Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

High resolution sprites

For the past few weeks I worked on his hair and test many rander types. So that's how he look for now:

Doomguy's haircut is the one of the strangest part of modeling, because original frames exclude each other - one time they show with typical military buzz cut, at other times his hair seems to be longer. So I went to compromise and did something you see above. This one still needs some work, so doesn't treat this as a final version.

Agreed. It's damn near perfect. As to his inconsistent hair, I suspect that he is supposed to have a somewhat longish flat top that he normally keeps nice and groomed, but as things get sticky, his hair gets ruffled and is no longer standing straight.

Well, doomguy's haircut is known to be somewhat of a mystery.

Also, no HD Doom face is complete without an implementation of the infamous Doomguy rapeface:

Reinchard said:

I'm still working on it and inh meantime I'm fixed few things. Here's current version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srHOBuwUP0&feature=youtu.be

Not bad at all, actually! Though something should probably be done to make their feet appear to be on the floor. Right now it looks like they're floating.

This goes to show how sprites can still more real looking that their polygon counterparts.

Sprite more real than--? Dude, that is literally a picture of a 3D model.

The thing is GZDoom has worse-than-Quake-2 model support, so they all look like ass.

At least a 3D model would look like it is actually a part of the environment.

valhallaist said:

This goes to show how sprites can still more real looking that their polygon counterparts.

To be more precise, how a technically practical sprite can look better than a technically practical 3D model -no modern 3D hardware could really handle rendering NUTS.WAD with actual 3D models, not even much simpler ones.

Where sprites fall flat on their face however is in the high memory usage (2x resolution in either direction -> 4 times the memory), and the impossibility to perform practical geometric transformations on them in real time. So it would not be practical to render NUTS.WAD with hi-resolution sprites either, as the memory bandwidth required would be just too high.

You want to rotate a 3D model, no matter how complex? Simple, you tell the 3D hardware (or software renderer) to simply render it at a different angle. Memory cost: neglibible. Computational cost: the same as rendering it normally.

With sprites, you need to precalculate extra rotations, which eat up a lot of memory and will never be as smooth as a proper 3D rotation.

And when it comes to animation....after skeleton animation a-la Half-Life became the norm, 3D models also gained the ability to have practically infinite combinations of rotations + poses, while storing only very little mesh/animation keypoint data.

Sprites and prerendered scenes in general still have a niche on hardware that's good at throwing pixels on the screen but does not support 3D acceleration, or can give prettier/more consistent results than what is practical on real hardware (e.g. real-time ray tracing is still a dream, for the most part).

But it's a fact that even the best-looking games from the 90s with prerendered 3D graphics, would be blown out of the water by what modern 3D games can do in real time. Hell, the Nature scenes in 3DMark2000/2001 looked better than what Myst did just 5 years before!

Jaxxoon R said:

The thing is GZDoom has worse-than-Quake-2 model support, so they all look like ass.

It'd be nice if GZDoom at least allowed 3D models to react to dynamic lights just as the environment does rather than just being stuck to sector lighting. Graf's objection to adding more seems to be that it will no longer resemble Doom but it's not like true color, dynamic lights, or 3D models are very Classic Doom esque anyway so I see no reason not to push even further, especially since the more recent 2.x GZDoom requires a higher level of OpenGL anyway.

I made a few changes here and there, so tell me what you think about that one:

This time without hair - just removed it for test renders.

His ears, poked-out cheeks, and square top of the head are (a little) laughable, otherwise he's great.

Maybe try making Doomguy look a little more pissed off? He's more badass than this friendly man you've made. It looks good though you are doing great stuff here.

RocknRoll420 said:

friendly man

He doesn't really look "friendly", he's more like a tranquil fury ready to erupt. Doomguy's actual status bar face, at least with health > 80%, actually looks much more relaxed and blasé.

See also: Doomguy: the Ultimate Battle Butler?

I was looking at the monitor at a funny angle and your HD Doomguy reminded me of Til Schweiger, German actor (i.e. “Inglourious Basterds”). Vaguely but yet.

scifista42 said:

Too bad that the OP screenshots don't display to me.

They got lost during some webspace clearing...I gotta find them and refresh the links :-/

I try give him more relax look. Take a look at this two versions:

Personaly I prefere previous one.

EDIT:
or maybe something that way:

Reinchard said:

Tell me which one has better fit for first frame

My first impression is: the second one.

Ok, today I make first ingame test.
Here's first 3 frames:

And ingame screen:

As you can see I use 192x240 size which is 4x bigger then original ones and I think this is optimum for hud face. Faces are squashed like original. I use this time more saturated colors in render lights, so face have more yellowish tint, but not that strong like original frames have, so I show you another variation:

stfkill0 is done:

At the same time I'm working on new status bar and fonts, so this one here are placeholders. Next frames are on the way.

Heh, thankfully (?) the rapeface doesn't look so creepy with this one. It has a more comical effect, like a big strain.

However, it seems you stumbled upon the eternal Doomguy's haircut problem. Is it a buzzcut? Is it a weird Hitler-like tupee? Is it a Mr. Spock haircut? What is it?

In your face pictures, the hair has pretty inconsistent appearance. Not trying to be disgusting, but sometimes it looks like a very thin, baby-like fuzz, sometimes like a very close, velvety buzzcut, sometimes it looks like an epiled pube. Especially in the more heavily damaged pics, he looks like he has some sort of disgusting fetal membrane covering his head, while in the healthy pics he looks almost balding/alopecic, like a badly plucked chicken.

I think the rapeface was a mixture of the shocked-face eyes and the new-weapon smile, which hasn't been made yet.

Reinchard: I like the latest image, but for the last row, where he's all bloody, I think his expression should look less intense and more exasperated. That's what I see in the original sprites, anyway.