.

You select your protagonist form the options/settings button on the main menu.

EDIT: It wasn't any of the games you mentioned. Sorry

Avoozl said:

Could it have maybe been Severance: Blade of Darkness?

There's no chalk in Blade of Darkness or half-snake lady things. Also I don't think Blade was a port and was PC only. What a great hack and slash game tho. Played it through twice and I can't say that for many games. Thankfully I still have my copy right here.

Last time I saw a half-snake lady thing was in Arx Fatalis. That's not the game I don't think. Don't recall any chalk in there. That chalk arrow thing should be what gives it away.

WildWeasel said:

This sounds like Deathtrap Dungeon.

I googled images for Deathtrap Dungeon. It's the one! This is waht I played when I was 6...
Now I'm wondering why I had such a game on the PC when I was 6.
The only games I saw my parents play were Solitaire and House of the Dead.
Whoever bought it probably didn't know how violent it was.

Now...
Does anyone know if it was a port or PC only?

Doominator2 said:

Wait is this the Ian Livingston game?

According to the Wikipedia article linked by DMGUYDZ64 it is indeed a game based off of the Ian Livingston adventure gamebook by the same name.

Coincidentally, I was looking through my old PSX games and noticed on the back of my tomb raider case that their was an advertisement for the game.

Da Werecat said:

Sounds a little like Nightmare Creatures. But I'm not sure, I didn't play it that much, and it was long ago.

Woah, remember that game. Maybe you can help me find one that escapes me?

I remember long ago that it was a demo on one of those playstation 1 demo discs, so the actual game could vary from what I remember. It was 3D, the protagonist was a ninja of sorts and the camera view was third person from a good ways behind the ninja and slightly above him, so that if you kept moving in a direction, the camera would be lined up with the ninja somewhere close to the center of the screen. It was a bit of an odd view from what I remember. Certainly nothing I had seen before at the time.

The demo level was dark, with a black fog of war that dissipated around the player. Pretty much the fog effect of SH1 but black. You fought other ninjas and maybe other shit, my memory is hazy, but I do remember the level containing bottomless pits that you yourself and enemies could fall into. I don't remember any dialogue but I remember plenty of sounds, the level was during a thunderstorm. I now this sounds ambiguous as shit but I figured it was worth a shot.

Platinum Shell said:

Woah, remember that game. Maybe you can help me find one that escapes me?

I remember long ago that it was a demo on one of those playstation 1 demo discs, so the actual game could vary from what I remember. It was 3D, the protagonist was a ninja of sorts and the camera view was third person from a good ways behind the ninja and slightly above him, so that if you kept moving in a direction, the camera would be lined up with the ninja somewhere close to the center of the screen. It was a bit of an odd view from what I remember. Certainly nothing I had seen before at the time.

The demo level was dark, with a black fog of war that dissipated around the player. Pretty much the fog effect of SH1 but black. You fought other ninjas and maybe other shit, my memory is hazy, but I do remember the level containing bottomless pits that you yourself and enemies could fall into. I don't remember any dialogue but I remember plenty of sounds, the level was during a thunderstorm. I now this sounds ambiguous as shit but I figured it was worth a shot.

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins?

BaronOfStuff said:

Ah, so it did have blue bottles that looked a bit like the ones from Doom! I was going to include remembering those bottles, but I always though it was an early memory of Doom's bottles bleeding over into the memory of that game. Thanks man!

Okay, I got the PC version of the game and compared it with game-play videos of the PS1 version. I'd have to say that it was one of the lower selling PS1 games for a reason. THIS GAME IS A PIECE OF CRAP.
But the PC version is a lot better though. It suffers mainly due to bad camera angles, an unbalanced combat system and overall bad-to-look-at-ness. But It's still playable and I think It could've been one of the best games out there if a lot more effort was put in to making it. It is however a ton of fun to completely fool around with cheats and do stuff for no reason in the game.

As for this thread, I think it's a good idea to have a 'Looking for a specific game' thread. But that's just my opinion.

P.S: Just out of curiosity, is it possible for me to close a thread I started? If so, then how?

Zulk-RS said:

P.S: Just out of curiosity, is it possible for me to close a thread I started? If so, then how?

Look at the bottom right corner of this page. You can see Admin Options. Select "Open / Close Thread" and "go".

This thread reminded me of a pretty awesome PS1 game series that involved strategically placing death traps to defeat enemies. Took me about an hour to find it...