Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

Is it possible to play both Doom 1 and 2 WADs on a single IWAD?

I get sick and tired of constantly seeing a great level, then finding out it's for Doom 1, and not Doom 2. Is there a way to get around this without illegal methods?

Welllll I GUESS you could download the Freedoom Doom 1 IWAD and then use a program like SLADE to replace all the assets with the Doom 2 versions, leaving only the handful of Doom 1-only graphics and so forth intact. Of course, such a Frankenstein IWAD would fail any CRC check that apparently various ports do.

edit: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/62754-using-doom1-wad-shareware-doom-as-a-resource-pwad/ is relevant. It sounds like PrBoom-plus will accept a command line like "prboom-plus -iwad freedoom.wad -file doom2.wad whatever.wad" . This should take the Freedoom Doom 1 IWAD and replace almost everything with the normal stuff found in Doom 2, but still be recognized as a "Doom 1" game.

Also, you could just load it in Doom 2 using ZDoom, and then type "map e1m1" (or whatever) at the console. I feel like this should basically always work?

What would combining the IWADS even change? it'd still only have Doom 1 monsters and resources in said custom map.

Linguica said:

It sounds like PrBoom-plus will accept a command line like "prboom-plus -iwad freedoom.wad -file doom2.wad whatever.wad" . This should take the Freedoom Doom 1 IWAD and replace almost everything with the normal stuff found in Doom 2, but still be recognized as a "Doom 1" game.

Thanks, the Freedoom thing you mentioned worked. Kudos to you, good sir! :)

Isn't the PSX TC essentially both iwads with colored lighting and new sfx and all that jazz?

I have no idea how that mod was legal.. But it is fun!

If you use a port that can play any arbitrary map slot, like ZDoom, you can load a Doom PWAD in Doom II, then type "map e1m1" in the console to get there.

However, there will be some problems anyway. First, the MAPINFO stuff for Doom will not be loaded, so the maps will have no sky, no music, no name, and no next map unless you load your own MAPINFO (or one was included in the mod).

Secondly, there are texture differences. Several Doom textures are missing from Doom II, and several other textures have the same name but are actually different (mostly true for STEP and switch textures). So the map might end up looking wrong, with missing textures here and there.

Even back in 1994 there was a "mod" which allowed you to play Doom 1 maps in Doom 2: it was basically a PWAD which contained the missing Doom 1 textures and flats from Doom 2. You still had to manually edit the ExMy level descriptor lump to something like MAPxx, and usually you would get misaligned textures on a lot of maps. Don't bother looking for it on idgames, for obvious reasons.

This one was pre-Ultimate Doom BTW.

Are there any source ports that just let you use the SSG in Doom 1 if you supply a PWAD with the sprites and sound effects?

Zdoom based ports ought to since the SSG actor is defined.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:SuperShotgun

In practice, you could run around in Hexen with Doom guns if you supplied the sprites and sounds.

A more obvious example is Samsara (Zdoom mod with classes which you can take to any game, Doomguy in Strife, Duke in Hexen, etc), which will let you pick up the SSG with the Automap while in Ultimate Doom.

Quest for the Necronomicon actually used the SSG codepointers in Ultimate Doom (vanilla), for its Blunderbuss weapon. However you still only had one weapon in slot 3 (I think?)

But in general, most source ports will allow you to "keep" both the SSG and normal SG, if somehow you manage to pick it up or give it to the player. I think even vanilla Doom will be fooled with an edited savegame giving you a weapon in "slot 8". There are a few checks for preventing the use of the SSG in Doom 1 games, but they only affect the IDFA/IDKFA cheats and SSG item spawns, I think, so it's still possible to get around them.

Fredrik said:

Are there any source ports that just let you use the SSG in Doom 1 if you supply a PWAD with the sprites and sound effects?

Eternity.

The relevant Quest For The Necronomicon behavior: that mod supplies sprites for the SSG, and at least ZDoom leaves you with two selectable weapons in slot 3 ("repeating pistol" and "blunderbuss") if you cheat. Normally, you only get one of these weapons in slots 3 and 4, respectively.

Fredrik said:

Crispy Doom since Version 1.3

Avoozl said:

I honestly don't see the point.

In playing Doom 1 with the SSG? It's fun, you should try it. If you think it's too unbalanced, try with e.g. "-fast" or "-fliplevels".