Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem IV: The preemptive thread

Hey people, its that time of year again! When folks throw their browned Christmas trees to the curb, Wal-mart starts putting up their Christmas decorations, and the pre-emptive MAYhem thread is posted: must be the middle of April!

In this years follow up to 2014s surprisingly lauded MAYhem2048, there are some big-gish plans. What is lacking is a texture set.

This is where you come in.

Please suggest some texture sets. Let them be mainstays, let them be obscure but pretty cool, throw something together yourself. Just post them with a blurb about why they are a good idea. In the last week of April, I will run a poll. The best choice will be the designated texture pack for MAYhem15.wad

kthnxbai

gothictx.

It's an awesome texture set, and no one uses it anymore, so it'll seem fresh.

Gothic DM textures - recently some ppl said that they want to see a Gothic style megawad
Icarus - also very underused (maybe for good reasons but whatever)
Btsx - so we can have btsx3 before btsx3
DARKENING 2

Memfis said:

Btsx - so we can have btsx3 before btsx3

Oh Memfis you so silly

I don't think we're able to use BTSX resources, but it would be cool if we could ;)

Anyways, GothicDM (+ gothic2 textures?) or Darkening 2 would be good texture sets to use.

EDIT: Requiem textures would be another suggestion.

Marcaek's FIREBLU Extravaganza!

No? Aww, oh well. Personally I reckon something using Doom64 or Quake textures would be interesting.

I just hope there won't be any weird rules this time. I wanna see a normal community megawad.

Memfis said:

I just hope there won't be any weird rules this time. I wanna see a normal community megawad.

I'm fine with it either way, although I would prefer it having no rules and it being a normal wad.

UAC Ultra Or BTSX would be a a few good ones. I'm Definitely gonna make a map for this year's MAYhem (If I'm able to).

jmickle66666666 said:

another vote for an nmn corp texture pack

This. I've been wanting to use these texture packs for a while now (and even started to at one point before I wound up not mapping all over again). Unfortunately, it'd probably just with me saying I'll join in and then not joining in for what, the third consecutive year?

But I'll try!

Memfis said:

*sweats profusely*

TheMionicDonut said:

*sweats profusely*

What do you have up your sleeves, Donut?

EDIT: for those that want BTSX:

<AD_79> essel would mayhem be able to use btsx resources :v
<esselfortium> AD_79: no, sry
<AD_79> thought so, heh
<AD_79> well, darkening 2 tex is my vote then
<esselfortium> after e3 is out (i.e. never) there'll be a public resource release though

So, I'm thinking the actual mayhem 2048 should be able to use it!

Gothic, definitely. It's a beautiful texture set and the time is right for a GothicSP. Maybe even combine GothicDM textures with Eternal Doom and select Demon Eclipse textures.

Yeah I think I mentioned texture use in [the doomluminati secret clubhouse] earlier and knew that BTSX textures weren't on the table yet.

Whats up my sleeve? Nothing too bad actually.
Gotta write a first draft of a thesis and prepare for a Marathon by the beginning of MAY. The last thing I want is to implement a half ASSed complex ruleset that I will inevitably have to spend more time dissecting.

That comes next year :)

Gothic feels pretty played out at this point IMO. I though that was hot shit 5 years ago, but after constant exposure to Doom mods, I realize just how overused it is now. I'd like to see a lesser-known pack (or combination thereof) be used. NMN, pieces of Koul textures (honestly I just remember it for the eyeball door, but still),etc. They're solid packs that don't get ANY love which is kind of sad because there's some high quality stuff to be found there.

Overused? It's never been used as the backbone of a single player map set of significant length. Until that happens it will never be overused.

Woolie Wool said:

Overused? It's never been used as the backbone of a single player map set of significant length.

Newgothic movement 1. :P

You can use textures from Soulcrusher which has combined Nmncorp1, Nmncorp2 and the never released Nmncorp3 (along with some Soulcrusher exclusive textures that you can also use) as the resources are free to use (all of them, as per an agreement with Nmn from back then). I made a special version of it for here, I converted all the PNG textures to the doom palette and removed skybox/other oversized stuff.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvnzgdezbwpibeu/SCTexA.wad

Note: You need to make your own TEXTURE1/PNAMES if you are going to use it, because I have no clue how to do that stuff also I would rather it not mess with possible resources in whatever the resource wad will be here.

If you want a texture .wad that no-one has used before (at least not to my knowledge), there's this. I've added quite a bit to it since then, and plan to upload a new version very soon.

Woolie Wool said:

Overused? It's never been used as the backbone of a single player map set of significant length. Until that happens it will never be overused.

The Gothic textures were used quite extensively in Caverns of Darkness, along with a bunch of Roger Ritenour textures and a few of my own.

A honorary mention should also go to Crusades. I believe only the first level made use of them, but it may be the only Doom 1 level (SP or DM) that does.