Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zoost

Digital characters learn to move

That would be cool for doom3.. now they can fire the shrek animator guy :P

Um, I thought the licensed technology they're using in the new Unreal games (I forget what it's called) already did this.

Yeah, thats what it seems to be, Although I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to the system than that. However, something like this is still relatively new for games, so it's still interesting.

[edit] That reminds me, Doom 3 seems to be using a system like that as well (Like HavoK, but Built by id) so I'd say that in regards to Doom3 this stuff won't be needed, and it's also been mentioned that due to problems id has had in the past with licensing engine systems like sound for example, that they will make it inhouse [/edit]

As I read the article it seems a bit different than "normal" physics engines beacause normal physics engines are used to implement mainly gravity and collision behaviour. This engine controls the way "muscles" of characters behave to a dynamic environment based on a kind of thinking routine from the character itself. The example they use in the artical:

"So if it was walking over a swaying bridge, the character would react to the swaying."

So I quess the character will try to stay on two legs and try to balance. I don't think Havok or the mathengine will accomplish this.

//exuse my english

Zoost's reply

I totally agree with you, Zoost. This engine "controls body" (as I can see). Havok is physisc's engine that "controls objects"..

The_Tonx said:

I totally agree with you, Zoost. This engine "controls body" (as I can see). Havok is physisc's engine that "controls objects"..

What kinda body parts and objects?=)

That's all well and good, but I don't want to see situations in games such as 'Baron's first steps'. The learning is nice but when I play a game I don't want to see a nursery.

Some stuff will still need to be pre-defined.

Heh, I'm sure the learning period wouldn't be in-game, it would be done in the developement process.

I'd love to see a baron in a diaper taking his first steps. Come to think of it, I'd love to see pretty much any Doom monster in diapers.

Yeah, this is more than just a physics engine. This is evolutionary algorithm stuff. The point, I believe, is to allow the computer to create unique motion for unique geometry. Thereby, locomotion will be a general command to the characters which will be performed consistently with their body type and probably some sort of "personality factor" ie agressive, cautious, etc.

You can probably create any character geometry(a thin guy, fat guy, thin girl with big heavy boobs :) and the center of mass will be considered and after some heavy physics crunching an algorithm is generated that describes how the character can stay on his feet.

There is some kickass robot research being done in Japan that implements a random path generation/evolution/selection routine and the robot can figure out how to accomplish some goal. For instance: pick up the cup underneath the table and put it on top of the table. Anyway, this is fantastic! I'm glad they are making progress applying this stuff to games! :D