• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Valiant + Sawdust demos [-complevel 11]

Valiant DSDA page

Sawdust DSDA page

Post your demos for Valiant here.

This is a 32 map MBF megawad using advanced features, so -complevel 11 and at least a prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 version dated to 2015 are required. You might get away with using Eternity. Get it right, who knows what hell you might unleash otherwise. The suggested naming convention is vaXY-ZZZ.lmp, where XY is the map number and ZZZ is the time. Replace the "-" with a letter to represent categories such as NM (n), fast (f), tyson (t), pacifist (p) or nomo (o).

idgames download link: Valiant (final)

You can also post Sawdust demos here, since it's a collection of "Valiant scrap" - maps not good enough to be included in the main wad, but still relevant to this thread.

Edited by Maribo

MD922 said:

Map 05 Nomonsters in 24.71
Was testing out the linedef skip in map 5, and it's quite hard. I don't know if in Nomo it saves time, but in UV-Speed it's saves quite some deaths :p
I will probably improve your run soon AD_79.

Sure, improve my run right after I get it...

I see how it is.

EDIT: Looks like you didn't link your demo.

Nev: one missed monster on Map08 unfortunately - http://i.imgur.com/u6f3VkS.png

I was surprised to see that this map took only 4 minutes, it felt quite long on FDA. I don't like how they changed the music though, I'm already too used to the Plutonia 2 version so the new one just sounds wrong to me.

Btw is there a Doom Builder config for this wad? It's just weird to learn maps in the editor with stuck masterminds everywhere.

Edit: Wrong demo and missed a monster in the end - credit to memfis for directing me to show true monster count.

Wrong upload? The demo plays on MAP01 and lasts less than a second.

By the way, to see true monster count go to Options->Setup->Status Bar / HUD, go to the second page and set "smart totals" to NO: http://i.imgur.com/kyczEQO.png

After that you should be able to see the number of killed and currently alive monsters on the alternative HUD (press "+" a few times to see it). If you don't, try F5, which cycles through various HUDs.

Turns out my Map 05 Nomo in 24.71 does playback correctly with valiant.wad (I had recorded it with valiantrc2.wad)
So in Map 05, you can open the 3 key door with ONLY blue and red keycards (weird huh)
Here is demos showing this.
Map 05 UV-Speed in 48 (Sorry AD_79, just had to.)
Map 05 Nomo in 23 (Not optimal, just showing the trick :))

va05o023.zip

Random Map 02 trick you missed. You can rocketjump to the yellow key switch :p

MD922 said:

So in Map 05, you can open the 3 key door with ONLY blue and red keycards (weird huh)

Wow, this is ridiculous. I wonder if this is a prboom bug... or a faithfully recreated MBF bug. Or skillsaw's key hack. I can tell you this wasn't planned.
edit: After a bit of poking around, this influences all the maps with the same type of linedef. That particular action is completely fucked, welp.
edit2: This is a MBF-related bug, since it won't work with complevel 9. I guess that's why no one ever noticed it. Thanksssss, MBF.

(Also stop recording on RC2 and update to the final version, kthx.)

My new 23 demo is done on Valiant.wad (final update)
and yeah, it pretty crazy having a bug like that. That could mean most levels could be done quickly.

Haha, well this will make some maps quite a bit shorter. :D Is it always the yellow key that you don't need?

This is fucked up, either prboom gets a fix or the wad does. This can't stay. It doesn't happen in Zdoom, of course.

edit: Fuck you, Lee Killough. Looks like this version isn't the final one after all.

MD922 said:

If this bug goes away, rip 23 being close to doable :'(

I'm actually fine with that. Bugs like THIS should be fixed.

Did I forget to attach my UV-Speed from map 05? I'll leave it here until the bug is fixed and also:
Map 26 UV-Speed in 24
Map 02 Nomo in 16

vademos.zip