Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Best free games under 10MB?

Are there any great fun free games with small download size, 10 MB being an upper limit, which you can recommend, please?

Preferred genres: Action platformer, 2D or 3D shooter (not rail shooter), logic (actual logic, nothing like match-3). Playability > graphics.

I've read this thread. Jetpack is awesome, I've played it on DOS since my childhood, going crazy with the level editor. I've tried Canabalt, it was OK and fancy looking, but too basic in gameplay.

Tower of Heaven
Wanted to recommend Eversion but it's 11MB D:

Both are platformers with very artistic graphics that try to do something a little inventive.

Dwarf Fortress is about 8 MBs to download. Kind of a city-builder/rougelike game with absurd depth and detail.

Classic Spelunky is still available, that's 9.5MB

RGB Classics has some good selections mostly of the DOS era. Off the top of my head, especially check out Bio Menace, the Clyde games (these have an unusual game design but might appeal to you if you like platform games and puzzles) and Kye (which has a few modernized variations like Python Kye and Xye that you can find elsewhere, as I recall). Xargon might also be worth a look but it has some issues (like sucky bosses).

Also, Overkill and Major Stryker are competing EGA shooters from Epic and Apogee respectively, and while neither is spectacular they're both OK.

I recall Diabolika 2 being good too in the puzzle/logic department, but although I recall it being freeware (and at least some pages seem to back me up on that) I don't readily see a non-dodgy download site for it so I'll leave it for you to hunt down yourself.

Edit: my teenage self was also a fan of XEvil. Part of that may have been because it was controversial, but as I recall it was actually fun, too.

Tower of Heaven was good. I've played Eversion before, it's good as well. Neither God of Thunder, nor Dwarf Fortress appealed to me; I prefer games that give me more compacted challenge and fun, rather than endless locations to explore for I don't know what.

Apparently Tyrian 2000 (17 MB) is free now. Definitely try it if you haven't already. The music is fantastic.

Memfis said:

Apparently Tyrian 2000 (17 MB) is free now. Definitely try it if you haven't already. The music is fantastic.

Ya I was going to recommend this but didn't because its over 10mb, but really, like Memfis said you should really try it if you haven't, one of the best vertical scrolling space shooters I've played for pc, also, its automatically in your library if you've registered to gog.

The Geezer Advnture: Episode 1 by Piece of Pie Software.

All of the Geezer Adventure games if we go beyond the 10MB limit.

I really recommend this game, i used to play this like a madman. it uses user defined seeds to generate small differences in the game like your ship.

Invaders corruption 10.8 mb download size ;
http://invaders.manuelvandyck.com/

This one i have played and it was decent, this site is the first one i found to contain the original small version.

An old version of neo sonic universe 7.8 mb download size ;
http://freeware-game-downloads.com/game.php?id=52

Minesweeper is a cool simple mental exercise but I don't like how usually sooner or later you have no other option but to take a lucky guess. Is there a version with no luck needed?

nethack popping up a few times here - as a complete addict I would recommend not playing it locally, but instead over telnet at https://alt.org/nethack/. For windows, PuTTY is the client du jour (just make sure you configure PuTTY for cp437 and once in-game configure your options for IBM Graphics). So, technically nethack can be 0MB ;-)

23 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

Any reason why 10mb?

Because it's a thread about games under 10MB  ;-D

There's another thread about small games whatever it means (under 100GB ?)

Soldexus

If you like Metroidvania style games and don't mind a challenge, this is actually a fairly good game. The graphics are nothing to write home about, but the gameplay is certainly there.