Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Consumed earth: 7 map community project(on IDgames!)

Will you join?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join?

• Yes
    • No

Here are all of the levels (on IDgames): http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/consumed

Doom has E4 and Doom 2 doesn't?

The ending of Doom 2 mentions doomguy going back home through ruined places by demons.

The aim of this project is to make 10 maps that will fit the plot of the ending, but inactivity led this project a big step backwards and made this project have 7 maps instead of 10 as originally planed.

Rules:
-No lights, only organic lights allowed(torches, fire, etc.)
-No more than 299 monsters
-Vanilla only(no seg overflows, at all)
-Only doom 2 MIDI's allowed(1 for each map, so claim your MIDI's so they won't be repeated twice in the episode)
-No doors(unless they're broken, bars are accepted)
-To make this episode feel like a journey, make exits and starts more compatible to fit other maps starts and finishes in there. (This rule isn't existing in MAP01's start and MAP07's exit)

Pictures from MAP05:

Spoiler

Mappers:
1)MAP01 - D_DM2INTR - Joe-ilya - Back
2)MAP02 - D_OPENIN - walter confalonieri - Valley of the damned
3)MAP03 - D_STALKS - 40oz - Ghetto
4)MAP04 - D_MESSAG - ChaingunnerX - Earth lab
5)MAP05 - D_READ_M - Joe-ilya - Respawning vats
6)MAP06 - D_ROMERO - nxGangrel - Wicked city
7)MAP07 - D_AMPIE - joe-ilya - Home

what's the rationale behind disallowing tech-lights, but including computer/circuit textures (as shown in your third shot)?

I quite like the idea but I'm not sure about the rules. I wouldn't be participating anyway as I'm sticking to me own stuff for now.

The screenshots in the OP look convincingly Sandy Petersen-esque, moderately elaborate while rather ugly. Nothing great, but for a fictional "Doom 2 E4" it would work. I can see the rationale behind disallowing tech lights (despite allowing techbase textures) as a way to induce "E4 feel" as Joe might see fitting. I don't think I'll join, but I wish you good luck.

@EffinghamHuffnagel I see it as an Xbox special, nothing that follows doom2's plot.
@Jaws In Space: Ruined earth is the theme, the hellish cave is actually a volcano.
@Ribbiks What @jmickle666 said.
@jmickle66666666 You're in!

It has been indeed: http://justindoom.angelfire.com/ Oh wait, the one you're talking about is "THE ultimate doom 2", so nevermind.
Imo it doesn't matter anyway, I think noone has the right to "monopolize" a wad name. Why shouldn't I be able to call a wad "Kentucky Fried Wad" just because someone used it before? Seems unfair, that guy isn't any better than me just because he had the same idea. Also I wonder if id have something to say about these names.

I think it's because it's more of a generic name that it could cause confusion. "Oh wanna play Ultimate Doom II?" ..."Sure I'll boot it up"..." NO the OTHER one...not the shit one!"

:P

Call it "Consumed Earth" (E4+D2 name) or "AfterSin" (happenings after beating the Icon of Sin). ;)

nxGangrel said:

May I join in? I would love to contribute a map or two.

You're more than appreciated to make a map or even three for this.(aimed at everyone)

@scifista42 Good ideas! I'll use "Consumed earth".

jmickle66666666 said:

the computers/circuit textures are assumed to not be working, but tech-lights are too bright to be broken/turned off.

i assume, anyway.

I thought it worked great in MAP04 The Focus.

Anyway, I have a map that Im no longer using for a different project. I'm sure I could repurpose it to fit within the criteria of this episode. A cross between Doom 2 Hell on Earth and Thy Flesh Consumed sounds like an awesome idea. My map is a little short but its got some big monsters in it, like a few archviles, some revenants, a secret cyberdemon, etc. I'll leave you in charge of what mapslot it goes in. I'd like D_STALKS for music please :)

Are we allowed to name our maps? Any rules about gameplay or anything? Are you sure about no doors? Not even an exit door? Does that include monster closets?

This isn't a cross between E4 and Doom2, it's just a continuation for doom2. Check the OP for more details. You could cross E4 and doom2 if you want, though.
You can name your maps however you want, and don't make them slaughtery, your description sounds like MAP20 of doom2.

Either way, you're in!

40oz said:

Are you sure about no doors? Not even an exit door? Does that include monster closets?

I bet that joe-ilya read skillsaw's comment about doors being generally bad for gameplay, and he decided to take it as a literal dogma.

Literal doors that you open.

You can use bars, monster closets, but no doors that you open with the knowledge that they will. Broken doors are allowed.

joe-ilya said:

no doors that you open with the knowledge that they will.

May I ask what's your exact reason to enforce this rule?

scifista42 said:

I bet that joe-ilya read skillsaw's comment about doors being generally bad for gameplay, and he decided to take it as a literal dogma.

I'd take it more as "something different" for gameplay sake. I can see rules like this as a way for more interesting level design. Otherwise it could(would) ruin an entire map.

scifista42 said:

May I ask what's your exact reason to enforce this rule?

Earth is ruined, nothing works, demons left keyed doors because they felt they were useful, the demons set up monster closets and left all the necessary mechanics, lifts, raising stairs, whatever. They only broke the unnessecary stuff(regular doors, lights) because it made too much noise.

You know what? I have a half idea for a short map (if a short map it's ok) for this project... It will use D_OPENIN

joe-ilya said:

Earth is ruined, nothing works, demons left keyed doors because they felt they were useful, the demons set up monster closets and left all the necessary mechanics, lifts, raising stairs, whatever. They only broke the unnessecary stuff(regular doors, lights) because it made too much noise.

Applying real logic to monster closets is way too meta.

U.O.D. said:

Applying real logic to monster closets is way too meta.

It's pretty normal for Joe, I'd say.