Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Preferred and tolerated game inputs

Just as a matter of curiosity, how many of you out there don't mind playing PC games console-style from time to time with a gamepad? I've been finding myself doing it quite a bit more, especially since I dug out my old original Xbox controller that I soldered a normal USB end to (I don't have much use for my actual Xbox, and I didn't feel like paying money for an adapter).

I always play games with a gamepad, which I find to be much more comfortable.
I only play on a keyboard if necessary, say for Doom or TF2.

I've had to put up with a lot of controls. I'm lefty with a mouse, so I need to adjust things. Platformers need 360 controllers. Unreal engine games need controllers, even if FPS have traditionally used mouse and keyboard. Its like Unreal engine games are so slow in terms of movement that it feels okay for a controller.

Some games force you to use a keyboard, but then there's joy2key that lets you controller any keyboard input.

Speedy FPS like TF2 need mouse and keyboard. FTL needs a mouse and keyboard.

A lot of tycoon games now a days are forgetting keyboard controls and rely only on mouse clicks.

It really varies from game to game. Only obvious genres that are far more convenient with a keyboard/mouse (strategy, FPS- latter may be personal preference) are the only ones that are consistent. Platformers and beat-em-up are especially prone to this.

I can't stand using a controller for PC games, and so I always rely on a mouse+keyboard scheme. The only exception is when I play emulators, or fighting games. In that case, it's almost always a PS2 or Sega Saturn controller. XBox controllers can suck my ass.

I use a keyboard + mouse for FPS, Logitech Xinput controller for every other genre if I'm playing them for any longer than a few minutes, and keyboard if I'm doing quick mod tests.

Not all fighting games were made with controller in mind, Jade Empire for one example works with the mouse and keyboard very well, another is DB Xenoverse which works well with mouse and keyboard. Even the Batman Arkham games work with a mouse and keyboard quite well.

youre right, i guess its just how i got used to them, i originally played fighting games on console only, and only later started looking for pc fighting games when i got into one of the melty blood series

Avoozl said:

Not all fighting games were made with controller in mind, Jade Empire for one example works with the mouse and keyboard very well, another is DB Xenoverse which works well with mouse and keyboard. Even the Batman Arkham games work with a mouse and keyboard quite well.

By "fighting games", are you referring to any type of game where you go hand-to-hand with opponents? Whenever I hear the term "fighting game", I think of the 1-on-1 games like Fatal Fury, Guilty Gear, or Soul Caliber. Those are the ones I still use controllers to play. Beat-em-ups and other fighting-oriented games still get played using a keyboard+mouse by me.

For racing games it would be a Playstation controller its joysticks, on PC the T-mini USB and PS2 controller provided me with a lot of fun.

For games like devil may cry a controller seems to be a must.

For first persons PC shooters a mouse and keyboard seems to be the only logical and fun control scheme. On consoles most FPS games play like heaven with a controller, probably because the developers made sure they do.

For fighting games i prefer a keyboard, and i know others that do to. The speed and ease with which you can enter the commands is unrivaled for my preferences. (as long as the game its input logic functions well.) (guilty gear, mortal kombat, etc...)

azerty ; Q,S,D,W,X,C, qwerty ;
A,S,D for the punching.
Z,X,C for the kicking
Q,W if here are two extra buttons.

And the arrow keys to move around (U,D,L,R)

For FPS games, definitely gotta use mouse/keyboard. Barring that, the Wiimote is a reasonable substitute, and I'll only use a gamepad as a last resort, or if I need an extra challenge (Doom on 360, for instance, kinda reminds me of when I first started playing Doom, and the change is welcome seeing as how I've played it so long). For platformers, fighting games, etc., though, gotta use a gamepad. I have an adapter so I can use my wireless 360 controller with my PC, and it's totally worth it (especially since my PC is hooked up to my TV, so I can sit back on my couch and play Skyrim or Binding of Isaac - oh yeah, Skyrim is my one exception, because it's very long and it works well with gamepads, so playing it from the couch is preferable).

For FPS/3PS, mouse/keys. For everything else, I'm using a Dual Shock 4.

Actually, I find myself resorting to controllers more and more these days, given how many games out there have really laggy mouse input, regardless of performance (GTAV I'm looking at you).

Fighting games are easy to play with keyboard, M.U.G.E.N for example is very to play with a keyboard, heck most of fighting games i have on PC are easy to play with keyboard.
And for FPS games i only use the mouse to aim and look around, other than that most of time i play with keyboard+mouse for aim and look.
But i'm very experienced with that style.

J.B.R said:

Fighting games are easy to play with keyboard, M.U.G.E.N for example is very to play with a keyboard, heck most of fighting games i have on PC are easy to play with keyboard.
And for FPS games i only use the mouse to aim and look around, other than that most of time i play with keyboard+mouse for aim and look.
But i'm very experienced with that style.

I remember MK4 on PC and I'm not sure if I rebound the keys to A S D F G, but that's what I used. It was super easy. Racing games too with arrow keys makes it easy as well.

I play doom on the gamepad so much that wasd + mouse feels really awkward to me.

Really depends on the genre/game itself. I'd actually say I prefer using a controller for the majority of games I play.

RTS is nearly unplayable with a controller. FPSes are better with mouse and keyboard, but I can play them on consoles as long as they have decent/customizable controls. Third person shooters are a mixed bag, but if it came from a console originally and has platforming, it'll usually feel better with a controller. GTA with mouse and keyboard controls felt so wrong, and so does any driving game, really. Anything typically viewed as a console/arcade genre will undoubtedly play better with a controller. RPGs can go either way, if they're console-style, controller feels best, ones with a UI designed for mouse and keyboard are usually unplayable unless you're using one, even if they do offer controller options.

For FPS and shooting games, where precision is (usually) key, I would always prefer a keybaord and mouse. I can use a 260 or even an N64 controller, but my aim suffers severely as a result..

For everything else - Fighting games, platformers, even many RPGs - Give me a game pad!