Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Guitar Hero is Back. Be Very Afraid

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/activision-unveils--guitar-hero-live---due-out-this-year-004349388.html

After 5 years of peace, Activision unveils Guitar Hero: Live. It includes online play, live action audiences that respond to how awful you mess up, and six buttons instead of five, set in two rows of three, which creates new kinds of button combos.

There's only a small list of bands so far, such as The Rolling Stone, MCR, Lumineers, Fall out Boy, Green Day, and... Uh... Hold on, this can't be right... Skrillex?

I knew that Band something coming back would awaken the beast to decimate it. Everyone was so stoked about Rock Band returning, but no one ever talks about it. Its always Guitar Hero that gets talked about and played.

I remember when these wannabe rock star games were all anyone ever talked about. Rockband, Guitar Hero, The Beatles: Rock Band, Guitar Hero: Van Halen etc. They've definitely died out for a number of years now, maybe this (along with the announced Rockband 4) will revive rhythm games a little? They sure are fun with a bunch of friends over, I must admit.

RUSH said:

I remember when these wannabe rock star games were all anyone ever talked about. Rockband, Guitar Hero, The Beatles: Rock Band, Guitar Hero: Van Halen etc. They've definitely died out for a number of years now, maybe this (along with the announced Rockband 4) will revive rhythm games a little? They sure are fun with a bunch of friends over, I must admit.

One of the developers closed and was purchased for $50 a few years ago. One of my friends that works for Nickelback mentioned there was a royalty dispute that would prevent the music games from making profit.

ill look forward to htis, i have fond memores from high shool about playing guitarhero with my friends, we always claimed we hated it and kept critisizing it, but once we got to the home of the kid with the play we would play it all afternoon. we atayed over to play this thing so often that we all called his mom mom

As a guitar player I was never threatened by this... Well maybe a little at first. But really, it's a fun rhythm game to play with good music.

Afraid? Afraid of what? Hundreds of shitty YT videos recorded with a mobile phone? Scores of morons who think they can play guitar because they can now hit six buttons ("That's almost the same as six strings!")?

Shit, I'm terrified already.

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a second hand GH Guitar and I just can't find one, it's like the game never made it to Australia or something. The only ones for x360/Wii I can find are like $90 when you factor in shipping, it's total horse shit. The PS3 ones are a dime a dozen, and surprise, I don't own a PS3... It sucks ass because it's such a fun party game.

For this stupid current generation, I think so.

Leave this franchise dead, ffs.

Technician said:

Did they just reduce the controls down to three buttons?

If you bothered to read the OP, it's six buttons. Supposedly the two rows of three buttons is to make a more genuine (?) guitar experience.

Inkie said:

Mario Party is also more effective at removing friends from your life.

Only the shitty ones you never really liked anyway.

Mario Party has gone down hill since 8, 9 and 10, moreso the last two mentioned.

Honestly, I just miss playing the original two games. I didn't even like Guitar Hero 3 - there was something they changed about the controls, I could never quite put my finger on what, that made them feel too loose. Like, the songs were harder, but at the same time, it was a little more forgiving of timing mistakes. Hell, I'd still be playing Guitar Hero on my PS2 if I hadn't lost my guitar controller (one of these days, I need to get around to buying a replacement - funny I can remember back when Gamestop and later Goodwill were full of used Guitar Hero controllers, but now they seem to have disappeared).

Ah, the game I hated mercilessly on but still played ad nauseam at my friends' houses and had a great time. I liked Rock Band better but only one person had that and she was never around.

I'd rather see this return; never played it personally but would watch my buddy master it - I dunno if it's hindsight or nostalgia but it seems to have required more skill.

I'm not sure if I'll give the new GH a go or not. None of my IRL friends have consoles anymore so if any of us get it, it'll have to be me. On the other hand, it gives people a reason to come hang out I guess. Although if it takes GH to do that...meh.

Also, Skrillex? Seriously? I love most forms of techno, don't get me wrong, but that guy just needs to GTFO already.

BaronOfStuff said:

So's Mario Party, and when playing that you don't end up looking like a total fucking gimp in the process.

I agree, but you can only play so much Mario Party before you want something a bit different. (Also, awesome, an Ashens video I haven't seen yet!)

At least it's not DDR....

...Which I also love, truth be told.

EDIT: Fuck me that Ashen's video is hilarious.. "The closest you'll ever come to feeling like a real rock star".. Fucking LOL.

Avoozl said:

Mario Party has gone down hill since 8, 9 and 10, moreso the last two mentioned.

Definitely true, but 1 - 7 have more than enough content if you're in the Mario Party mood!

I think people here often forget that learning an instrument is a commitment. Guitar Hero provides a quick and easy way to interact with music and have fun with friends, cheaply. I own Rocksmith, but again, it's more arduous and provides less instant gratification for people who just want to have fun with music.

Netherstorm said:

Ohhhh yeeeaah! Skrillex!!!

...what?

Yah, man. Doesn't Skrillex just scream Guitar Solos and Rock n Roll?

Technician said:

I think people here often forget that learning an instrument is a commitment. Guitar Hero provides a quick and easy way to interact with music and have fun with friends, cheaply. I own Rocksmith, but again, it's more arduous and provides less instant gratification for people who just want to have fun with music.

This.

Every time a Guitar Hero thread pops up, it's always got the people going "wow it doesnt even teach u guitar..." or "PLAY REAL GUITAR/ROCKSMITH/WHATEVER" but sometimes people just want to play a game to have fun. Not everything has to be some kind of learning experience.

Clonehunter said:

After 5 years of peace, Activision unveils Guitar Hero: Live. It includes online play, live action audiences that respond to how awful you mess up, and six buttons instead of five, set in two rows of three, which creates new kinds of button combos.

Technician said:

Guitar Hero provides a quick and easy way to interact with music and have fun with friends, cheaply.

I use Traktor DJ for that. Cheaper than GH, too.