Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

if DOOM were base/tech/city/space only

do you think this would be a good or bad thing?
would it have an effect on gaming?

i'm curious about opinions on this. as you know many games like counterstrike, quake 2 and 4 were tech only. no hell element.

Graf Zahl said:

I think it'd be better because Hell-themed maps that actually look decent are very rare.

Most of new players dislike this kind of maps , And current players will not last forever =P

My favourite maps are the fantasy ones. Even Doom 3 and ROE have such a few places, and I like them best. If Doom were only sci-fi without fantasy, it would still have interesting alien worlds, similar to the final Strife level, I imagine, so it wouldn't be bad.

But if it were all techbases with cheap modern technology, I'd be bored. I don't want such realism in my Doom pastime.

If the hellish element was removed from Doom it would definitely be a bad thing. There would be no monsters for one thing.

purist said:

If the hellish element was removed from Doom it would definitely be a bad thing. There would be no monsters for one thing.

Basically if it was removed, The storyline of the game will make no sense at all (The episode where you get teleported to "Deimos" at least).

It would be a bad thing, because it would be boring. Doom's plot benefits from the concept of Hell, it adds both variety and cool factor. Doom 3 had less Hellish elements than classic Doom, and I thought it made the game more generic than it could have been, and was one of the reasons why the game didn't turn out so great for me. The majority of Doom 3 took place in techbase corridors, and I missed a more distinct presence of Hell or directly Hellish locations, that would spice up the game more than just demonic enemies themselves.

The plot of the game wouldn't really feel like it has a purpose. Like the marine is just a tourist visiting different parts of the planet to kill whats there and whatever.

The mission is to follow hell to its source and destroy it.

Even though E3 in Doom isn't all that great, I consider myself to be pretty lucky that an entire episode is the journey through hell, unlike some games where the plot is fighting some kinda alien infection, and the scenery totally changes at about the last couple levels.

Totally agree with 40oz - it's great that Doom has a full episode dedicated to the Hellish location, instead of a mere "supposedly epic" finale. It gives more personality to the game when it's varied, and helps to keep the immersion for a longer time. I couldn't express the idea better than I did, but I simply feel that the principle (full thematized episode > short thematized finale) is right.

Bad. The hell-themed parts were the most interesting setting and were a big part of what gave Doom its personality. There have been lots of tech/industrial sort of settings in games before and since, but it's rare to see hell places in other games that aren't just a reiteration of "red devils and fire", especially in early games.

i am a fan of the hellish variety - it is my favorite theme.

good hell maps: AV, Plutonia 2, WoS, SoD, Vulcana 2, SL (Shai'tan's Luck), DV and MUCH MORE.

i honestly think we need to give more credit to the hell theme in DOOM.

The idea for this thread actually came up from April Agitation. Only 3 hell maps really made it in the Evil Eight, and only 1 in the Fiendish Four. I agree that the vast majority of IWAD hell maps weren't especially good and this saddens me as a really good hell map IMO is much more enjoyable than a tech map.

I mean other games like Borderlands, Bioshock are great games. The environment is the same though and that can get dull. The change in monsters and scenery in DOOM makes it great.

Three episodes of only tech bases would get pretty repetitive very quick. The theme of the mars base being slowly consumed by Hell (Episode 2) and the final descent into Hell itself (Episode 3) is the very reason the classic Doom games are so damn epic. You're fighting demons from Hell and then travelling there in person to blow them all the fuck up. It's glorious, it's beautiful, and (sorry DMGUYDZ64) it simply wouldn't be the same game without it. Doom needs at least a third of the game dedicated to Hell themed maps or else things get a little stale (see Doom 3.)

Enjoy Lunatic and Valiant E5 in the meantime. Each of them was a short episode that knew to end soon-enough before getting dragging.

scifista42 said:

Enjoy Lunatic and Valiant E5 in the meantime. Each of them was a short episode that knew to end soon-enough before getting dragging.

It could be coupled with an alien planet theme. I'd prefer a purply/green/orange theme vs the christmas hell colors (red and green) that often gets used.

...It'd be the first episode of Back to Saturn X.

I think at a minimum, the loss of visual and thematic variety would require a larger and more varied team of level designers than vanilla Doom just to keep the map design and gameplay interesting.

Piper Maru said:

What if Doom was a musical? I think it would be most delightful.

What if music was a Doom all along?

Pure Hellspawn said:

The idea for this thread actually came up from April Agitation. Only 3 hell maps really made it in the Evil Eight, and only 1 in the Fiendish Four.

And the winning map has a Hell section right in its center.