Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Worst mapping error in iwads?

What's the worst mapping error in iwads? Can you break any maps? Maybe get an overflow of some kind? To make this question harder, let's say that TNT Map31 yellow key is already fixed by that patch.

The "patch" itself is an error, as it's quite literally just an independent patch WAD file, rather than a differential fix to the IWAD file itself.

As for mapping errors/breakages, IWAD speedruns can reveal plenty of them, to the point where one wonders what's the point in playing normally, since speedrunning is both faster and (apparently) easier, since you can skip so much stuff.

I was mostly referring to skipping apparently compulsory locked doors, switch hunting, puzzle solving etc.

Oh, by "break" I meant like get stuck and similar. Preferably not via a speedrunning trick like glide that was discovered years after release of the game and is easily forgivable.

In E5M8 of Heretic, the flats start going wild if you go to a certain spot and look in a certain direction (I believe it's near one of the outer walls and you look across the map), but only after the maulotaurs are dead and the columns have lowered. I'm guessing it's because it hits the visplane limit, but doesn't crash.

You get stuck in E3M9 if you lock the start door but manage to slip through before it closes. Then you will never be able to get back to reach the exit.

In E3M2 of Doom, you can get stuck in the index finger area if you hit the switch at the end of the finger before the door at the beginning closes completely.

Hoodie said:

Let's just say "The end of Tricks and Traps" early so it's out of the way.

I doubt it's an error.

A map that has "traps" in the name has a trap at the end. There's little surprising about that.

How about being trapped in the exit room of The Factory, because the door is marked as a red key door, but there is no red key in the map.

So the near unkillable archvile in Map27 of Plutonia.
The same trick of reviving chaingunners is used a few time in this wad, but the archvile is either teleported in or crushed later in the level. Here, nothing.

scifista42 said:

You get stuck in E3M9 if you lock the start door but manage to slip through before it closes. Then you will never be able to get back to reach the exit.

Good one, I never thought of this.

Of course inescapable pits that kill you are not bugs.

Funny that id did try to fix the permanently closing doors in some maps, for multiplayer. It seems they didn't catch them all.

cannonball said:

So the near unkillable archvile in Map27 of Plutonia.
The same trick of reviving chaingunners is used a few time in this wad, but the archvile is either teleported in or crushed later in the level. Here, nothing.

Can't you just kill it with rockets? But I've never been there so I don't know (I know of Twilight that it has them).

I agree that:
- E3M2 has a stupidly morbid bug with getting stuck forever. Unlike the E3M9 problem, it can easily happen accidentally.
- MAP21 can be skipped because of too big width between the locked bars
- I think MAP16 is subject to that as well.

Can we limit the discussion to critical errors like player getting stuck, map crashing or completely visually breaking? I think that's what Memfis meant. Deliberate inescapable damaging pits, impossible 100% statistics and annoying design choices were a subject of other threads.

Sometimes killing the last arachnotron on MAP07 makes the tagged floor raise two times, making the map impossible to finish unless you jump (in modern source ports) or use idclip.

printz said:

Funny that id did try to fix the permanently closing doors in some maps, for multiplayer. It seems they didn't catch them all.
Can't you just kill it with rockets? But I've never been there so I don't know (I know of Twilight that it has them).

Yeah, there are Arch-viles within pillars in Map15 that endlessly resurrect the Chaingunners. However, near the end of the level, a crusher is activated and the Arch-viles are eventually killed.

In Map27, there is the same thing, however, there doesn't appear to be a way to kill the Arch-vile. The floor height of the Chaingunner is 224, and the floor height of the Arch-vile is 96. That's too far apart to be hit by splash damage, right?

Plus, there doesn't appear to be a crusher or something that takes care of the Arch-vile. Maybe you can get lucky and blast the Chaingunner off its platform so the Arch-vile can't get to it?

Gothic said:

Sometimes killing the last arachnotron on MAP07 makes the tagged floor raise two times, making the map impossible to finish unless you jump (in modern source ports) or use idclip.

It is when you kill the last one before the second to last one fully dies. Happens to the mancs also(I think). Can be avoided if careful.

Gothic said:

It generally happens when two Arachnotrons are killed in quick succession. When this happens, you can still exit the level. Get on the northwest or northeast platforms (which are the ones closest to the exit platform) where the Manucbi were on, face the exit platform, and run onto it. It's best to do this when lined up with the corners of the platform.

For Plutonia Map27, on DSDA there is a demo by Vile where he kills that vile (ba dum tss) with splash damage, but it takes quite a while.

e4m1 lower the wall around the NIN secret using the torch, then cross the NIN and go into the blue key area. The wall raises in front of you revealing a big HOM, and as far as I can tell you're stuck where the blue key is. I always start the level over if it happens to me.

The Gibbet. That is all.

Also, as a cleric, it's easy to kill Korax before he has a chance to teleport away and open the doors leading to the exit. As a result, you cannot leave without using noclip.

Then there's Doom 2's map 6. When you open the red key door, don't ever try to use the door tracks there.

Ichor said:
Then there's Doom 2's map 6. When you open the red key door, don't ever try to use the door tracks there. [/B]

haha what a great find
dosbox paused for like fifteen seconds to think about what just happened

They have a "DR Door Open Wait Close (fast)" special - on a 1-sided wall! Now that's an error. I've never knew about it. Nice find.

The E3M2 and E4M1 bugs are very bad, too - I think I've encountered and triggered both of them without knowing about them before.

Ichor said:

Then there's Doom 2's map 6. When you open the red key door, don't ever try to use the door tracks there.

Oh snap! Chocorenderlimits crashes immediately, vanilla in DosBox hangs for several seconds but then I can play normally again... What happens in pure DOS?

I can definitely imagine a clumsy player pressing that by accident, this is pretty serious!

peach freak said:

That's too far apart to be hit by splash damage, right?

Wrong. Are you using ZDoom? On Doom the splash damage has no vertical limit.

I think I get stuck in E3M2 more often than I don't, so I'll go with that one. The MAP06 door track is more severe, but I've never activated that on accident.

Plutonia MAP27 has this hole which you can access via straferunning, possibly thinking it's a secret. You will fall down to an inescapable room which has a STUCCO floor, one part of the floor is damaging and the other part is not. It's totally an error. In addition, if you fall there before you trigger a certain linedef that releases monsters, the damaging part of that room won't be accessible anyway.