Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoodie

Doom ported AGAIN but to 3ds.

So, I've recently bought a 3DS for reasons. Playing games with the 3D turned on is kinda neat and I would think Doom is perfect for it. Like, every "thing" can be enabled with 3D and because of the weird depth the 3DS has it would look really rad. Does anyone have a 3DS here? Do you think it would be a good idea to port Doom over to the 3DS just so it looks cooler?

It would be neat, however taking advantage of the New 3DS would probably be better- more processing power and all.

It's Doom, I'm pretty sure it doesn't even need the extra processing power, especially considering the far weaker Original DS managed to get the PC Doom on it via homebrew perfectly fine. Heck, the GBA had a port of Doom II on it and, other than vanishing corpses and a couple of the levels being split in half, it was pretty much intact. Advanced source ports are another story but, as far as Vanilla Doom goes, the 3DS could do that in it sleep.

MetroidJunkie said:

Heck, the GBA had a port of Doom II on it and, other than vanishing corpses and a couple of the levels being split in half, it was pretty much intact.

Actually the GBA port used an entirely different engine from its PC counterpart.

Avoozl said:

Actually the GBA port used an entirely different engine from its PC counterpart.

Fair enough but you get my point. Full PC Doom, with stereoscopic 3D, should be absolutely no trouble at all for the 3DS, given the Original DS was able to run Doom, Quake, and (with an expansion GBA RAM slot) Quake II.

MetroidJunkie said:

Fair enough but you get my point.

I believe Avoozl got your point. Correcting you was simply a matter of the fact that some people feel a need to correct misleading info wherever they see it (even if it's not so important in given context), just for convenience of future readers (avoiding misinformation). I'm also often like that. :)

Super Flip said:

As nice as it would be to have an official release, I don't think there's enough of a demand for Bethesda/Zenimax/"Whoever owns iD's properties" to green light it.

I know it would never happen, it was seems like it would be a good idea if someone got it to be official.

Maybe with Doom 4 hype...

They sadly didn't release an official Doom on PSP, NDS etc.

I don't know why they didn't port their Doom Classic code to these handhelds, very disappointing. Thank god for hacking+homebrew.

I'd be happy to see a all-in-one Doom (Doom, II, Final Doom, Master Levels) in one cart. Hopefully when iD un-busy themselves with Doom 4 they can make a proper port to 3DS.

scifista42 said:

I believe Avoozl got your point. Correcting you was simply a matter of the fact that some people feel a need to correct misleading info wherever they see it (even if it's not so important in given context), just for convenience of future readers (avoiding misinformation). I'm also often like that. :)

Well, even if it's not the same engine, it's the exact same levels completely intact, save for those two levels that had to be split in half because of their size. Unlike the first GBA Doom, that used the toned down Jaguar levels, Doom II used the level designs from the PC version.

MetroidJunkie said:

Well, even if it's not the same engine, it's the exact same levels completely intact, save for those two levels that had to be split in half because of their size. Unlike the first GBA Doom, that used the toned down Jaguar levels, Doom II used the level designs from the PC version.

Not entirely true. Various changes are made to control line of sight distances and scene complexity. Also, for some bizarre reason, the maps are based on v1.666 instead of v1.9.

Regardless, the game engine's mechanics feel awful to anybody who's played the real game. The player's weapons are particularly bad, often defying all logic in their ability to avoid doing damage to monsters (point blank SSG blast not likely to kill a demon, for example).

Guess the GBA wasn't quite powerful enough to run Doom 2 without some considerable sacrifices. In any case, the DS certainly had enough and then some to easily run the full PC Vanilla Doom via the homebrew scene. Unless I'm mistaken, the port even carried over Boom functionality so it was a little better than Vanilla. I imagine the 3DS would breeze through the more simple ports of Doom, it might only have some trouble with ZDoom based ports since the scripting system is vastly more complex than just regular Doom.