Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #15

I made a map which should be suitable for a new contest I think. It's not very big or awesome but it is something. For those who don't know, basically FDC is when a new map is posted, everyone immediately starts recording a FDA and the best total time (including failed attepmts) wins.

I'm thinking of starting it at April 18 (Saturday), 14:00 UTC. Would that be okay for everyone? If not, please tell which time would you prefer and I'll try to find a compromise.

What date and time would suit you? Everything is subject to change depending on what people say. I just wrote that time so we can start from somewhere.

If I'm able to, then yes. 14:00 would be 7:00 my time, it seems, so hopefully I'd be awake by then.

im working saturdays from 6 am till 14-15, so Id gladly partecipate if it would be around 15-16 european time (those uc utc shiz always confuses me...)

European time = this? If yes, then it's UTC+1, so 14:00 UTC will be 15:00 at your place. Maybe a bit early for you and especially for AD_79 (playing at 7 am...), so for now I'll move the starting time to 15:00 UTC. Waiting for more people to comment.

I'd like to, and can probably make it, but not 100% sure. It would be 4pm my time (South Africa) and I'm going out for a lunch meeting, and there is a chance of it dragging out a bit, and I usually don't like the idea of excusing myself from a social gathering to play a game alone at home. :)

Yeah, Sunday would be better, that way I wouldn't have this and ASS to do on the same day :P

Here is the wad in a passworded archive. The password will be revealed in one hour.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr09fmxxhfvfnjt/FDCM15.zip
mirror - http://rghost.ru/8Xbw6lJT2 (click on the black button to download)

The map should be played in prboom-plus with -iwad DOOM2.WAD and -complevel 2. There is only one map this time. If you die, press "use" to retry, don't quit the game.

This form will be used for uploading demos: http://fdc.iddqd.ru/

Here is the suggested *.bat file for recording: http://rghost.ru/8pQXLWjcg / mirror

Let's begin!

Password: smoothtearsofeternalcriminals

When you're done recording, name your demo like "FDC15-NICKNAME.LMP" (replace NICKNAME with your nick) and send via this upload form: http://fdc.iddqd.ru/

Cool map Mem; a bit short yeah but I think the layout is confusing enough to make up for it a little. Better a short FDC than no FDC anyway. Don't think I did too well this time but sent my demo nevertheless.

Thank you Veinen. I received 8 demos already, if other people have some comments\complaints about the map, I'll be glad to hear them! It's not so easy to make a good level for this contest.

Thanks for organizing. Very good level. I missed the rocket launcher (thinking it would be revealed later) and ran out of ammo, but it's probably me, not bad design.

Ouch. I was afraid that someone might miss the RL, that's why I even put an arrow on the floor. Seems like that wasn't a perfect solution...

By the way, haven't received any new demos in the last 25 minutes so I'll probably reveal the results soon. They will be pretty interesting!

And here are the results! Now you will understand why Veinen called the map short...

$  Player           Total   Deaths   Last   Kil-Sec  Filename  
----------------------------------------------------------------

1  Veinen            7:19     0       7:19     79-0   fdc15vei     
2  Archi            16:43     0      16:43  103-100   fdc15arc    
3  Beginner         18:54     2      10:18     98-0   fdc15beg    

4  Yak-9U           20:47     3      12:04    100-0   fdc15yak   
5  Tatsurd-cacocaco 34:45    10       7:09     98-0   fdc15tat
6  eLim             39:37    24       8:58     98-0   fdc15eli
7  vdgg             46:52     8      11:12  102-100   fdc15vdg

Chaingunner       5:13     1       DNF       -\-   fdc15cha  
Thanks for playing everyone, congratulations to Veinen for such an impressive win, props to people who didn't give up after several deaths and a special mention to Archi and vdgg for being the only players that found the secret. :) See you again (hopefully) soon!

DOWNLOAD the archive with all demos.

damn had stuff to do right after my post and returned now, ill give it a go nonethless :| starting in few mins
edit: k wow, no after dinner xd

eLim - 39:37 - 24 deaths

Hehe, my attempt looked something like this except I didn't dare to upload.

Do you use the Opulent's tool to get the statistics? Because I only got it to work accidentally (absolutely no idea how) once. But I guess that has something to do with that I can only try using it on Linux or in a virtual machine.

I agree Opulent's tool is not easy to use: he just made sure that it works and didn't attempt to make it very user-friendly. You have to forgive him: it was made for a very specific task, so in a way anything other than a quick dirty job would have been a waste of time. And no, this time I didn't use it: I just looked at the total time on alternative hud, final time and stats on the intermission screen and also counted deaths from stdout.txt ("P_GetNodesVersion" means that a map is loaded\restarted).

wow. evil map for me, i died 6-7 times without reaching any key, but ive to leave home again so no demo from me! gonna watch the others now :9